GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
An upgraded intercooler was the best mod I've done so far, after a stage 1 tune. I used to be anti-TIP but did recently install the MST Performance TIP and silicon hose.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Flow chart for mods:

Do you have a Mk7? Buy an intercooler upgrade.

Oem engine and transmission mounts?
Buy BFI

Stock tires? Unless you drive 20-40k per year and will wear those puppies out

GET SOME REAL TIRES!

Do you speed up for corners?

Get a rear sway bar!

Like what the rear swaybar did? Good! Leave the front alone, or you’ll gain your understeer back.

Are accords, minivans, and pickup trucks blowing your doors off? Get a JB4 or a tune! Eventually you’ll need a TCU tune or a clutch (there’s no “best” transmission”)

Want more power & sound? Get a downpipe!

Thinking of going catless? STOP, these are daily driven cars...get a cat. If you can’t afford a Catted downpipe you can’t afford to mod the car anyway.

Want it to sound good? Get a Resonated Midpipe!

Wanted it to sound good and loud? Get a Resonated catback (skip this step if going faster matters more than being louder)

Want it to be faster than your coworkers car? Get a bigger turbo

And so on, and so forth.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
An upgraded intercooler was the best mod I've done so far, after a stage 1 tune. I used to be anti-TIP but did recently install the MST Performance TIP and silicon hose.

EVERYONE has intake mods, myself included.

I don’t believe anyone is “anti-TIP”, you just have to know there’s a dozen better ways to spend your money. I got mine for free, so it was almost worth the 5 minutes it took to install. Zero difference noted at stage 2 power.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Want it to sound good? Get a ....

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Mods you are wasting money on Diggs Edition:

Custom tuning for pump gas.

There’s one E85 pump within about 100 miles of my house, and it’s 20+ miles in the opposite direction of my work 😢

Not that it matters, I’ve been APR tuned since Q1 of 2016 back when TVs were black and white and E85 wasn’t an option anyway

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Flow chart for mods:

Do you have a Mk7? Buy an intercooler upgrade.

Oem engine and transmission mounts?
Buy BFI

Stock tires? Unless you drive 20-40k per year and will wear those puppies out

GET SOME REAL TIRES!

Do you speed up for corners?

Get a rear sway bar!

Like what the rear swaybar did? Good! Leave the front alone, or you’ll gain your understeer back.

Are accords, minivans, and pickup trucks blowing your doors off? Get a JB4 or a tune! Eventually you’ll need a TCU tune or a clutch (there’s no “best” transmission”)

Want more power & sound? Get a downpipe!

Thinking of going catless? STOP, these are daily driven cars...get a cat. If you can’t afford a Catted downpipe you can’t afford to mod the car anyway.

Want it to sound good? Get a Resonated Midpipe!

Wanted it to sound good and loud? Get a Resonated catback (skip this step if going faster matters more than being louder)

Want it to be faster than your coworkers car? Get a bigger turbo

And so on, and so forth.

Admins, please sticky this post.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
EVERYONE has intake mods, myself included.

I don’t believe anyone is “anti-TIP”, you just have to know there’s a dozen better ways to spend your money. I got mine for free, so it was almost worth the 5 minutes it took to install. Zero difference noted at stage 2 power.
:) I was responding to bobbie hotsauce up there, who bumped up this ancient thread. I was 100% anti-TIP lol, felt there was no proof one did anything. I basically have been slightly bored the past few weeks, so got the MST tip+hose. Mostly based on Jeff's flow tests (and it was on sale). I know it's still something you really don't need. Now I have that, no snow grate, and AFE dry filter on the intake side.