GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

From Unitronic Stage 2 to EQT Stage 2 Base Map -- Yay or Nay?

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I’m in the same boat as you. Am uni stage 2 and just bought the eqt stg2 during the sale. Wanted the access port and the options it gives down the road. Have not heard anything but positive comments about eqt really so with the sale it seemed too good to pass up.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m in the same boat as you. Am uni stage 2 and just bought the eqt stg2 during the sale. Wanted the access port and the options it gives down the road. Have not heard anything but positive comments about eqt really so with the sale it seemed too good to pass up.

Did you get it yet?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
bottom line, the EQT tune just hits harder, faster. It peaks around 29 PSI, where Uni would only peak at 24. Unitronic was more linear, and smoother. EQT is by no means rough, but that extra 5 lbs of boost is significant, it'll pin you to the back of your seat, and like you already said, your tires will chirp in second and third.

I liked the exhaust sound of the Unitronic tune better. The burbles were throaty, burbly (if that's a thing). EQT is just pops and bangs, and you have to reselect sport mode every time you want to turn them on.

If you switch, you will notice an immediate difference, and you'll definitely like the tune, but if you're not planning on utilizing the Access Port for more than just flashing ANOTHER stage 2 tune, you really gotta ask yourself if it's worth the money.

Your last point is very valid, and after I got walked by a Supra (judging from the sound, I assumed it was tuned) tonight, I decided that I will get a protune. I'll see if I can get an E30 from EQT. I don't think there's much of a point in swapping one base tune for another, even if EQT will be a little bit better. Especially since I think I'll continue blending, I want to get the most out of whatever E blend it is that I'll be running.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this Accessport thing: Cobb sells the AC itself for $675 at the moment, right?
This is the website I'm looking at:
https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/volkswagen-accessport-v3-mk7-mk7-5-gti-jetta-a7-gli

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Your last point is very valid, and after I got walked by a Supra (judging from the sound, I assumed it was tuned) tonight, I decided that I will get a protune. I'll see if I can get an E30 from EQT. I don't think there's much of a point in swapping one base tune for another, even if EQT will be a little bit better. Especially since I think I'll continue blending, I want to get the most out of whatever E blend it is that I'll be running.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this Accessport thing: Cobb sells the AC itself for $675 at the moment, right?
This is the website I'm looking at:
https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/volkswagen-accessport-v3-mk7-mk7-5-gti-jetta-a7-gli

That price is correct. Does EQT still have their sale going?

Justgotohm

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE SP 6sp M
Kinda late here, I have an EQT Stage 2, I’m very satisfied. The power comes on strong around 3300 rpm and feels linear to around 5500 where it begins to drop. I believe this is where an Is38 will be most helpful in the future.
I have a manual car, 1st gets an easy throttle, second pretty much the same or I get wheel spin even well up into the rpms, I have the factory LSD. Forth gear is strong, I seem to be quicker than cars I wouldn’t think I could take, namely new 5.0’s, Scat pak Challengers (exceptionally faster), etc, etc.
Like I mentioned very satisfied and EQT’s customer service is outstanding.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Kinda late here, I have an EQT Stage 2, I’m very satisfied. The power comes on strong around 3300 rpm and feels linear to around 5500 where it begins to drop. I believe this is where an Is38 will be most helpful in the future.
I have a manual car, 1st gets an easy throttle, second pretty much the same or I get wheel spin even well up into the rpms, I have the factory LSD. Forth gear is strong, I seem to be quicker than cars I wouldn’t think I could take, namely new 5.0’s, Scat pak Challengers (exceptionally faster), etc, etc.
Like I mentioned very satisfied and EQT’s customer service is outstanding.

Not too late since I've just ordered the accessport with the base stage 2 tune. But I think a protune is absolutely in the cards for me in the very observable future.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Not too late since I've just ordered the accessport with the base stage 2 tune. But I think a protune is absolutely in the cards for me in the very observable future.
lol why did you get base stage 2 if you are going to get a protune?

btw that's definitely the right call if you are going to go the fueling route.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
lol why did you get base stage 2 if you are going to get a protune?

btw that's definitely the right call if you are going to go the fueling route.

I'm not ready to shell out the extra half a grand on a protune just yet, but may as well try the base tune for shits and giggles since it comes as part of the accessport package.

Yeah, I would like to get the most out of the fuel I run. I already have an E content sensor and gauge, and I got used to blending, so may as well continue.

Justgotohm

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE SP 6sp M
I did the same thing, went Stage 2 knowing I will be going with a Is38 and a pro tune in the future. I had the AP already so the $175 wasn’t a big deal while I prepare to drop a few grand on a new turbo and tune. I look forward to reading your thoughts on the tune.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I did the same thing, went Stage 2 knowing I will be going with a Is38 and a pro tune in the future. I had the AP already so the $175 wasn’t a big deal while I prepare to drop a few grand on a new turbo and tune. I look forward to reading your thoughts on the tune.

I will definitely update this thread with my impressions, perhaps someone will find them useful in their own search for the perfect tune.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Did you get new colder spark plugs for Ed's base stage 2?