GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler and Downpipe?

SomeAircraftMech

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
The time is near for upgrading these so I'm stuck and was looking for opinions. First, the intercooler, the few that i have moved into final consideration are the ECS FMIC w/ charge pipes, CTS FMIC, APR, and IE, I'm NOT considering a twintercooler.. I'm sure you all have recommendations so i'd like to hear the pros and cons from those using any of these ( I am stationed in New Orleans, Louisiana so it HOT AF in the summer) looking to go stage 2+ shortly and want my ducks in a row especially the cooling. Second, the downpipes i'm considering are Catted APR, IE, CTS, and MAYBE COBB or UNITRONIC. Opinions or facts as far as fitment, power gain, problems, and product quality would be much appreciated. The car scene down here is pretty much non-existent unless you drive a charger or challenger so the forum and Youtube is my only reference haha.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If it's hot AF, a front mount is going to be best. The fitment of the IE and APR are excellent if you go with factory location. I have the IE DP and the quality and fitment are excellent.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
ECS FMIC w/ charge pipes NO
CTS FMIC NO
APR YES
IE YES

Add Unitronic to your list. Good and cheaper than IE or APR.

DP? Jake's or IE. Jake's can come with a good resonated midpipe, which you'll want.

Are there no good FMIC solutions for this platform?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
lol I used jakes FMIC its one of the best out there. my logs show it keeps car within 4-6 of ambient temp, it also comes with metal pipes, none of the plastic crap. It looks cool and its easier to install then stock location and its less $ then most of the top name brands. Yes it has less core cubic inches, any fmic will have less cubic in then stock location as they are bigger but it still works wonders compared to stock and its better than most out there.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
lol I used jakes FMIC its one of the best out there. my logs show it keeps car within 4-6 of ambient temp, it also comes with metal pipes, none of the plastic crap. It looks cool and its easier to install then stock location and its less $ then most of the top name brands. Yes it has less core cubic inches, any fmic will have less cubic in then stock location as they are bigger but it still works wonders compared to stock and its better than most out there.
Just linking to Jake(trusted forum member and good fabricator) since OP is a new member and might not know of him and that he is not allowed to advertise.

https://www.facebook.com/gtijake/

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I do suggest all of jakes stuff but if you dont have a lot of money there are cheaper options, ebay intercooler direct fit is good, you just need to alter it a bit
I have a cts dp and it works fine (I didn't install)
I deleted my midpipe so yeah.
I think everyone has the o2 spacer as its needed for the downstream o2 sensor to prevent CEL

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
every single CTS part I've ordered has seemed to fit just a bit off. I will no longer waste money on their products.

It's called character ?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I’ve enjoyed my Baun Performance FMIC. It keeps temperatures nice and cool and the craftsmanship is excellent. Plus he’s a great guy to deal with.