GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
There's your problem ;)

I figured as much, will have to go back in and trim it an inch or so.

Strange that I couldn't find any photos of the fronts trimmed in this thread.

For reference:

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I figured as much, will have to go back in and trim it an inch or so.

Strange that I couldn't find any photos of the fronts trimmed in this thread.

For reference:

I didn't catch which springs you were using, but for the Koni Sport Kit (Eibach Pro Kit springs) here's what came in the box:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I didn't catch which springs you were using, but for the Koni Sport Kit (Eibach Pro Kit springs) here's what came in the box:

That is definitely handy. I have used VWR springs. They are quite bouncy I find with the Koni's, what springs do most people run with these shocks?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
That is definitely handy. I have used VWR springs. They are quite bouncy I find with the Koni's, what springs do most people run with these shocks?

It varies, really. From what I've heard, the VWR springs are pretty soft and from what I know, the Koni's are pretty stiff - they start about 10% stiffer than stock on the lowest setting and turn into cinder blocks anywhere past one full turn (50% stiffness). Koni sells the Eibach Pro Kit with their "Sport Kit", and I also see a lot of people using the H&R OE sport, Emmanuele Designs, Neuspeed Sport springs, and others. Lots of people who like their VWR/Koni combo, and others that don't.

The ticket here is to really get methodical with tuning the koni's to your springs. Start at full soft and go from there. The Koni's adjustment range is ... intense, so small changes will net big differences. It's going to be a bit of trial and error to get it correct for your purposes. Each spring will have a sweet spot. Essentially, you want the spring to compress, quickly rebound, and stop without much tertiary modulation. Easier said than done, but it's possible with some patience. You also might want to look into thicker swaybars if you find the damper/spring working well together, but you're still experiencing more body-roll than you want.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
CDM - how is it the eibach progressive with 4 people in the car? I read that progressive springs may not be best if you frequently have 4 people + stuff in the trunk.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
CDM - how is it the eibach progressive with 4 people in the car? I read that progressive springs may not be best if you frequently have 4 people + stuff in the trunk.

I literally never have people in the back seat of my GTI except my wife, so I really can't tell you :p

But I've had the pro kit on 3 other cars in my life and they're just fine. If you know you're going to have people back there often, dial in a bit of extra rebound. I understand the concern with progressive spring designs in that scenario, but real world it doesn't make that much difference.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I literally never have people in the back seat of my GTI except my wife, so I really can't tell you :p

But I've had the pro kit on 3 other cars in my life and they're just fine. If you know you're going to have people back there often, dial in a bit of extra rebound. I understand the concern with progressive spring designs in that scenario, but real world it doesn't make that much difference.

Thanks. Prob going with Eibach US or Eibach UK w/ konis when the time comes. Going to have to read up more on the two

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
So not too long ago, I had a clunking from front left and some odd damping at lower speeds. Turned out to be the "threaded gland nut" (where the strut goes into the body) had unscrewed itself. Odd that it happened about 30-40k miles/over a year after install. Retightened with pliers wrench and it seems to be back to normal now.

Another question, how many people with progressive springs are running .75 or stiffer in the rear? I did .5 initially as per hammerstick's recommendation but I think I could handle stiffer.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Another question, how many people with progressive springs are running .75 or stiffer in the rear? I did .5 initially as per hammerstick's recommendation but I think I could handle stiffer.

I ran 1 full turn in the rear with my Eibach Pro Kit progressive springs for the first 6 months or so. Daily driving was unbearable. Way too stiff. On track, they were better when I adjusted the fronts to match though still too stiff IMO for my overall tire/brake setup (stiffer isn't always better).

I now run the same hardware (Eibach Pro & Koni Sport) but run .25 turns in the rear and full soft in the front. For me, this is the sweet spot. The car still feels tight and responsive, but retains some of the suppleness of the OEM suspension setup. Especially since I run a 235/35/19 (although a 225/40/18 wasn't all that different tbh).

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
After a year of riding on stock springs and Yellows set at .75 from full soft front and rear, I feel it is a little more punishing than I would choose if I did it again.

I now run the same hardware (Eibach Pro & Koni Sport) but run .25 turns in the rear and full soft in the front. For me, this is the sweet spot. The car still feels tight and responsive, but retains some of the suppleness of the OEM suspension setup. Especially since I run a 235/35/19 (although a 225/40/18 wasn't all that different tbh).
I wish I could turn them all to full soft and see how it feels! I am on stock springs and I tried running my fronts on .25 from full soft, but while highway driving my front end was bouncy (like an '02 Civic with 400# springs and 110k mile stock dampers LOL). BUT, I did install my rears at .75, so maybe that added to the poor ride (stiff rear, soft front). Once I put the fronts at .75 it went away. When I track the car, I turn the fronts to 1 full turn. I love the Konis but damn I wish I could adjust the rears without removing them. And I am definitely too cheap to pay that one company $200 per shock to make them externally adjustable.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I thought the same thing until I tried it. Significant difference from .5. You may feel differently though. You only know until you try. Worst case you spend a couple hours changing then changing back but at least you know what YOUR breaking point is.

I may drop the back to .25..5 isn’t horrible by any stretch but my wife still refuses to ride in my car. Lol

Last edited:

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Tons of good info in this thread! I'm about ready to upgrade my struts and wanted to see exactly what should be replaced while I'm in there. I've been on Eibach Sportlines for about 40k miles, so a pretty significant drop on the factory struts. I was going back and forth between the B8's and the Koni's but it seems like Koni is ultimately the better option. Car is never tracked so I want something comfortable.

Besides picking up a set of struts, what else should be replacement within the suspension? Upper mounts and bearings? Anything else?

PRTYLCKY

Tons of good info in this thread! I'm about ready to upgrade my struts and wanted to see exactly what should be replaced while I'm in there. I've been on Eibach Sportlines for about 40k miles, so a pretty significant drop on the factory struts. I was going back and forth between the B8's and the Koni's but it seems like Koni is ultimately the better option. Car is never tracked so I want something comfortable.

Besides picking up a set of struts, what else should be replacement within the suspension? Upper mounts and bearings? Anything else?

I've been going back and forth over B8's vs. Koni Yellows too. Why exactly did you decide to go with Koni?

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I've been going back and forth over B8's vs. Koni Yellows too. Why exactly did you decide to go with Koni?

Koni's have adjustability whereas the B8's do not. Pretty much the icing on the cake. Buddy of mine had Konis and I liked how they rode as well