GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyway to reduce the R from bottoming out?

translux

Ready to race!
I like most thing about my R. Having the front end bottom out from modest potholes is not one of them.

I’ve triple double checked that the shipping blocks have been removed. Dealer on multiple occasions says suspension is fine. I even went to an 18” wheel with all seasons with little to no improvement. It’s got DCC and it certainly worse on comfort.
Car is stock.

For me it’s so bad that when I’m on the speaker phone people ask if I got into an accident. And if have a 200lbs passenger it’s much worse.

I’ve read everything from “mine doesn’t bottom out” to “I replaced the springs and no more issues”.

I have no illusions of eliminating this but I’d love to find away to reduce.
Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I never experienced bottoming out my DCC when my car is stock and I drove the shit out of it VW uses solid rubber suspension limiters on the front bump stop just like KW does to limit the amount of compression so the tire does not contact any body or chassis parts.The rear uses a solid poly one which does the same and keeps the dust boot centered.

gAwKRzZ.jpg

translux

Ready to race!
Do you think what you are experiencing is similar to what is described in the following thread?
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-sound-over-bumps-normal.372094/#post-7402478
Thank you for pointing me to this.
Yes this is exactly what I’ve experienced.
Its really a shame that this is the nature of the beast.
The overall ride quality is great. But man hit the right imperfection and it’s makes your teeth hurt.

I never experienced bottoming out my DCC when my car is stock and I drove the shit out of it VW uses solid rubber suspension limiters on the front bump stop just like KW does to limit the amount of compression so the tire does not contact any body or chassis parts.The rear uses a solid poly one which does the same and keeps the dust boot centered.
Thanks for the info. Can you replace or adjust the bump stops?
This was a strategy to improve handling in a couple BMW’s I had along with more compliant springs and larger anti-roll bars and different mounts. It made a huge difference in both handling, grip and rid quality. I used kits similar to this https://www.dinancars.com/products/...rings-bumpstops/handling-kits/parts/D193-9034

Last edited:

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
thats different I do know the RS3/TTRS use standard bump stops without the solid rubber stopper and are 2mm shorter. I will look on my ElsaPro for ride height but I remember when I worked for Audi the MK2 TTRS was 13.5 cb to fender which is a .50 lower than the Golf R.

idk if removing the rubber stopper would help

Last edited:

translux

Ready to race!
thats different I do know the RS3/TTRS use standard bump stops without the solid rubber stopper and are 2mm shorter. I will look on my ElsaPro for ride height but I remember when I worked for Audi the MK2 TTRS was 13.5 cb to fender which is a .50 lower than the Golf R.
idk if removing the rubber stopper would help

looks like the MK3 TTRS sits same ride height as MK7 Golf R

Thank you!
Would you happen to have a part # for the TTRS bump stops?

This was the kit I used on an M5
https://www.dinancars.com/products/...rings-bumpstops/handling-kits/parts/D193-6017

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

View attachment 171999

I'm confused — ignoring the retaining rings, those appear to be the conventional foam bump stops used on many/most cars, not "solid rubber" or "solid poly".

I encountered the bottoming out phenomenon during my first week of R ownership when I went over a local railroad crossing at, um, enthusiastic speed. It felt and sounded like someone hitting the underside of the car with a massive sledgehammer, and I genuinely thought I must have broken something. Don't recall which mode the shocks were in at the time. It's happened only a few times since, mostly on unexpected potholes and the like. I switched to 18" wheels early in the car's life, so there's a bit more cushioning from the tires.

Neil

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I'm confused — ignoring the retaining rings, those appear to be the conventional foam bump stops used on many/most cars, not "solid rubber" or "solid poly".

I encountered the bottoming out phenomenon during my first week of R ownership when I went over a local railroad crossing at, um, enthusiastic speed. It felt and sounded like someone hitting the underside of the car with a massive sledgehammer, and I genuinely thought I must have broken something. Don't recall which mode the shocks were in at the time. It's happened only a few times since, mostly on unexpected potholes and the like. I switched to 18" wheels early in the car's life, so there's a bit more cushioning from the tires.

Neil
not sure what you are referring about but as I mentioned the vehicle has progressive foam bump stops with additional integrated solid rubber chassis limiters just like KW would include in there kits if you lower your car past a certain height to keep the chassis from bottoming out.

I mentioned the RS3/TTRS are almost the same chassis and I never witnessed that issue with those cars or my Golf R which they use bump stops with out the limiter. I recommend removing the solid rubber limiter to see if it helps the issue.

Jackup the front and remove the endlink so you have full droop (torque spec 48ft lbs), pull down the bellow and cut the limiter off with a pair of dikes. In the end it's either gonna make it ride better not worse.

fullsizeoutput_2d7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2da.jpeg

Last edited:

al3xh

not sure what you are referring about but as I mentioned the vehicle has progressive foam bump stops with additional integrated solid rubber chassis limiters just like KW would include in there kits if you lower your car past a certain height to keep the chassis from bottoming out.

I mentioned the RS3/TTRS are almost the same chassis and I never witnessed that issue with those cars or my Golf R which they use bump stops with out the limiter. I recommend removing the solid rubber limiter to see if it helps the issue.

Jackup the front and remove the endlink so you have full droop (torque spec 48ft lbs), pull down the bellow and cut the limiter off with a pair of dikes. In the end it's either gonna make it ride better not worse.

View attachment 172098View attachment 172099
By limiter you mean the black ring? What is the purpose of the limiter in the first place? Hard for me to imagine it would be there unless it has some function?