GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ohlins VWSMT21 - Pix Enclosed

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Actually. I tried this again today and got it right! You don’t need to notch the wood actually.
1. The length need to be correct so that the top of the wood butts up against the spring perch.
2. The bottom needs to be high enough to get the jack in place.
3. The bolt from the sway bar eyelet needs to be offset a tad so at the wood is perpendicular to the ground.
4. Notice the 2”x4” is channeled through the steering arm.

I’ll create a separate post. It’s simple but can easily go wrong.

here’s some pix.
016589C6-0518-4124-A3D7-3616DB1159F6.jpeg

08596570-0098-4C2A-8EC1-A045AFACAE3A.jpeg

E023AF97-C817-47A7-8586-2EDA6280E4A8.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
out of curiosity, why did you use the KW DCC cancelers instead of the Ohlins (since you have the ohlins coils)? Not like it matters, and I use the ohlins cancelers with bilstein b16...just curious.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Looking good.

I’m running Ohlins with 8kg/mm front and rear. I daily my car and the Ohlins do a great job controlling the stiffer spring rate on the street.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I've added a little blurb at the top. But to add to that... and this could be plus or minus to many, but I do feel ever bit of road bump. It's not jarring, nor is it crashing over bumps, but the suspension tells me they are there, but the car isn't losing any bit of traction. I could compare these to a set of 3-way AST suspension I used to have many years back on a street/track setup in terms of adjustability and feel, whereas these are far more compliant on the street. And much easier to live with. I've yet to push them harder, but that day will come when the Malibu canyon roads open up again. Right now they're set to 12/12 (20 being softest). I may tune them to maybe 14 / 14 and see how much or less I might like them. Zero regrets over stock. I do not miss the DCC OEM shocks!

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Love watching road racing vids! Keep it up!

When all this craziness ends and tracks open back up, I will post more DE videos.

In the mean time. Everyone stay healthy.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I've added a little blurb at the top. But to add to that... and this could be plus or minus to many, but I do feel ever bit of road bump. It's not jarring, nor is it crashing over bumps, but the suspension tells me they are there, but the car isn't losing any bit of traction. I could compare these to a set of 3-way AST suspension I used to have many years back on a street/track setup in terms of adjustability and feel, whereas these are far more compliant on the street. And much easier to live with. I've yet to push them harder, but that day will come when the Malibu canyon roads open up again. Right now they're set to 12/20 (20 being softest). I may tune them to maybe 14 / 14 and see how much or less I might like them. Zero regrets over stock. I do not miss the DCC OEM shocks!

I thought I would miss mine, but I really don't. The suspension feels so much more competent that it doesn't even matter if it's stiffer overall.

Good to hear you're liking the setup :).

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
out of curiosity, why did you use the KW DCC cancelers instead of the Ohlins (since you have the ohlins coils)? Not like it matters, and I use the ohlins cancelers with bilstein b16...just curious.

I found the KWs DCCs for $315ish vs the back ordered Ohlin ones. Ironically, I just got a DCC failure with them on. o_O

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I found the KWs DCCs for $315ish vs the back ordered Ohlin ones. Ironically, I just got a DCC failure with them on. o_O
Yeah I had read mixed reviews on the kw and people still throwing codes, so I went the ohlins route when they were on sale. I think the isweep ones are also well reviewed...