GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Did You Drive Before You Drove A MKVII Golf, GTI or R?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I've never seen the 93 Sentra SE-R described as incredible before.

It was an absolute darling of the automotive press at the time, ending up on Car&Driver's 10Best list all 4 years it was produced. And all the praise was well-deserved. The SR20DE motor was amazing for the era, and it also had a standard LSD - virtually unheard of in a FWD compact at the time. Outstanding seats too.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Mrs Mud had a G20....at the time they were discounting them to Accord prices but it was loaded with a bunch of nice stuff. She didn't realize how nice a car it was. You could either hustle it around corners or just soak up miles effortlessly. It's life ended too soon (they should have totaled it instead of spending too much $ to put it back together after we were rear ended). It was a learning curve I now know to tow it home mentioning the gas smell and have it dropped off down wind from any outbuildings.

forgot to mention if you brought it in for service (even oil change) $5 to get a loaner you didn't have to fill up when returning.

RHolte

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Came from a 2010 GTI bought brand new and traded at 130k miles for a 2018 Golf R.
How much did they give you for that 2010? I just bought my first GTI and I am already eyeing the new MK8 Golf R as my next purchase 4-5 years from now.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
How much did they give you for that 2010? I just bought my first GTI and I am already eyeing the new MK8 Golf R as my next purchase 4-5 years from now.

Did the deal on July 9 2019.

2010 GTI - 2 dr, DSG, Carbon Steel Grey, 129.6k miles, average condition; options: Bi-xenons, Dynaudio, 18" wheels, - dealer gave me $4k without even driving it

Traded it for a CPO 2018 Golf R DSG with 6,100mi - $36,500 + TTL

Not a killer deal, but this Golf R was one of only a handful of Mk7.5 CPO cars in the midwest at the time. Had to drive 100 miles to another state to buy it.

PeteM1965

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI
My daily driver was a 2000 BMW M5. Owned since new. Moved and got a much longer commute. Needed a car that was affordable, fun, reliable, and got good mileage. I wanted an Audi S3 but didn't want to put 450 miles per week on one. So it was between an R and a GTI. I decided on a GTI. I'm very happy with my decision.

LarryLaptimes

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
05 E46 M3 and S2000 prior to the M3

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
From beginning of car ownership until now:

1982 Plymouth Reliant (don't laugh, the K car was very reliable and brought my children home)
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo (the car most like the GTI I have now. Loved that thing)
1990 Ford Aerostar van: will never have another Ford, leaked oil like Saudi and had transmission troubles although we drove it for 17 years
1999 Dodge Intrepid ES (A really nice car)
2005 Chrysler 300C (5.7L HEMI). Lost in a flood in November, 2018. Sad day to lose a beautiful highway cruiser.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (eventually went to my son)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (still have that one. Only 95000 miles on it right now)

Vehicles that I owned but the children drove during high school and college:
At last 3 Jeep Cherokees: the square ones with the indestructible (AMC based) 4.0 L straight six. Wish they built those still.
One Dodge Spirit (not an RT, just the 2.4 L 4).

You can see the MOPAR pattern.

Now happy to have a VW. We will see if I am happy in a few years.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
From beginning of car ownership until now:

1982 Plymouth Reliant (don't laugh, the K car was very reliable and brought my children home)
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo (the car most like the GTI I have now. Loved that thing)
1990 Ford Aerostar van: will never have another Ford, leaked oil like Saudi and had transmission troubles although we drove it for 17 years
1999 Dodge Intrepid ES (A really nice car)
2005 Chrysler 300C (5.7L HEMI). Lost in a flood in November, 2018. Sad day to lose a beautiful highway cruiser.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (eventually went to my son)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (still have that one. Only 95000 miles on it right now)

Vehicles that I owned but the children drove during high school and college:
At last 3 Jeep Cherokees: the square ones with the indestructible (AMC based) 4.0 L straight six. Wish they built those still.
One Dodge Spirit (not an RT, just the 2.4 L 4).

You can see the MOPAR pattern.

Now happy to have a VW. We will see if I am happy in a few years.

Dodge Omni GLH (goes like hell).

11Mk7

Car(s)
'16 GTI
Immediately before the GTI I drove a Mazda3 hand-me-down from my better half when she upgraded.
Before that, i.e. actually "my" car, was an IS300.
GTI was my dream car for years. Finally decided to spring for one a few years ago - found one only 1 yr old with less than 20k on the odo, fully loaded for a great price.
I said ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE GTI ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
And then it was mine! Been loving every minute of it.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
76 Scirocco
92 Geo Prism
91 Jetta
95 Saturn S1
97 Jetta GT
99 New Beetle GLS
2002 Mazda 3 wagon
2006 GTI
2010 WRX Skinny
1997 Jeep Cherokee Country 2wd 2 owner with 88k miles (miss already)
2017 GTI

I'm old and there are a couple missing I'm sure.

IES99: Man did I want a GLH or a Shelby Daytona

Parents are on their 3rd Beetle vert among other cars. I came home from hospital in a 76 Beetle and remember pulling hay out of the back seats as a kid.

*anyone over on TheCarLounge? Been on there for 15+ years. Seems someone has my screen name here. lol

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
55 Chevy Belair
64 Corvair
73 Fiat 124 Sport
75 Honda Civic 5 speed
74 Fiat X1/9
78 Special Edition Scirocco
80 Fiat X1/9 fuel injected
84 GTI
87 Jetta GLI
89 Jetta GLI
99 Passat 1.8T
04 R32
09 Crossfox (Brazilian - in Panama)
11 Tiguan 4motion 6 speed (Panama)
17 GTI Sport (current)

There was the odd 71 Toyota Corolla auto for the wife and the Oldsmobile with the quad four with a manual and the Nissan Frontier pickup with a 5 speed, but I try to forget these.