GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which brand fuel works best

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
93 octane is 93 octane. Octane rating is directly related to knock resistance. A possible explanation is the Costco fuel is actually higher than 93 octane. Is your log showing you’re making more HP with the Costco fuel? This would mean the CPU is allowing more advanced timing.

I could care less about the infinitesimal gains given by 3 more degrees of timing on one cylinder due to better fuel. I am purely interested in getting my knock reduction as low as possible for the safety and longevity of my motor. And in my case the Costco gasoline produced less knock than the tank of 93 Shell gasoline that I had run earlier.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I could care less about the infinitesimal gains given by 3 more degrees of timing on one cylinder due to better fuel. I am purely interested in getting my knock reduction as low as possible for the safety and longevity of my motor. And in my case the Costco gasoline produced less knock than the tank of 93 Shell gasoline that I had run earlier.
FWIW, 3* of timing is not an “infinitesimal gain” in the least bit. That’s a LOT of extra power.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
FWIW, 3* of timing is not an “infinitesimal gain” in the least bit. That’s a LOT of extra power.

Sure is. I picked up an additional 30 HP by using Torco octane booster mainly because the timing could be increased.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
I know this has been debated in different places but having used supermarket diesel in my 2.0 GT I am sure that the brands, BP Shell and esso, give a bit higher mileage per gallon and the car runs smoother. What do others think?

Use the best diesel you can buy...... Shell V-Power if you intend keeping the car a while

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1

I said 3* of timing on an individual cylinder. The knock is not bad enough for the engine to pull overall timing. 3* of timing for the whole engine is a huge difference.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I didn't know, why? I will switch to Shell. Merci.
Two of the most popular tuners for the mk7 platform, who are both in CA have found that Shell provides the best quality 91(I realize this is like saying one is the coldest person in Hell) in terms of knock reduction, and allowable timing. One of the tuners has stated that he has repeatably found that Shell 91 allows for up to 4* more timing than Chevron, specifically.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Two of the most popular tuners for the mk7 platform, who are both in CA have found that Shell provides the best quality 91(I realize this is like saying one is the coldest person in Hell) in terms of knock reduction, and allowable timing. One of the tuners has stated that he has repeatably found that Shell 91 allows for up to 4* more timing than Chevron, specifically.
What about cleaning additive? Techron is suppose to be one of the best.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What about cleaning additive? Techron is suppose to be one of the best.

From what I'm reading since you're in California get Shell and buy a bottle of Techron from a parts store. But Shell has cleaning agents in it also as do all Top Tier gasoline brands.