GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to drive faster!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So getting better but I'm still having issues when dropping into second. It's not smooth and the car jerks to much. Clutch and gas timing not right yet dropping to second. Thanks for the tip

What speed are shifting into 2nd? It sounds like you could be lugging the motor if it jerks when shifting to 2nd.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Motor mounts also really help with that

Motor mounts now? No IMHO and experience. That can come later. They would just help conceal the OP's lack of experience with his manual transmission and inhibit his learning. The stock set-up will work just fine for learning on if the OP continues to practice and make adjustments like he has indicated. Hang in there- you ARE getting better. Making mistakes is OK- that is just part of the learning process.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
You need to get more comfortable driving it "normally" so your brain, ears, hands, seat of the pants all get used do what the engine sounds like in each gear, all accelerator positions, each clutch release, etc. Once you have that "muscle/ear/speed memory" you'll know where proper shift points are and be able to increase your speed.

You really can't get in a new car and drive it like you've been driving it for decades. You have to learn it. Sounds like you could be on your way to needing a new clutch much sooner than you should. All the jerkiness you're describing indicates you don't know where the proper clutch release points are, you're maybe releasing it much too quickly, shifting at the wrong point, etc. So you need to learn the car before you kill it.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Hi all thanks for all your help so far. I'm become a better manual driver by joining this forum.

I have been able to drive very smoothly with this car when driving like a granny. But I want to have some more fun with the car. This is where things get harder for me.

I think the problem is when going full throttle on 1st, I let the gas off fast, clutch in and shift into 2nd (5k rpm) however the rev hangs forever. If I let the clutch out sooner I would feel a jerk because the rpm is too high get 2nd at the current speed and a big jerk would happen (rock back and forth too). If I let the clutch out later to smooth it out then I lose speed which would mean a lower rpm at 2nd as well. I found that if I release the clutch out fast I'll get the jerk but if I press the gas hard immediately the jerk would sort of stop but most likely it's slipping the clutch.

Oh it's complicated.... Looks easy but hard to get right for a noob.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi all thanks for all your help so far. I'm become a better manual driver by joining this forum.

I have been able to drive very smoothly with this car when driving like a granny. But I want to have some more fun with the car. This is where things get harder for me.

I think the problem is when going full throttle on 1st, I let the gas off fast, clutch in and shift into 2nd (5k rpm) however the rev hangs forever. If I let the clutch out sooner I would feel a jerk because the rpm is too high get 2nd at the current speed and a big jerk would happen (rock back and forth too). If I let the clutch out later to smooth it out then I lose speed which would mean a lower rpm at 2nd as well. I found that if I release the clutch out fast I'll get the jerk but if I press the gas hard immediately the jerk would sort of stop but most likely it's slipping the clutch.

Oh it's complicated.... Looks easy but hard to get right for a noob.

After you shift out of 1st are you completely releasing the gas pedal when doing this full throttle? The big jerk when you shift out of 1st is because you're not getting back on the throttle when you shift into 2nd and you're getting compression braking. Try doing this at half throttle until you get smoother to lessen the chance of any damage.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
After you shift out of 1st are you completely releasing the gas pedal when doing this full throttle? The big jerk when you shift out of 1st is because you're not getting back on the throttle when you shift into 2nd and you're getting compression braking. Try doing this at half throttle until you get smoother to lessen the chance of any damage.
I think you are right. Thanks

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I'd stop trying to be fast until you learn how to be smooth. The best way to use a clutch is to push it as little as possible without jerking the car around. Try driving around normally and getting able to use the clutch pedal like a switch instead of something to slip to match revs. DSG now but I've had vehicles (before rev holding) that you could drive pretty smoothly without even using the clutch. Get off gas, put to neutral, wait for revs, slide into next gear, continue down the road. No idea if that's feasible here and not recommended but the idea is to never slip the clutch except from a standing start and then as little as possible. Pull with the motor and never the clutch unless you're power shifting and OK with early replacement and you don't gain much if anything anyway.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
I'd stop trying to be fast until you learn how to be smooth. The best way to use a clutch is to push it as little as possible without jerking the car around. Try driving around normally and getting able to use the clutch pedal like a switch instead of something to slip to match revs. DSG now but I've had vehicles (before rev holding) that you could drive pretty smoothly without even using the clutch. Get off gas, put to neutral, wait for revs, slide into next gear, continue down the road. No idea if that's feasible here and not recommended but the idea is to never slip the clutch except from a standing start and then as little as possible. Pull with the motor and never the clutch unless you're power shifting and OK with early replacement and you don't gain much if anything anyway.
I don't know if I can do this without breaking the car from practicing. This approach is very new to me and sounds really advanced. Thanks

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
Learning to drive fast with a manual is a little like learning to play the guitar. If you try to play fast when you are still unskilled it will sound awful. If you try and drive you car fast before you are skilled you are going to burn your clutch up and mess up your car. If you are learning the guitar you practice, practice, practice playing precisely and slowly play faster and faster while maintaining that precision.

Try driving normally but try and make your shifts so smooth a passenger would not ever notice you have made a shift. For the time being make your shifts at a moderate rpm while accelerating at a moderate speed. Make your 12 month goal to become a skilled driver instead of a fast driver. As you become more and more skilled your ability to drive fast will automatically increase.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Learning to drive fast with a manual is a little like learning to play the guitar. If you try to play fast when you are still unskilled it will sound awful. If you try and drive you car fast before you are skilled you are going to burn your clutch up and mess up your car. If you are learning the guitar you practice, practice, practice playing precisely and slowly play faster and faster while maintaining that precision.

Try driving normally but try and make your shifts so smooth a passenger would not ever notice you have made a shift. For the time being make your shifts at a moderate rpm while accelerating at a moderate speed. Make your 12 month goal to become a skilled driver instead of a fast driver. As you become more and more skilled your ability to drive fast will automatically increase.
^nailed it. Study and log your rpm/speed for each gear until it becomes second nature