GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buy now or wait for Mk8? Sarah reviews the 2020 GTI S

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Remains to be seen. I don't think the MK8 is going to be any better mechanically than the MK7.5. Now, you'll probably get the digital gauge cluster and some other interior upgrades, but it's up to you how much of a difference that actually makes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Remains to be seen. I don't think the MK8 is going to be any better mechanically than the MK7.5. Now, you'll probably get the digital gauge cluster and some other interior upgrades, but it's up to you how much of a difference that actually makes.

No buttons or knobs on the media player is an interior downgrade.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
No buttons or knobs on the media player is an interior downgrade.
Its a PITA to hit any of the "touch buttons" on the infotainment of my '19 SE. My '18 civic si had the HVAC built INTO the slow as hell android driven infotainment. I hated that because if you left the heat or a/c on you had to wait for the screen to boot before you could turn the air off or adjust the fan speed. It was idiotic. The '19 si fixed that I think, or the '20 did. So I say no thanks to the mk8 with the touch garbage.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Its a PITA to hit any of the "touch buttons" on the infotainment of my '19 SE.

Totally agree. I had a '16 first that I'd upgraded to the 8" matte screen with the original hard buttons. Perfect. The current glossy screen & capacitive buttons is a MASSIVE downgrade as far as I'm concerned. Might even "downgrade" it back to the old 8" setup.

The Mk8 is a full blown disaster with sliders and capacitive touch controls EVERYWHERE.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I agree. I rode in a buddy’s ‘17 Cuvic Sport and the infotainment was awful. But not all touch screens are created equal. Tesla is the only company I’ve heard of thus far that makes a widely liked main touch screeen with all of the cars controls integrated. I’m not saying the VW will be this good, I’m just saying it’s not impossible to make a good one. But I’m with you guys. Buttons and knobs over screens every day. (When it comes to cars)

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
She did pretty good work on an MR2 and an MK1 Audi TT. If you can get past the fact that she used to be a he, it's a good automotive channel.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I could careless about the knob/dial for infotainment on these cars as I just hook up CarPlay and everything is via Siri. I use steering wheel controls as needed. I've had Honda cars with the touchpanel volume controls and I did not find them to be annoying. It worked as it should.

At least the Fender stereo sounds very good.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I could careless about the knob/dial for infotainment on these cars as I just hook up CarPlay and everything is via Siri. I use steering wheel controls as needed. I've had Honda cars with the touchpanel volume controls and I did not find them to be annoying. It worked as it should.

At least the Fender stereo sounds very good.

A volume knob is a must. My wife previously had a 17 Accord and the digital volume slider was horrible for the passenger to use in motion.

The problem with the digital buttons is there is no way, at least that I know of, to switch between CarPlay and say satellite radio from the steering wheel controls.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Accord is no fun, that was your first mistake.

.. I think

You missed the part that it was my wife’s car, fun to drive wasn’t a major influencer in the purchase decision.

It makes little to no difference from the drivers seat, but have you ever tried using it from the passenger seat while in motion? It’s terrible.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
and if you can't, go fuck yourself. it's 2020.

Pretty sure he was kidding. She was never a he - she's just very tall with big hands, and a pronounced adam's apple, and a 9" dong.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
she's just very tall with big hands, and a pronounced adam's apple, and a 9" dong.

Status
Not open for further replies.