GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to drive faster!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
To Repeat:
When VW decided to go for the fwd record at Nürburgring they selected a GTI Clubsport S with a manual transmission. Nürburgring is a long technical track with lots of turns. The weight savings was a primary consideration but the ability of the driver to precisely control when to shift was a factor. True; you can manually shift the DSG but than you are back to shifting manually.

Likewise in the 2016 "Lightning Lap" edition of Car and Driver a criticism of the 2016 VW R was the suspicion it's DSG transmission may have hurt it in the corners and speculated it would have been faster with a manual.

The DSG is an exceptional transmission but it is no match for a manual if the superior driver is driving the manual...

Not going to debate which is better for road racing but the example you gave about the 2016 R wasn't with a tuned DSG. That would have made a big difference. I wouldn't even consider road racing in a stock tune DSG.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When shifting from 1 to 2 do you wait for the rev to fall or do you slip the clutch?

You don't need to wait for the revs to fall or slip the clutch just change gears.The revs will catch up to the gear you shifted to very fast.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
You don't need to wait for the revs to fall or slip the clutch just change gears.The revs will catch up to the gear you shifted to very fast.
I do change the gear to second but have to wait for the revs to match second gear or else it's very jerky. Revs fall really slow from one to second. If I engage clutch it would drop the revs but that's slipping the clutch.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
When shifting from 1 to 2 do you wait for the rev to fall or do you slip the clutch?

No, neither a pause nor slip. After 1st gear rev to say 4K RPM, just shift and then begin clutch-out in constant motion with slight throttle, then apply throttle exponentially when 2nd gear is fully engaged. That might be why you're getting the jerkiness. The only time I slip the clutch is from stand still. Only time I pause between gears is when I am going WOT, but want a smooth engagement.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
I do change the gear to second but have to wait for the revs to match second gear or else it's very jerky. Revs fall really slow from one to second. If I engage clutch it would drop the revs but that's slipping the clutch.
How is no one experiencing this show rev fall? Don't we all have the same mk7? Mine is stock so maybe all your cars are modded?

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
No, neither a pause nor slip. After 1st gear rev to say 4K RPM, just shift and then begin clutch-out in constant motion with slight throttle, then apply throttle exponentially when 2nd gear is fully engaged. That might be why you're getting the jerkiness. The only time I slip the clutch is from stand still. Only time I pause between gears is when I am going WOT, but want a smooth engagement.
Isn't what you are doing the definition of slip? If you release at 4k rpm, you will be at a certain speed in 1st gear. 2nd gear at that speed, would be around 2.5k rpm given the big gear ratio difference of 1st and 2nd. Of course you can apply gas and release the clutch out sooner but that's forcing the clutch to rotate faster than what the speed was when you were in 1st. Is my understanding correct?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Another thing that might help you is try to press the gas pedal closer to the arch (center) of your foot instead of by your toes. That will give you finer control if your foot muscle is tired or has not fully developed for MT driving.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Isn't what you are doing the definition of slip? If you release at 4k rpm, you will be at a certain speed in 1st gear. 2nd gear at that speed, would be around 2.5k rpm given the big gear ratio difference of 1st and 2nd. Of course you can apply gas and release the clutch out sooner but that's forcing the clutch to rotate faster than what the speed was when you were in 1st. Is my understanding correct?

No slip because while I am clutching-in and shifting the lever, RPM is already dropping down into 2nd gear range so I would just begin clutching-out with slight throttle to assist the flywheel's momentum. If you pause your RPM will drop too low.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
No slip because while I am clutching-in and shifting the lever, RPM is already dropping down into 2nd gear range so I would just begin clutching-out with slight throttle to assist the flywheel's momentum. If you pause your RPM will drop too low.
Not for me. I'll take a video for you. The revs drop like molasses

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, but you have to remember the throttle angle you applied to gain speed in 1st will also determine how quickly the fuel burn-off completes and rev begins to drop. How you shift 1-2 also depends greatly on how smoothly you came off the line.

You are literally building speed off the initial take off and if your initial take off was flawed, then everything on top will tend to collapse (meaning jerky shift) unless you can recover from it.. that takes experience. And to build experience, you just need to practice.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I was once told lesson / tip no.1 to drive / ride quicker is to first concentrate on being as smooth as possible, quickness will surely follow. I know; apologies for calling anyone here Shirley ;). Unless Shirley really is your name...

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, but you have to remember the throttle angle you applied to gain speed in 1st will also determine how quickly the fuel burn-off completes and rev begins to drop. How you shift 1-2 also depends greatly on how smoothly you came off the line.

You are literally building speed off the initial take off and if your initial take off was flawed, then everything on top will tend to collapse (meaning jerky shift) unless you can recover from it.. that takes experience. And to build experience, you just need to practice.
Can you elaborate on this some more with some examples or specifics. I think this is what I'm missing to get the revs fall faster.

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
If it‘s the rev hang that’s messing you up, maybe try lifting off the gas a brief moment before pushing in the clutch instead of lifting off at the same time. That fraction of a second of early lift-off may be enough to eat up some revs and allow a smoother gear change.