GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 Year Service

btscott

Passed Driver's Ed
I just did my second oil change. I do them myself. Only 5800 miles after 2 years. Other than oil change any other recommendations to service with only 5800 miles on the car? Thanks.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Full brake flush and clutch if manual

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Mine is a 2017 bought new in 2017, currently at about 6300 miles. Besides a thorough visual inspection, oil and filter change is all she needs unless your brakes are mushy for some reason. I would also check your tire pressure if you haven't done so already.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
2 years old, brake fluid absorbs water vapor, most places recommend changing at this time and you will feel a difference.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I suppose it could, but I've yet to experience this in real world on my low milage cars. I've bought over 30 new cars in my life time and the ones I followed the 2yr brake fluid change (low milage cars) had zero difference after the job. So I only do brake flush when they actually feel mushy or discoloration in the reservoir. I do my own maintenance and have the proper equipment to do it correctly.

But this is just how I do it, others may be intrigued to change it and they should if it makes sense to them.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I suppose it could, but I've yet to experience this in real world on my low milage cars. I've bought over 30 new cars in my life time and the ones I followed the 2yr brake fluid change (low milage cars) had zero difference after the job. So I only do brake flush when they actually feel mushy or discoloration in the reservoir. I do my own maintenance and have the proper equipment to do it correctly.

But this is just how I do it, others may be intrigued to change it and they should if it makes sense to them.
Same here as to doing my own maintenance now for about 50 years and have owned many cars and motorcycles and still never go more than two years on doing a full brake system flush no matter what the mileage. Mileage is not the key here but time as the fluid does absorb water vapor as it this weakened over time.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I've bought over 30 new cars in my life time and the ones I followed the 2yr brake fluid change (low milage cars) had zero difference after the job. So I only do brake flush when they actually feel mushy or discoloration in the reservoir.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Same here as to doing my own maintenance now for about 50 years and have owned many cars and motorcycles and still never go more than two years on doing a full brake system flush no matter what the mileage. Mileage is not the key here but time as the fluid does absorb water vapor as it this weakened over time.

This, of course, is the correct answer. Ignore that idiotic advice above to wait for a "mushy" pedal or discoloration of the fluid. Possibly the worst advice ever dispensed on this board, and that would be quite an accomplishment.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mine is a 2017 bought new in 2017, currently at about 6300 miles. Besides a thorough visual inspection, oil and filter change is all she needs unless your brakes are mushy for some reason. I would also check your tire pressure if you haven't done so already.

Yep definitely a good decision to finally check the air pressure in the tires after two years. ?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
You folks do what you need to do, I just do the brakes when they feel they lost the sharpness in initial response. I've had cars that needed brake flush within a year after a fast canyon run. Hardly milage or age based. 2yrs/milage interval is just a guide. If you're worried you can just bleed the brakes too. That'll give you a visual reference if you're not sure by pedal feel.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R