GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
@Hammersticks put together an excellent thread on replacing struts & shocks (Thanks!) I would suggest reading the entire thread. There are many small items that should be replaced when doing the changeout. I just ordered OEM strut bearings from a local dealer. According to the thread, the strut bearing has been superseded multiple times- their parts catalog is still showing an earlier version- PN 5Q0412249E rather than the latest version, 5Q0412249F, which I explicitly ordered. Waiting to see what shows up. Most of the aftermarket vendors still show the previous version.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...k-damper-installation-reference-guide.334926/

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The older version of the strut bearing is what showed-up today. Oh, well...

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered Koni yellows from BMP Tuning to pair with my Eibach Sportlines. I work for VW so I got with a tech and we ordered all new OEM hardware. We ordered front shock mounts and bearings but he said the rears aren't needed. One thing I noticed in this thread is talk about the spring seats. Is that a necessity? I'm at 51k miles and they're pretty cheap, should I just do them?

Also, I think I'm going to start a 1/2 turn from full soft front and rear. I want a very comfortable daily ride. My daughter is always in the back seat so it's got to be nice for her.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Spring seats? As in the rubber isolators at the bottom? Probably don’t need them unless you think the rubber is bad. Same goes for the strut mounts. Doubt you need new ones but I guess do the install and return them.
As for stiffness, yep, I wouldn’t go more than 1/2 turn from full soft in back. Fronts you can play around with easily post install.

PRTYLCKY

Also sounds like B6/B8 compression is way too soft and they blow through their travel too easily.
Never a good thing. I bit the bullet and got some Koni Special Actives. I live in Brooklyn. The streets can be a horror on some blocks and I liked what I read about their performance vs. Koni Yellow performance despite the lack of adjust ability. I'm not sure that will matter since they adjust themselves. ;-) I should have them in by next week.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Just received my yellows. Are you guys doing an alignment for shocks only? Mine is already lowered and was just aligned two months with new tires. Just trying to plan out my install

image0 (9).jpeg

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I'm going with 1/2 turn from full soft front and rear. I think the rear's will be OK, might end up going 3/4 in the fronts.

I just spoke with our master VW tech and he said no alignment needed for shocks only. You just need to make sure where the shock bottoms out into the knuckle is the same as where it was when you took the factory ones out. We're not changing springs, just shocks.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I haven't really found a sweet spot with the fronts for daily driving. Sometimes 2 turns feels great, other times 1 or 1.5 works better. Initially set 2 in the rear with a 25mm sway bar - firm, but a good balance for street/track. It would be adjust easier without disassembly.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I just spoke with our master VW tech and he said no alignment needed for shocks only. You just need to make sure where the shock bottoms out into the knuckle is the same as where it was when you took the factory ones out. We're not changing springs, just shocks.
Agreed. The geometry shouldn’t change.

When you install the fronts they will appear to have about 1/8” left to go, but check the bottom of the knuckle and confirm the strut is all the way seated.

PRTYLCKY

I'm going with 1/2 turn from full soft front and rear. I think the rear's will be OK, might end up going 3/4 in the fronts.

Good to know!!! Thanks!