GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Thanks for the link ^. I'm going to guess that VW produced it for world press consumption.

Appears so. Music not nearly annoying as the average YouTube amateur, that's for sure.

I'll still reserve final judgement until I see one in the flesh, but I'm just not digging the Mk8 much at all at this point. Exterior styling & proportions just look odd to me from some angles. Don't like the taillight shape. Front end looks like 2-3 people designed it in different rooms. Side view and some angles from the rear just look... weird. And that interior. I like the simplicity and the fact that they didn't get carried away with trying to over-style everything (looking at you, BMW). I like the highly configurable cluster. But absolutely hate all those touch/slider controls for everything. Big fail. And not a fan of the 1-piece front seatbacks - clearly a cost-cutting measure. Centered GTI logo (in funky changed-for-the-sake-of-change font) looks completely wrong - put it back where it belongs. Oh well. Let's get them into the hands of some real reviewers. That will be interesting and give us more insight into what it's like to drive and interact with.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Man, I'd kill for a three pedal RS3 hatch. I'd settle for an S3, but would love the sound of that five. I realize there's a zero percent chance of this happening, of course.

me too.

...wouldn't it be possible to relatively-easily swap a motor from a wrecked US RS3 into a Golf R, though?

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
The new Audi A3 has just had its world debut and my initial thoughts are I already prefer it to the mk8 golf (although it basically is one) with the added bonus of REAL climate buttons! How retro?
View attachment 166905

Those ugly vents on either side of the driver look out of place. Other than that it looks better imo than the MK8 interior.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Those ugly vents on either side of the driver look out of place. Other than that it looks better imo than the MK8 interior.
Yeah, would have to see them in person to decide if they look ok, Lamborghini inspired apparently!, as is the large dished area on the lower part of the rear door..
I think the vents are actually more of a ‘uh oh! Where do we put the vents now we’ve put that screen there’ ?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
If those are touch sensitive controls on the steering wheel it's a big mistake. There will be too many accidental touches.
Why is that? Do you accidentally engage cruise now? Or change tracks? I admit that I rarely, if ever, use the steering wheel controls, so I'm not sure that I care either way. I'm sure they're haptic and require a little pressure.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Why is that? Do you accidentally engage cruise now? Or change tracks? I admit that I rarely, if ever, use the steering wheel controls, so I'm not sure that I care either way. I'm sure they're haptic and require a little pressure.
Yes they are haptic and DO require pressure.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I think that shifter is gonna go over like a fart in an elevator. Who wants a dumb little thing like that in a car like the GTI or R? Oh well, maybe they improved the flappy paddles over the 7/7.5. :rolleyes:

Not sure how good it will look in a Fast and Furious movie.
Quick shifts with two finger shifting shots!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
The new Audi A3 has just had its world debut and my initial thoughts are I already prefer it to the mk8 golf (although it basically is one) with the added bonus of REAL climate buttons! How retro?
View attachment 166905

Audi wheel spokes look odd.
The 9 and 3 position.
Like the bottom fell off.
Other than than agree it looks better, but Audi's are a step up.
TT had one of the nicest ones I have had a chance to sit in.
Thought the GTI was nice until I sat in the TT.

This is an interior, as is the R8.

1583778907827.png

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anyone seen a curb weight mentioned for the Mk 8 GTI yet? There was early talk that it would be 200lbs lighter, but I'll believe it when I see real weights. A 200lbs weight drop is about the only thing that would get me out of my mk7, and probably not even that.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Anyone seen a curb weight mentioned for the Mk 8 GTI yet? There was early talk that it would be 200lbs lighter, but I'll believe it when I see real weights. A 200lbs weight drop is about the only thing that would get me out of my mk7, and probably not even that.
Just checking TopGear, it appears that as much as I can tell, a 2.0TDI DSG Mk7 was 3,065 pounds and a 2.0 TDI DSG Mk8 is 3,185 pounds, so 120 pounds heavier, not lighter. Of course by the time VW USA is done decontenting the ROW Mk8 GTI, maybe it really will be 2,900 pounds. It might not have seats, brakes or wheels, but hey, they're such good guys.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

Would be nice and worth the other short comings but that is a lot for a no body change.
Unless they went in and change much of the steel to high strength steel, seats to carbon fiber, and body panels to aluminum or carbon.