GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery questions

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
All,

Recently my 2.5 yr old H6-AGM battery died - luckily 3 year old warranty still works.

When the stock one died I replaced with this AGM battery but didnt do anything with VCD/OBDEleven. Store said the battery had a bad cell.
15 SE here, I am not quite sure if I have BEM but def start/stop button.

My replacement is exact same battery since is covered by warranty from advance auto.
Do I need to worry about reseting anything this time? My take is if I ran the last battery for 2.5 years, there is probably nothing wrong w/ the car knowing the new battery is there or not right?

This is my 2nd battery in 5 years but was told in Texas this is normal....

Thanks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
On some of the newer models with forward collision warning etc you need to do a battery adaptation but otherwise most likely not. Yeah pretty normal to replace a battery that often in a hot climate.

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
You have start/stop on a '15, and you're in Texas? That doesn't make sense. No early Mk7's in the USA had it.

OP probably means Kessy: '15 Autobahn had it, and SE also IIRC.

I am no expert by any means, but AGM is a different type of battery than a standard flooded lead acid and has a different charging cycle so it would be best to make the basic changes in VCDS or OBD11:
1 - change the serial # so the BCM knows its a new battery
2 - change the type to AGM so the charging cycle is optimized (this might help mitigate some heat related issues since charging the battery creates heat?)

GolfDave has an excellent thread in the DIY section that explains the differences in battery types and coding changes in much better detail!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
OP probably means Kessy: '15 Autobahn had it, and SE also IIRC.

I am no expert by any means, but AGM is a different type of battery than a standard flooded lead acid and has a different charging cycle so it would be best to make the basic changes in VCDS or OBD11:
1 - change the serial # so the BCM knows its a new battery
2 - change the type to AGM so the charging cycle is optimized (this might help mitigate some heat related issues since charging the battery creates heat?)

GolfDave has an excellent thread in the DIY section that explains the differences in battery types and coding changes in much better detail!

@StealthGTI also has a YouTube video showing the OBDeleven changes he made. I went ahead and did them when my battery died and I made the jump to a Group 48 AGM. As @hooville mentioned, the reasoning makes sense to me to take the few minutes and change those couple of parameters since you're dealing with a new battery of a different size and type.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have a 2 door '15 SE mt purchased in November 2014 and I have the start/stop button and kessy.

You have the start/stop round button for keyless go - not the "stop/start" function that stops the engine every time you come to a stop. That's clearly what the OP meant and has to be the case for your car too, because the feature didn't exist in the USA yet in '15.

As for coding the battery, the info that's been floated at the OBDeleven forums and elsewhere is that if you don't have a BCM (and cars here that don't have start/stop don't have it), then recoding for the battery change isn't necessary. Is that info accurate? I have no idea. To be safe, just recode via OBDeleven or VCDS and know it's done. Takes < 1 minute to do it with OBDeleven.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Thanks everyone. I just need a new andriod tablet for my OBDEleven, since my old one dies...

Yes, I have a Keyless go start/stop, not annoying one that start/stop the engine at every stoplight :)

sounds like i dont have to do the recoding of the battery, but if I get a chance i would do it.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
I just dropped in my third battery yesterday (2015 Autobahn). Replaced a Duralast Gold H5-DLG with the same after 2.5 years as a free replacement. Although I have OBDEleven, I didn't know bat. adaptation was a thing. Worked fine the last couple years, and batteries last less than 3 years on all my cars here in Texas.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just dropped in my third battery yesterday (2015 Autobahn). Replaced a Duralast Gold H5-DLG with the same after 2.5 years as a free replacement. Although I have OBDEleven, I didn't know bat. adaptation was a thing. Worked fine the last couple years, and batteries last less than 3 years on all my cars here in Texas.

Battery adaptation is a thing but only for certain circumstances. Has nothing to do with longevity.