Go Kart Champion
The real story here is that DSG farts give you extra thrust

Attachments

• tumblr_ls656wKmnB1qlf4sao1_400.jpg
    tumblr_ls656wKmnB1qlf4sao1_400.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 80

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Nascar does shift on the short tracks and of course the road races which would be the closest to the discussion about shifting in turns.
I think they canned those.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
NASCAR still uses sticks but other than leaving and entering the pits, they don't shift so not an argument for rowing.
I think you meant they don't clutch. The definitely DO shift!

But correct, watching the in-car footwell cameras they show sometimes you see they lift off the throttle a bit and basically jam it into whatever gear is next. A tricky rev-matching affair. Probably destroy a street car shifting that way (but you never know....)

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I think you meant they don't clutch. The definitely DO shift!

But correct, watching the in-car footwell cameras they show sometimes you see they lift off the throttle a bit and basically jam it into whatever gear is next. A tricky rev-matching affair. Probably destroy a street car shifting that way (but you never know....)
Right now they're all canned but don't they still have two road course races? Sonoma and I can't remember the other one.
You guys are right. Strong, straight cut gears and no clutching on the road courses. Another reason NASCAR is a poor argument or one for smooth shifting into corners.

Nothing wrong with preferring a stick but they are not faster.

Last edited:

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
And what percentage of road courses are straight lines 100% throttle? Dsgs are geared for better acceleration as well. Is the argument whether 100lbs is more of a deficit than better gearing and quicker gear changes and less weight shifting and less errors made?

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
My apologies..... I was not intending to insult you per se, rather pointedly refute the idea that a manual transmission was or is or will ever be a superior technology on a race track.

Let me say it in a different way in hopes of not offending you.

I completely disagree with your position sir, as do the following manufacturers.

Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McClaren, Bugatti, AMG-Mercedes, Corvette, Audi, BMW, etc......

As a counterpoint, in support of your position, I do believe NASCAR is still utilizing Manual transmissions, but to be honest with you, I do not follow or know much about that particular racing series..... and I may be mistaken.

I would also be interested in the opinions of respected racing professionals who we may both know, and can refer to for their expertise on this particular subject. If you are aware of persons who would qualify and speak in support of your position, I would enjoy hearing their perspective.
To Repeat:
When VW decided to go for the fwd record at Nürburgring they selected a GTI Clubsport S with a manual transmission. Nürburgring is a long technical track with lots of turns. The weight savings was a primary consideration but the ability of the driver to precisely control when to shift was a factor. True; you can manually shift the DSG but than you are back to shifting manually.

Likewise in the 2016 "Lightning Lap" edition of Car and Driver a criticism of the 2016 VW R was the suspicion it's DSG transmission may have hurt it in the corners and speculated it would have been faster with a manual.

The DSG is an exceptional transmission but it is no match for a manual if the superior driver is driving the manual...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Lets recap:

OP wants some help with learning to become a better driver.

Everybody whips their dong out and starts waving it around.

6 pages of arguing about whose got the biggest.

1 page where people were actually giving OP advice.

/thread.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
So dtran11 - Were you able to figure things out at least a little bit?

Clutch-out between 1-2, 2-3, etc is a consistent process. There is no reason to pause the clutch-out in the middle of the throw. It will make it more difficult for you as now you're adding another variable to your process. Part of the reason why the bypass valve is in the clutchline is to keep the clutch-out process smooth and consistent.

I don't know if this helps, but during normal acceleration there is nothing fast I am doing. It's a graceful process, no super fast moving of the shift lever or any fast clutch-outs. It's a very relaxed, grand touring kind of driving.. which is what I love my Golf-R for. She is an absolute joy to drive.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie

Clutch-out between 1-2, 2-3, etc is a consistent process. There is no reason to pause the clutch-out in the middle of the throw. It will make it more difficult for you as now you're adding another variable to your process. Part of the reason why the bypass valve is in the clutchline is to keep the clutch-out process smooth and consistent.

I don't know if this helps, but during normal acceleration there is nothing fast I am doing. It's a graceful process, no super fast moving of the shift lever or any fast clutch-outs. It's a very relaxed, grand touring kind of driving.. which is what I love my Golf-R for. She is an absolute joy to drive.

Thanks to this post I have gotten a lot smoother and not wearing/slipping my clutch as much.

1st to 2nd is always the hardest. Due to the rev hang and big difference in gear ratio especially from 1 to 2, I wait for the revs to match on 2nd gear and just let out my clutch then without a pause of the clutch. It's butter smooth but the rpm difference from 1st to 2nd is more like 1200rpm and with rev hang can take more than one second. Might be 2sec. All other gear change is much better and I can get those smooth with my eyes closed now. Just damn first gear!

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Lets recap:

OP wants some help with learning to become a better driver.

Everybody whips their dong out and starts waving it around.

6 pages of arguing about whose got the biggest.

1 page where people were actually giving OP advice.

/thread.
Let's get one thing straight.. I have the biggest dong in my household.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie

When shifting from 1 to 2 do you wait for the rev to fall or do you slip the clutch?