GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This is why you buy the spare tire kit

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Heading down to my mom's this past Sat to wrap up getting her moved into the new house. Along the way, I heard a pop and "said what the heck was that" and pressed on. After a few miles down the road, starting hearing weird noise from the rear end of the car. Rolled down the window and heard that "woosh/woosh/woosh" sound while the tire was rolling. Pulled over into a bank parking lot and started looking at the situation.

I had purchased the spare tire kit from shopDAP last last year and I'm soooo glad I did. I had everything I need to address the flat. Pulled off the tire and found a 1/4" dia bolt had punched the tread. Dammit.... Tried to plug it and the hole was too big. This sucks because I have less than 500 miles on this tire. Since I couldn't plug the the tire, the spare went on and I continued on my way and got my mom squared away. Off to discount tire today to see if they can plug the tire, if not, time to break out some cash.

So in my kit, I have a jack, pump, plug kit, lug wrench and some other items. Very happy I also had a small set of pliers to get the bolt out. I did find I need a puck to put in-between the jack and the frame. Also need a wheel chock. When I parked the car I was on a slight upgrade, so got some roll on the car and the jack was at a bad angle.

So all of this said, buy the kit, you just never know when this will happen and saved a call to AAA. I really hate that newer cars are missing the spare tire, but at least you can retro fit the kit to this car.

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 1,313
  • kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    805.7 KB · Views: 1,092

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I too have one of those kits, they work very well, I fixed a way smaller hole in the centre of a rear tyre, gave me random 'low pressure warnings'. However these repairs don't last forever, well duh, and I reccomened keeping an eye on the tyre as the hole will likely re-open or stretch and leak again in time. In my case the tyre was due renewel in a few months anyway and my motoring at that time was mostly around town, but it kept me mobile and the kit remains in the spare wheel bay though I also have a space-saver spare....

Last edited:

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
FWIW, the first week I owned my prior '16 GTI I had a sidewall blowout in literally the middle of nowhere Mississippi en route to New Orleans. NOBODY in that area of MS had that tire in stock, and I had to limp like 170 miles on the spare to Jackson, MS to get one same-day.

So, yeah agreed... get the kit. I need to order mine as well, but I've barely driven in the car in 2-3 months now :\

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Question though, the DAP kit is an 18" spare? I didn't see a 19" option unless I'm blind. Or is the overall diameter of the 18" spare acceptible?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I too invested in the kit a few months ago. I live in the sticks now and also travel to Nevada occasionally across some desolate areas, so I don't ever want to get stuck in the wrong place where I might not have a cell signal, or might have a long wait for a flatbed. Hopefully I never have to use it, but this is a perfect reminder of why this is a good investment that everyone should seriously consider. The great thing is that it's 100% OEM and doesn't impact the hatch storage area at all.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I had something similar happen to me about 20 yrs ago running a brand new set of wheels/tires and within 500 miles my front tire kicked up a 1/4" diameter ocean container lock pin that got jammed into the rear tire. I was so pissed.

I've run over so many things, including scissors, popping the rear tire I know from sound when the tire gets punctured. Luckily mine was patchable from the inside by my local Discount Tires (America's Tires). Bought an extra wheel with new tire and used the repaired one as a spare.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Question though, the DAP kit is an 18" spare? I didn't see a 19" option unless I'm blind. Or is the overall diameter of the 18" spare acceptible?

It's 18" and it's fine. The overall diameter is very close on either the 18" or 19" wheel/tire options, given the difference in tire aspect ratio, and the spare closely mirrors both.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Heading down to my mom's this past Sat to wrap up getting her moved into the new house. Along the way, I heard a pop and "said what the heck was that" and pressed on. After a few miles down the road, starting hearing weird noise from the rear end of the car. Rolled down the window and heard that "woosh/woosh/woosh" sound while the tire was rolling. Pulled over into a bank parking lot and started looking at the situation.

I had purchased the spare tire kit from shopDAP last last year and I'm soooo glad I did. I had everything I need to address the flat. Pulled off the tire and found a 1/4" dia bolt had punched the tread. Dammit.... Tried to plug it and the hole was too big. This sucks because I have less than 500 miles on this tire. Since I couldn't plug the the tire, the spare went on and I continued on my way and got my mom squared away. Off to discount tire today to see if they can plug the tire, if not, time to break out some cash.

So in my kit, I have a jack, pump, plug kit, lug wrench and some other items. Very happy I also had a small set of pliers to get the bolt out. I did find I need a puck to put in-between the jack and the frame. Also need a wheel chock. When I parked the car I was on a slight upgrade, so got some roll on the car and the jack was at a bad angle.

So all of this said, buy the kit, you just never know when this will happen and saved a call to AAA. I really hate that newer cars are missing the spare tire, but at least you can retro fit the kit to this car.

Didn't you buy certificates at Discount Tires when you purchased the tires? If you did they will replace the tire for free. Costs $20 per tire when you get tires and includes lfetime rotation and balancing.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
jim - If you were asking me, I bought the wheel set from TireRack, but my local Discount Tire repaired the tire for free as it was under the Bridgestone warranty or something. I just bought another one since the set was still brand new and wanted to have a spare as not everyone had the certain tire and size in stock at all times.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed

Yup, it works, ask me how I know ;) Even if the diameter is off a bit, rotate it to the back and you should be good to go since the rear haldex isn't always active.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Didn't you buy certificates at Discount Tires when you purchased the tires? If you did they will replace the tire for free. Costs $20 per tire when you get tires and includes lfetime rotation and balancing.

Last quote I had for certificates was for the PS4S's on my Z4M and they were a LOT more than $20 each - more like $35 or thereabouts. At that price I opted to roll the dice.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Last quote I had for certificates was for the PS4S's on my Z4M and they were a LOT more than $20 each - more like $35 or thereabouts. At that price I opted to roll the dice.

I'm getting tires there today so I'll find out.