GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap tires for daily driving

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Since there is a thread for mid-priced tires, this one is for the cheap stuff on Ebay, like Lionhart, Achilles and the newest - Mucho Macho. :D

These tires are W rated "performance" all seasons that are ridiculously cheap. They seem to have some good reviews.

The question is, are they any good for strictly street use. Does anyone here have firsthand experience with these tires?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Federal SS595 can be had for less than $80 a tire, to your door. Accelera PHI can be had for very cheap too. Neither are THAT bad of a tire.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Maybe a better metric would be to ask you what you consider "mid-tiered" and/or "cheap". Those words are relative...

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I provided three examples of cheap tires and you added one. The mid-tiered tire thread has examples of mid-tiered tires.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
didn't we already go over this is the other thread, just buy, indys, faulkens, gmax rs, or pirellis. Tirerack is having a sale on almost all of them and they can be hand for stock 225 (sub 400) and 235 around 430. case closed. Cheaping out more than that is really not worth the money, buy the cheap cheaps and get the cheap cheap

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
I ran Achilles ATR Sport 2 on my B7 A4 235/35r19. They were around $80 a tire. They werent great, and thats even with Quattro on my side. I ran Nankang NS-25 on my stage 2 MK5. Terrible. Wouldnt put the power down at all and hardly any traction in the rain. I am never buying cheap tires again.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
didn't we already go over this is the other thread, just buy, indys, faulkens, gmax rs, or pirellis. Tirerack is having a sale on almost all of them and they can be hand for stock 225 (sub 400) and 235 around 430. case closed. Cheaping out more than that is really not worth the money, buy the cheap cheaps and get the cheap cheap

We did, and all of those are sensible cheap and bang for the buck. Going cheaper means unheard of chengshit from China and it's just not a good idea.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Why would you even cheap out on such an important part of the vehicle?
There are cheap tires that are excellent. You make it sound like cheap tires are going to blow or you're automatically gonna hydroplane lol..

My college car(01 integra)... I bought neuton nt5000 and ohtsu fp7000 for about $250 and $280 installed respectively and honestly, I have to say they were incredible value for the money. I got 35-40k miles off both sets and they handled dry and rain better than I needed. Take care of your tires, watch out for curbs/potholes and know the limits and the tires will go through a full life cycle.

OP: I've enjoyed the brand OHTSU in the past (subsidiary of falken tires) Check out the fp8000 for an inexpensive summer tire or fp7000 for an all season tire.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
There are cheap tires that are excellent. You make it sound like cheap tires are going to blow or you're automatically gonna hydroplane lol..

My college car(01 integra)... I bought neuton nt5000 and ohtsu fp7000 for about $250 and $280 installed respectively and honestly, I have to say they were incredible value for the money. I got 35-40k miles off both sets and they handled dry and rain better than I needed. Take care of your tires, watch out for curbs/potholes and know the limits and the tires will go through a full life cycle.

OP: I've enjoyed the brand OHTSU in the past (subsidiary of falken tires) Check out the fp8000 for an inexpensive summer tire or fp7000 for an all season tire.

Ok buddy, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

Dr. Q

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTi, Miata, F150
Stopping distances should be the most important data point when shopping for "cheap" tires for daily driving. No matter how conservative you may be driving, you cannot control those in front of you.
Q