Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Drove to a ghost town of an office today to repair a melted down server at work. It was nice blasting music without any coworkers, but at the same time, I missed seeing everyone.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Changed out the pedals

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_172509.jpg
    IMG_20200331_172509.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 91

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
$350? I've never once heard someone say they only paid $350 in labor for a clutch install on this car.

There's nowhere I'd trust to do it right for $350. If I thought that was possible, I'd have paid for it in a second. Anywhere reputable, around here at least charges at least double that. Most indy places a clutch + RMS could run $1000 easy and a dealership is charging $1500 afaik.

Well guess I answered my question then. The indy that did my clutch charged me $500 cash the first time, and $450 the second after the throw out bearing failed due to manufacturing defect. This is in Canadian dollars, so roughly $350 USD. They do loads of work on VW's and countless locals have gone to their shop for clutches and even bigger jobs.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Changed out the pedals
They look great... how's the install? Can you back to stock with relative ease? Not that I would go back to stock, but I looked at pedals by some other manufacturers and you basically have to destroy your existing pedals to install. I've looked at those Rennline pedals and added/removed them from my cart more times than I can count.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
They look great... how's the install? Can you back to stock with relative ease? Not that I would go back to stock, but I looked at pedals by some other manufacturers and you basically have to destroy your existing pedals to install. I've looked at those Rennline pedals and added/removed them from my cart more times than I can count.
I followed this video

Putting stock back is easy. Taking them out was kind of a pain especially the gas pedal.

They are two expensive I think. If cheaper I would recommend them. Cost me $300 with shipping and tax.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
View attachment 168883

Part 7.

Clutch and rear main seal install completed. Workshop now suitably wrecked. All tools covered in various dirt and fluids, one million shop rags used, old t-shirts now must be turned into new shop rags.

Went on a 20 mile shakedown trip earlier this morning. No weird noises, nothing feels off, no oil, tranny or other fluid leaks... yet. I'll have to deliberately drive for no reason to get through the 500 mile break in period if the quarantine doesn't get lifted.

New clutch seems to work perfectly fine. Definitely harder effort than stock by about 25%. Bite point is just about in exactly the same spot, maybe a tiny bit lower.

Was this worth the savings in labor charges to diy... I honestly don't know..

Great job you should be proud of yourself. I hope you saved some shop towels if you can't get any TP. ?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
View attachment 168883

Part 7.

Clutch and rear main seal install completed. Workshop now suitably wrecked. All tools covered in various dirt and fluids, one million shop rags used, old t-shirts now must be turned into new shop rags.

Went on a 20 mile shakedown trip earlier this morning. No weird noises, nothing feels off, no oil, tranny or other fluid leaks... yet. I'll have to deliberately drive for no reason to get through the 500 mile break in period if the quarantine doesn't get lifted.

New clutch seems to work perfectly fine. Definitely harder effort than stock by about 25%. Bite point is just about in exactly the same spot, maybe a tiny bit lower.

Was this worth the savings in labor charges to diy... I honestly don't know..
good work, remember the best break in miles are stop and go, i'd say 600 stop and go or 800 stop/ highway

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Where? Probably not a dealership, or any kind of certified indy shop.
Indy shop of sorts. Forum member who works in a family owned transmission shop and does mk6 and mk7 clutch and transmission work on the weekends. He's done more than 40 clutch jobs for local forum members.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Indy shop of sorts. Forum member who works in a family owned transmission shop and does mk6 and mk7 clutch and transmission work on the weekends. He's done more than 40 clutch jobs for local forum members.

Well then that's a hell of a good deal no doubt about it. No such option for me, so diy it was.