GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golfs everyday.. with OT journal.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Got the correct lugs today so installed the rear spacers. Not a good picture, but you get the idea. Love this setup, now going to work on my other cars next week. Probably start with a new exhaust on the FiST.

1586057533622.png

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Another angle from last night.

For those that asked, I am running 10mm spacers on the rear. I tried 15mm, but they poked a bit at factory height, so stuck with 10mm for a clean finish.

19x8.5" ET48 BBS CH-R
Front 30mm shank conical bolts (I bought black lug bolts)
Rear 40mm shank conical bolts with 10mm spacers
Factory height

Hope this helps folks who were looking at wheel specs to use with factory height Golf-R's.
(GTI's ride higher in stock form so you will need to lower your ride)
While running Pretoria's, I ran 10mm spacers on the rear as well.
1586090762008.png

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Forgot to mention while swapping the wheels, I checked the iSweep wear indicator harness to see why my car was throwing the 'Check Brake Pads!' error. Pretty stupid, the harness got undone. I pushed the harness back into the receptacle by hand, felt snug but the harness was not fully locked. I forced it pretty hard again, but would not lock.

So ended up using a ChannelLock plier and forced the receptacles together. Finally locked and no more error.

Cleaned her up real nice today inside and out. I should be getting the glossy black vinyl roll tomorrow. Will do the bottom of the doors this week.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Still scratching my head whether to go with the Cobb CBE or GReddy for my FiST.. or to just leave it alone. It's a fun little car and want to make it a tad more lively.. however, I bought the thing used as my errands car and has some previous owner induced little scuffs and scratches inside and out so not sure if it's even worth putting any more money into. The blemishes aren't bad, most people won't even notice them. This is a car I stick through the auto wash with no regrets.

The Cobb will be set me back about a grand.. I'd order the CBE, new rubber hangers, and rear motor mount. Do it all at the same time. If ordered today I'd receive it before the end of the week.. hummm...

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Finished stripe, I had a bunch of COBB decals so slapped one on to see how it looks.. I might have done the placement wrong vs the stripe, but without logo seems to settle better on the car. I can remove the logo as needed.

1586399283168.png

1586399313789.png

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
So what is the consensus for tow hooks on our Golf's? Too rice? I think I want to get a Raceseng tow hook (red with black post) on the rear.. I run their shift knob on my WRX and they are high quality. I've never considered tow hooks or straps on my WRX nor STI, but my Golf-R is kind of quiet looking so wanted to add something else on there to make her special (not special as in short bus special..)

I am also considering ghost stripes.

..and still undecided on CBE for FiST. I may just skip it entirely.. the car is just not worth modding. I would not be surprised if I sell it and get a new MT GTI with plaid seats.

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
So what is the consensus for tow hooks on our Golf's? Too rice?

Yes

I think I want to get a Raceseng tow hook (red with black post) on the rear.. I run their shift knob on my WRX and they are high quality.

I have a Raceseng shift knob on my R, it's awesome. Can't go wrong with their stuff if that's really the direction you want to go. I wish they made DSG paddles.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yes

I have a Raceseng shift knob on my R, it's awesome. Can't go wrong with their stuff if that's really the direction you want to go. I wish they made DSG paddles.

Yeah, that is kind of my worry.. I think the tow hook would go well with the theme, but might draw the wrong attention or focus.

Speaking of your Raceseng knob on your R, did you swap out the boot as well? I agree, their knobs are great.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I do like the cobb logo

Yeah, I have a COBB emblem on the gate so maybe that is enough free advertisement for them.. haha
I think the top drooping line of my stripe on the rear door also forces the eyes to look downward and when there is a bright white logo there it just points the eyes to the wrong direction. It doesn't flow well.

If the logo was a dark gray or even a ghost frost color, it can look good I think..