GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discuss: 7-speed DSG in 2019-2020 MK7.5 GTI

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Um I'm in my car ten hours per day so I know what RPM's it turns at 75. Mines an 18 if that makes a difference.
DSG must be geared a bit different than my model.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Today I tried the newly discovered (lol) S mode on my 2019 SE.

I was getting on the highway and put my foot down and made sure to hit the kickdown switch. Well the transmission downshifted and held the revs for what seemed like an eternity (2 seconds?) before it let me accelerate. What the hell. If I had downshifted it manually into 2nd I could have just mashed the throttle and it would have gone.

Maybe its doing that to protect itself but this was after 10 minutes of driving in "D" at a smooth pace while the car coolant and oil warmed up.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
You can get that lag without the kickdown. Sort of arbitrary when it catches you out. It's a throttle setting in the ECU for economy that should be changed to direct.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
You can get that lag without the kickdown. Sort of arbitrary when it catches you out. It's a throttle setting in the ECU for economy that should be changed to direct.
Is this something I can change in VagCom or OBDeleven? edit: Looks like it is! So much for getting that exhaust first. I guess the OBDeleven will be my first "mod". Going to turn that soundaktor off as well. :D

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8988673-Throttle-Mod-Direct-Acceleration-Tweak
Yeah at first I was like wow that was a quick downshift and then it just sat there and my disappointment grew, haha.

Overall the car feels like a rocketship compared to my '14 GTI with the 6 speed dsg but the transmission definitely has differences thats for sure.

Last edited:

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
That Direct acceleration doesn't do anything as far as I can tell. It certainly doesn't fix the kick down delay.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Some debate about it. At 1st I believed the doubters because I have seen placebo in others before, so bought a pedal tuner which helped. Got a carista a week later and tried the throttle setting and sent the pedal tuner back. I had a big problem with the lag and the revised setting cured it without needing a jumpy pedal from a tuner.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Ill try it and see .. I want to get one anyways to turn off the soundaktor anyways. Theres a few other things I want to tweak as well that if it doesnt make a difference it wont be wasted money.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Just ran the car today on the Homestead-Miami roadcourse. In manual mode the 7sp DSG is in its element on the track. Very happy with its performance today. Up/downshifted when I asked it to. Didn’t interfere or balk with my inputs.

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
My 2015 felt like all the gear changes were sharper. They were definitely quicker. I run my new 2019 in S mode almost all the time in traffic to avoid the sluggish feel. I do like how the new car doesn't seem to hang on to a gear forever when in S. Overall, I think my 2015 felt a lot more alive.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Someone who owns an 18gti said their 6spd dsg doesnt autoupshift in 1st or 2nd gear so you can bang on the rev limiter, true or false? This is a big plus over the 7spd if true.
With the stock DSG tune, the DSG will auto upshift in manual mode. It will auto downshift if revs drop to around 1000RPM.

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
So after reading this thread I decided to pay attention to how the DSG shifts a bit more. I realized that my lack of complaint is likely due to the fact I only operate the car three ways. If I'm highway cruising I run the ECO setting. The crappy throttle response keeps me from getting into the boost easily and protects MPGs. Most of the time I have the car in sport but the transmission in drive which makes the pedal feel much better and more responsive. When I'm having fun I run sport mode and transmission in manual or S.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
If it's like the 6 spd. you can toggle to sport from eco and it will be the same sport mode as when toggling from D. The crappy throttle response is there in E or D but the transmission shifts a bit differently. Maybe the throttle is a bit different but I didn't notice it. Both needed help. If there's a difference in throttle between D and E, it's pretty subtle in the 6 sp. Change the throttle setting in the ECU to direct and non sport modes will feel better. Some notice it more than others but those that complain about pedal lag usually really like doing that.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
More gears more better

K3RMIT

Passed Driver's Ed
Doubling the service interval to 80k is a nice bonus as well. On my MK6 6-speed, I decided to do my own DGS service at 80k, but paid $600+ to have the dealership do the 40k service.