GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

eddieliu76

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone, I had the DKM MS clutch installed on my MK7 GTI in Oct, normal break in with no high revs, and right now i have about 4500 miles on it.
I am having trouble engaging and dis-engaging from reverse, 1st, and 2nd gear. Anyone can chime in what I should look for before having the mechanic take it apart to inspect it?
I also have the boomba short shifter.
I searched and noticed people mention to rebleed the clutch or linkage issue (misalignment)
right now I'm stage 2 with MAP tune.
Thanks in advance

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hi everyone, I had the DKM MS clutch installed on my MK7 GTI in Oct, normal break in with no high revs, and right now i have about 4500 miles on it.
I am having trouble engaging and dis-engaging from reverse, 1st, and 2nd gear. Anyone can chime in what I should look for before having the mechanic take it apart to inspect it?
I searched and noticed people mention to rebleed the clutch or linkage issue (misalignment)
Thanks in advance

You read correctly. Re bleed the clutch

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Thanks in advance

I’ve only had the issue of not being able to get out of 1st or reverse when driving slow and slipping the clutch (think stop and go traffic or reversing into a parking spot). I bled the clutch and did shifter alignments many times and neither helped. I took my car back to the shop and they also tried to bleed with no help at all. Any other type of driving and I can smoothly shift into any gear...it’s just when you slip the clutch. DKM told me not to slip the clutch as twin disks don’t like it. Lol

I have an earlier DKM Kit with the FTE TOB so I suspect that to be the issue. DKM has gone through multiple TOB’s (see JR14’s YouTube channel for their latest TOB) so maybe that’s an issue but who knows. At least for 17,000 miles this clutch has put with the abuse of many track days and well over 50 launches from my Golf R. I give it credit for that at least.

My issue does sound different than yours since you are having issues in other gears so maybe (hopefully) it’s an alignment or clutch bleed issue.

eddieliu76

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I removed the boomba short shifter and that seems to have solved the problem so far. I should have tried that first, but didn't think it would have been the problem since there was no issue with the stock clutch. Will report back with updates. Thanks Jake and MaimiBourne for your inputs!

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
So, I removed the boomba short shifter and that seems to have solved the problem so far. I should have tried that first, but didn't think it would have been the problem since there was no issue with the stock clutch. Will report back with updates. Thanks Jake and MaimiBourne for your inputs!

I forgot you said you had the Boomba Short Shifter. I had to remove that as it was giving me an issue popping out of 3rd gear. I can’t say if it was the DKM Clutch though because I had shifter & bracket bushings installed at the same time. I did notice some had issues with shifter bushings and the Boomba Short Shifter. I now have a Euro S3 Short Shifter and sold the Boomba.

So many variables, but I hope this fixed your issue.

eddieliu76

Passed Driver's Ed
I forgot you said you had the Boomba Short Shifter. I had to remove that as it was giving me an issue popping out of 3rd gear. I can’t say if it was the DKM Clutch though because I had shifter & bracket bushings installed at the same time. I did notice some had issues with shifter bushings and the Boomba Short Shifter. I now have a Euro S3 Short Shifter and sold the Boomba.

So many variables, but I hope this fixed your issue.

yea I hope so too, so far it is good.

Also, if it is still happening for you does that mean short shifters are not that compatible with the DKM clutch? I read through the thread but can't re-call if anyone else is having same issues

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
yea I hope so too, so far it is good.

Also, if it is still happening for you does that mean short shifters are not that compatible with the DKM clutch? I read through the thread but can't re-call if anyone else is having same issues

No...there is certainly something wrong with my DKM kit and mostly likely an issue with the TOB as I know a few others with the same issue. There are people in this thread with this issue if you look through again. So many pages but I thinking it's probably past the 70's. Lol.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
No...there is certainly something wrong with my DKM kit and mostly likely an issue with the TOB as I know a few others with the same issue. There are people in this thread with this issue if you look through again. So many pages but I thinking it's probably past the 70's. Lol.
I may have missed it, did you already do the shifter alignment procedure? My thinking was along the lines of, they removed the transmission and put it back in, but perhaps not perfectly in the same place. Mine feels a little notchy and resistant at times, but it actually feels slightly misaligned. I was going to try this at my next oil change interval to see if it helps.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I may have missed it, did you already do the shifter alignment procedure? My thinking was along the lines of, they removed the transmission and put it back in, but perhaps not perfectly in the same place. Mine feels a little notchy and resistant at times, but it actually feels slightly misaligned. I was going to try this at my next oil change interval to see if it helps.

Yes, multiple shifter alignments and clutch bleeds. Car goes into every gear without issue but there are times where I cannot get out of reverse or 1st gear only. This only happens when reversing into stop or slipping the clutch to creep forward.

eddieliu76

Passed Driver's Ed

Yea, I did go through the thread and know that there's a handful of people had this issue which the replacement of TOB did fix, but not sure if I should get another short shifter if it will create this issue again haha.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
So despite my better judgment with reading everything, i went with this clutch. Can anyone verify this is the newest and best tob? Its all metal one piece.
20200728_170543.jpg
20200728_170547.jpg
20200728_170554.jpg
20200728_170638.jpg