GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Polk Audio DB6502 Component Install with Crossover - Front Door and Tweeter

pointerDixie214

Car(s)
2019 GTI; 1971 MGB
2019 GTI without Fender. I installed Polk Audio DB6502s in the rear, which was super easy since the tweeter and the mid are both in the door, and the factory head unit seems to power them well - what a HUGE upgrade. Tomorrow, I am going to do the front. What I can't figure out is how the tweeter and mid are wired in relation to one another. Only one set of wires leaves the head unit (+ and -) for the front left and the front right. I've read the tweeter and mid are wired parallel with the tweeter upstream toward to head unit, and I have read the mid is upstream toward the head unit.

I am trying to figure out if the crossover should go in the door or the dash, and how the heck to wire this. Admittedly, despite the fact I have done several car audio installs over the years, I've never used components where I wasn't just replacing a 2-way speaker, and I don't speak electrician. I"m half tempted to custom mount the tweeter in the actual door panel so I don't have to screw with this. But it will look and sound better if I use the factory position for the tweeter.

I'm already dreading the a pillar panel removal, but I am sure I can do that with some patience. The wiring is the potential pickle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I searched a bit, and found a few helpful posts, but they were above my head regarding my electrical knowledge.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Is the unit a 2 way cross as a single unit?

the factory tweeters are jumped off the same line as the door speakers and they just have a cap on the back of the tweeter as the cross over. you can reuse the factory line to power the mid driver but the tweeter will need to be run new from your crossover, the location is up to you. Either run put the crossover on the hatch with the amp and line converter (if you’re running an amp) or put the crossover in the door some where (protected from moisture) and use the factory signal as the input and Run new lines to the driver and tweeter. The hard part will be getting it from the door to the a pillar in a clean non obtrusive manner.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Also the A pillar covers... they are easy once you see how the SAFETY Christmas tree clips work on those as they are a 2 step process to remove (they lock in place after the come out 1/2” to protect the driver from it being a projectile in an accident) google how to remove and there a good vid showing you how.

pointerDixie214

Car(s)
2019 GTI; 1971 MGB
Thanks. I am running these from the factory head unit, so no amp. I guess I'll have to figure out how to run wire from the door up to the a pillar. Not a huge deal, but I am sure it'll be a PITA. haha

I've read several posts and watched a couple videos about the a pillar, so I am sure I can do that, it'll just take some patience. And remembering to disconnect the battery first due to the air bags.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Just run a wire from crossover which you will wrap in bubble wrap and stick in door cavity. Tweeter wire runs through door check rubber and into door jamb through a plastic inspection cover that pops out. i soldered everything. yes, you will see a speaker wire when door is open but it is only like 3" long and is parallell to door check, no big deal AND well worth it. Also set the tweeter at the crossover to 0 or -3 DB cut, if you run most of them at +3 the tweeter will be overly bright.

pointerDixie214

Car(s)
2019 GTI; 1971 MGB
Just run a wire from crossover which you will wrap in bubble wrap and stick in door cavity. Tweeter wire runs through door check rubber and into door jamb through a plastic inspection cover that pops out. i soldered everything. yes, you will see a speaker wire when door is open but it is only like 3" long and is parallell to door check, no big deal AND well worth it. Also set the tweeter at the crossover to 0 or -3 DB cut, if you run most of them at +3 the tweeter will be overly bright.
Thanks.

Just to be sure I understand, are you saying you ran new wire from the crossover in the door to the tweeter, or are you saying there is existing wire to work with that is already routed that way (which would be awesome)?

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
No, you have to run your own wire. Really it is not difficult at all. I used JL Audio in all four doors. I hot melt glued new tweeter into front A pillar mounting spot, same as factory location.

enrique71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
2019 GTI without Fender. I installed Polk Audio DB6502s in the rear, which was super easy since the tweeter and the mid are both in the door, and the factory head unit seems to power them well - what a HUGE upgrade.

Hi, I may do the same. Did you follow an online video to do the rear doors? If so, could you please share how you replaced the speakers w/ Polk Audio DB6502 ? Regarding the front, you may want to check out the following video(s), this details all the work step by step for the front doors and A pillar.

pointerDixie214

Car(s)
2019 GTI; 1971 MGB
Hi, I may do the same. Did you follow an online video to do the rear doors? If so, could you please share how you replaced the speakers w/ Polk Audio DB6502 ? Regarding the front, you may want to check out the following video(s), this details all the work step by step for the front doors and A pillar.

Thanks. I just used an adapter for the back, no sweat.

Thanks for the videos, although I don't see in those videos where he does the front doors to the a pillar. Granted I was fastforwarding through them. I'll look more closely, as I am stuck on this part right now how to get the wire from the door into the car.

pointerDixie214

Car(s)
2019 GTI; 1971 MGB
Sorry if this pic is huge. But this is what I have to work with.

20200315_151758.jpg

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
You might be able to push a wire hanger inside the boot then tape the tweeter wire to the end and pull it through. Im not sure how tightly capped that connector is once clicked in place. Or if you're really ballsy, find a few holes if any in a cluster and drill them out. I doubt all of those slots are taken. Just don't scrape any of the existing wires.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm here for impressions of the results

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You might be able to push a wire hanger inside the boot then tape the tweeter wire to the end and pull it through. Im not sure how tightly capped that connector is once clicked in place. Or if you're really ballsy, find a few holes if any in a cluster and drill them out. I doubt all of those slots are taken. Just don't scrape any of the existing wires.
Yup, second option is the only ways to do clean and oem looking... there’s not enough room anymore with new cars and the harnesses, it’s not like before where we. Had a grommet to push it through. That’s why I went with routing the new wires to the tweeter from the back. I didn’t want to rig the wire and be visible (even loomed) when I open the door.

there is a guy on YouTube that shows the method for drilling out a section of the harness.

another option can be to find a location under the dash for the crossovers, then you can use the output from the dash for the input too the passive then us the existing door speaker line for the door driver and then run new wire from under the dash to the tweeters.

last thing to check cause I don’t recall it’s to see if the harness that connects to the door speaker has the tweeters signal right there , then you can do the door method for the crossover and still not have to mess with the door harness.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I love the idea of finding the tweet wires in that harness! Please try for that but leave enough room to make your connections and be able to put it all back when you sell the car.