GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler and Downpipe?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
honestly CTS has been fine for me, CAI, turbo elbow, outlet, muff delete. fitment was all fine. I say CTS > IE . no need to spend 100$ on a turbo elbow from IE :p

Do you have the new cast CTS turbo inlet? Because I have the older version and you can't even compare it to the IE one. My CTS turbo inlet deformed just from tightening the hose clamp.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Are there no good FMIC solutions for this platform?
LTM/JD euro is also an option for a good unit... You can get the kit with 1 of 2 cores, the treadstone tr8L core 24x7.8x3.5(very proven IC manufacture) Or with the vibrant core 22x9.25x3.25 (same core used in Jakes kit) under 20 cubic inches internally between the 2.

Install and fitment were great for me, couple hours including removing the bumper.

E917B763-597C-4E55-A31E-802212E3A61B.jpeg
D5A17C10-BA43-4381-8E6B-A192AC5CA9C5.jpeg
F4EC7526-0946-4B0F-9149-5B3AAB5B6C87.jpeg
18159BAC-13F4-4AF8-B998-A40A9415DE8F.jpeg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
honestly CTS has been fine for me, CAI, turbo elbow, outlet, muff delete. fitment was all fine. I say CTS > IE . no need to spend 100$ on a turbo elbow from IE :p
On that same point of view - On is20, even 38 you could say there’s no need to spend the $$$ on either of the 2 :p

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Do you have the new cast CTS turbo inlet? Because I have the older version and you can't even compare it to the IE one. My CTS turbo inlet deformed just from tightening the hose clamp.
how new, i mean i got mine in like 2018 so idn probably the old one, but it fit fine lol, the elbow of OEM is really small, looks like a little horn

ecacafce

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 GTI Autobahn
ECS FMIC w/ charge pipes NO
CTS FMIC NO
APR YES
IE YES

Add Unitronic to your list. Good and cheaper than IE or APR.

DP? Jake's or IE. Jake's can come with a good resonated midpipe, which you'll want.

What about the factory mount BMS intercooler? Seems like a good deal with decent results.

SomeAircraftMech

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
Just linking to Jake(trusted forum member and good fabricator) since OP is a new member and might not know of him and that he is not allowed to advertise.

https://www.facebook.com/gtijake/
yep, newer to the forum and not sure how the rank up system works, i have definitely heard and read a bunch of GTiJake, also that the DP was less of a budget option from him anymore HAHA, but honestly gonna check it out.

SomeAircraftMech

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
Thanks for the input guys/girls its greatly appriciated, definitely gonna explore these options. Heard Jakes DP was damn good but went up in price, and pretty sure i read about that magic/majesty intercooler also, if im not mistaken it requires a bunch of little modifications for fitment?? Definitely not scared to tear into the car (just did the clutch myself in 1.5 days) but would like to know what im getting into before hand to make sure i have all the little parts i may need since i have a shop to work out of.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
how new, i mean i got mine in like 2018 so idn probably the old one, but it fit fine lol, the elbow of OEM is really small, looks like a little horn

They have a cast one now. Have you taken off the intake from the inlet lately? I've seen a few (including my own) where the hose clamp dented the opening of the inlet pipe. The metal is real soft. The cast one is priced below IE's and they don't require a 3" intake.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Thanks for the input guys/girls its greatly appriciated, definitely gonna explore these options. Heard Jakes DP was damn good but went up in price, and pretty sure i read about that magic/majesty intercooler also, if im not mistaken it requires a bunch of little modifications for fitment?? Definitely not scared to tear into the car (just did the clutch myself in 1.5 days) but would like to know what im getting into before hand to make sure i have all the little parts i may need since i have a shop to work out of.

Owning his full set up, let me try to explain.
The V1 was built specifically to hit a low price point, and due to that, lower quality materials were used.

His V2 is a downpipe to match the no-expense top quality materials of the rest of his line of parts. The V2 doesn't share a single component with the V1 and costs more in materials alone than the full price of the V1 as a result, hence some of the price point you see.

My .02..... Totally happy and impressed with the fit, finish and performance, not to mention supporting a club member and small business! He essentially loses out with almost no mark up too.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Big fan of the Unitronic DP, have had mine with an O2 space and no CEL. Great fitment, quality welds, they go on sale too. Just had the Unitronic intercooler installed last week. Noticed the difference when driving long distances on the highway and then pulling the car a few time, again, wait for a sale. Not being an elitist but from my own eyes and those of a reputable VW independent shop, their items can be “spotty” with fit and finish at times. My 2 cents, take it for what it is.