GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

bteo

hello guys. I think I have the same problem on a Passat B8. could you tell me if I understand it right? you can see that is wet inside and on top I put some WD40 dry lubricant

or do I need to remove the entire felt? Hope I understand right the translation cause I am from Romania :) thank you

Attachments

• felt.jpg
    felt.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 737

nype

Drag Racing Champion
hello guys. I think I have the same problem on a Passat B8. could you tell me if I understand it right? you can see that is wet inside and on top I put some WD40 dry lubricant

or do I need to remove the entire felt? Hope I understand right the translation cause I am from Romania :) thank you

Just noticed the PM that you sent me.

Wet lube where there is rubber contacting rubber. Dry lube on the felt.

Question: does the noise go away if the window is open, even slightly?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I just run the same Meguiar's G4116 Natural Shine Protectant on the door seals as I use on the dash. I also wipe down the door frames with Meguiar's A3332 Quik Detailer. Two clean surfaces free of dust/grit means quiet doors.

This made it worse for mine. I always clean the door jams every time I wash, and treat them with Car Pro Reload (what I use for the entire car). The cleaner the door jams were, the worse the creaking became. Especially when it was hot outside.

I fixed the issue last week using Dupont dry lubricant. Make sure the felt is clean and dry, using the nozzle just release a small amount in an even line along the felt (it soaks it right up), let dry for 2 mins, and the creaking is completely gone:

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Bumping this age old thread. My 2017 is doing this on the driver's door. I tried Gummi Plfegde and it has not worked yet. I work at VW and one of the techs said sometimes the door hinge is not fully straight and the door can rest on the seals. I need to get some maintenance done so I'll have them take a look and report back

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
just reporting back to say that i tried this and concur with the OP. It works! feels like a nicer car now lol

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Once again...wet lube (recommend Krytox GPL-205) INSIDE the door top felt flaps...dry lube (recommend Sailkote) ON-TOP of the same felt flaps.
And again...

nype

Drag Racing Champion

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Interesting, I wonder if it can be applied on the felt around the doors as well.

I wouldn't apply that to the felt side, you'd gunk it all up.
The felt side is where a dry lubricant would go.

Wet lube like this for the rubber.
Dry lube like Sailkote to the felt.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
On the rubber door seals (see the link)
TLDR - but since it’s a silicone grease I would only apply it “inside” the door top “flap”, where others have successfully used a Krytox wet lube instead.

As mentioned, I wouldn’t put it on the top of the flap, which is felt. Use a dry lube there instead.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I wouldn't apply that to the felt side, you'd gunk it all up.
The felt side is where a dry lubricant would go.

Wet lube like this for the rubber.
Dry lube like Sailkote to the felt.

A lot of people are using Gummi Pflege. Is that only intended for the rubber as well? I'm sure I watched a video of someone applying it to the felt of his GTI. Would WD-40 Dry Lube be a good choice for the felt? It is easier to find locally and very inexpensive.