GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutchless ignition update: solved (maybe)

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks again for posting this.

Which fuse location did you plug the add a circuit into?

Also, how did your wire in the delay circuit. I’m assuming into the add a circuit.
Electrics are not one of my strengths but I can get by with some detailed instructions.

Which switch did you get and from where?

Thanks!!

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Thanks again for posting this.

Which fuse location did you plug the add a circuit into?

Also, how did your wire in the delay circuit. I’m assuming into the add a circuit.
Electrics are not one of my strengths but I can get by with some detailed instructions.

Which switch did you get and from where?

Thanks!!

Same fuse location everyone uses for ethanol sensors, radar detectors, dashcams, etc. There's many threads explaining which ones do what - I don't remember offhand exactly which. Yes, you use an add a circuit. The delay switch has all kinds of docs and even vids that go with it explaining how you use it. There's a link to it at the start of this thread.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My bad, I will go back and look for the link. I missed that.

What about the switch? Is that in the link as well?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
My bad, I will go back and look for the link. I missed that.

What about the switch? Is that in the link as well?

I don't know what you mean by "switch". The logic circuit? That has a link in this thread.

The On/Off controller in the cubby? That's this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9JWVVR

But you could use literally any small on/off for that.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Pretty much.

What I did, was first I got in there and made sure I could find the divots and the mount's two tongues would slide in properly. I made a couple of dots on top of the housing approximately where I thought the holes would line up, if I had Xray vision and could actually see through. I used a black marker for that.

Then, in order to get it exact, what I did was cut a little piece of paper out that was the size of the tongues and tape it on ...

understood thanks. are you still going to a full-fledged DIY?.... i don't know exactly when i will tackle this.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
understood thanks. are you still going to a full-fledged DIY?.... i don't know exactly when i will tackle this.

I think this thread is probably enough. All the info is in here somewhere, or will be.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Any of you guys achieve success yet?
well, hats off to you. this is one pain in the butt thing to do. I tried positioning the stuff and either get the first VCDS control to shut off when retracted but not get an active for second control when pushed, or then gain the length (amount of magnets to two) and then I get the active for the second VCDS clutch control, but then retracted causes first VCDS control to not shut-off. really tough to find a good point where it works everytime. I have to continue to play with the assemblies until i can find a happy medium. wow, you must have really worked on it ALOT, and agree it's hard to maneuver yourself in the cramped area. real pain..hopefully i can work on it on another day..

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
well, hats off to you. this is one pain in the butt thing to do. I tried positioning the stuff and either get the first VCDS control to shut off when retracted but not get an active for second control when pushed, or then gain the length (amount of magnets to two) and then I get the active for the second VCDS clutch control, but then retracted causes first VCDS control to not shut-off. really tough to find a good point where it works everytime. I have to continue to play with the assemblies until i can find a happy medium. wow, you must have really worked on it ALOT, and agree it's hard to maneuver yourself in the cramped area. real pain..hopefully i can work on it on another day..

Yes, the difference between success and failure is literally just 1 or 2mm. Have you got the whole thing mounted up with the m3 screws?

You're getting maximum retraction on the solenoid by not using the usual c-clip stopper like I showed in the pics and vid?

You can also try flipping the magnets so the polarity is reversed. I remember it worked better / worse depending on if the outer magnet was facing North or South. Also you can try different magnet combos if you bought that whole kit.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, the difference between success and failure is literally just 1 or 2mm. Have you got the whole thing mounted up with the m3 screws?

yes I had it, but then the glued nuts fell off. when trying to unscrew and drill out more plastic so i have some more positioning advantage without drilling too much and ruining everything. have to mount them again. The angle sucks like you had said, and is hard to get good access with fingers.

You're getting maximum retraction on the solenoid by not using the usual c-clip stopper like I showed in the pics and vid?

yes correct.

You can also try flipping the magnets so the polarity is reversed. I remember it worked better / worse depending on if the outer magnet was facing North or South. Also you can try different magnet combos if you bought that whole kit.

good idea, i haven't tried that. I am using some pretty strong magnets. i have some other combo's I have to try too. just haven't found something that works yet. But I know I will. just need more time to play with it. ..for anyone else that is looking to do this. have a good amount of patience and a very slim arms/body. you'll need it. Ridebjj is a true pioneer..thanks again.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
I have it working.

I ended up tapping the bracket so I could thread through it instead of epoxying nuts in the back. I'll probably throw some loctite on the bolts just because. I didn't use the aluminum ones, I just used some regular button head 6-32s that I had laying around.

I also never got the nut for the solenoid so I had to cut a nut down to make it fit. That was a pain in the ass.

I tried doing double return springs since with how far the shaft can retract, it seemed like there wouldn't be enough pressure. Turns out there was too much pressure with the double springs and the solenoid couldn't actually get it started. If I tapped it with my finger it was fine. So I removed the second spring and it's been working.

I just have to mount my switch. I did a momentary toggle in the cubby. I'll probably do a button instead.

Thanks for the work figuring this all out. It's a hack and I wish it could be done in software instead, but it's a great solution anyway.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I have it working.

I ended up tapping the bracket so I could thread through it instead of epoxying nuts in the back. I'll probably throw some loctite on the bolts just because. I didn't use the aluminum ones, I just used some regular button head 6-32s that I had laying around.

I also never got the nut for the solenoid so I had to cut a nut down to make it fit. That was a pain in the ass.

I tried doing double return springs since with how far the shaft can retract, it seemed like there wouldn't be enough pressure. Turns out there was too much pressure with the double springs and the solenoid couldn't actually get it started. If I tapped it with my finger it was fine. So I removed the second spring and it's been working.

I just have to mount my switch. I did a momentary toggle in the cubby. I'll probably do a button instead.

Thanks for the work figuring this all out. It's a hack and I wish it could be done in software instead, but it's a great solution anyway.

Nice. Tapping the mount holes is a solid idea. I don't own a tap and die kit so I went the ghetto way.

For sure this is the hackiest hack that's ever been hacked.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
snip.......

It's a hack and I wish it could be done in software instead, but it's a great solution anyway.
I'm still holding out hope for someone to find the differences between the manual and DSG for starting the car. I think there might be some details there if someone can grab a full scan from both a manual and DSG car to compare the two.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
For sure this is the hackiest hack that's ever been hacked.

Idk if it's the hackiest.... But it's definitely up there. Lol.

Seriously, the bracket drawing was epic! My own prototype was the magnets stuck inside a bic pen mounted to a little L bracket.

Again though, it's too bad there's no easy way to do it with contact closures etc. It would be much nicer "electrically" instead of physically moving something into place. Maybe one day.