GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Official GTI Bag.
Looking for my Secret Santa Member I found this neoprene bag on Amazon. Not large but an official bag and good quality. Comes in red or black. Sharing link and pictures. 16oz bottle for comparison. Good for electronics bag, shaving kit bag or in my case will hold a small tire inflator pump and maybe some small tools.

Looks like Official VW bag.
Made?????? Germany????

VW GTI 3D Neoprene Universal Bag - HEXAGON/Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6NFZR7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_3GmSrDZfeoJEg

Attachments

• 865A7739-6D88-4281-AE2D-32C136B52B4B.jpeg
    865A7739-6D88-4281-AE2D-32C136B52B4B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
  • 088F8B1B-5E33-4A92-92EA-6CE3C620FA48.jpeg
    088F8B1B-5E33-4A92-92EA-6CE3C620FA48.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
  • 10ED5FDE-A14C-4FC3-B517-32257F0A36EF.jpeg
    10ED5FDE-A14C-4FC3-B517-32257F0A36EF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 185
  • 11B81FE9-3D1F-4E2B-B922-1A3BBB9816AF.jpeg
    11B81FE9-3D1F-4E2B-B922-1A3BBB9816AF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 201
  • AD210C9E-7974-4CE2-AD89-7D7CCC9D9F0E.jpeg
    AD210C9E-7974-4CE2-AD89-7D7CCC9D9F0E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 211
  • 0D6D771B-375E-4384-A290-9389F55D3899.jpeg
    0D6D771B-375E-4384-A290-9389F55D3899.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Deautoled front/rear footwell red LEDs.

When they came out with this upgrade I put in an order. I have had the front footwell red LED’s for a few years now and always wanted the rears added. The new kit comes with new front LEDs and are wired to an LED strip that can reach under the front seats.
You remove the older LED’s and install the new.

I asked Deautoled for some install details so I could see how they intended for the wire to be routed and led strip installed. Received a few pics but still had to decide the details.

The issue with front LED’s is the wire must feed out of the plastic cover. There is no opening for this but at the end there is a little room. Tight but doable. I could have cut the cover but did not want to cut up the thin plastic. The next issue is the German Engineers make the opening for the front led a perfect fit. So there is no room for the wire to slide up in. Using a cutter I make a small opening on the end of the square location so the wire fit and the front led slid in place. Running the wire is fairly easy until you get next to the seat. I could only reach so far before I could not longer tuck in. Some may not like the exposed wire but I use a crack filler product on each side of the seat to keep junk out and make cleaning easier. Purchase these a while back at Walmart.

With the wire now under the seat I decided best location to mount. I felt the pipe that makes the back edge of the seat frame was a good location. Metal which you need for the heat sink and round so you can mount in several location. If you have kids you can mount farther around and under to keep it from being kicked.
The light strip has 3m tape but not sure how well it will hold. They do send 3M auto tape and I suggest you use this on install. Edit(I did go back and add the 3M tape to the driver side. Started to come off).

Before you wire tie up the extra wire under the seat decide how much seat travel you want. The Autobahn drivers seat goes a long way back. If you do not leave enough wire then the light may get pulled off the tape.
I cut the strip which has around 20 LED'S on it down to 9.
9 fits the width of the pipe and better matches the light output.of the front. Front has 6 leds and the rear now has 9.

As the rear is wired to the front the dimmer control also works in the rear. Overall a good mod. Looks great at night.
Just hard to get under the front seats. Getting old for this stuff.

Many pics.

Light strip cut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NICE! Thanks for sharing. Can we share the photos?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Do you still have your Eibach kit installed on stock DCC dampers?

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
NICE! Thanks for sharing. Can we share the photos?

Yes!
Still running great.
Love the red.
Have had my license LED bulbs for 4 years. Original set replaced for free due to diodes going out. Have an alert. This was an older design. Over a year now on and I started getting a light warning. All look ok so might unplug, grease connections and reset codes.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Do you still have your Eibach kit installed on stock DCC dampers?

Yes!
They were installed at 10,000 miles and am now at 71,000. No issues Springs. Have had 034 mount replaced with improved 034 design. Upgrade, now uses a washer between shock and mount. Smoother rotation and hopefully better wear. Have had over a year. At 80,000 might have shop remove and check. Will have replacements just in case. But love the springs and Eibach sway bars. Just wish pro kit springs were red!!!!!!!

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yes!
They were installed at 10,000 miles and am now at 71,000. No issues Springs. Have had 034 mount replaced with improved 034 design. Upgrade, now uses a washer between shock and mount. Smoother rotation and hopefully better wear. Have had over a year. At 80,000 might have shop remove and check. Will have replacements just in case. But love the springs and Eibach sway bars. Just wish pro kit springs were red!!!!!!!
I'm looking at the Eibach springs for my DCC. I just crossed 55k miles but sounds like theres no issues with dampers wearing out? I keep reading mixed impressions that the DCC chocks will wear out with lowering springs and then i read that they won't. Seems like everything is still going strong for you so I'm less concerned. I wish they were red as well

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I'm looking at the Eibach springs for my DCC. I just crossed 55k miles but sounds like theres no issues with dampers wearing out? I keep reading mixed impressions that the DCC chocks will wear out with lowering springs and then i read that they won't. Seems like everything is still going strong for you so I'm less concerned. I wish they were red as well

I found a good Master Mechanic a year ago that owns his shop within an hour of my house. At the time I was having sound issues up front and I felt it was the spring mounts. 034. On the first visit we test drove and he investigated and made adjustments. He also agreed with the mounts. He was a user of 034 parts and suggested I stay with them bu install new. WhenI I ordered new 034 mounts they came with a washer in addition to the mounts. I contacted them to verify purpose. From their info and when my were removed, the top part of the shock was drilling a hole in the mount. This was the sound when turning and also caused spring to loose tension slightly. The washer fit between the shock and mount providing a smooth rotation. How it is wearing I am not sure but prior sound has not returned. As stated may have them removed and replaced at 80,000 to inspect. I want to see how they look.
On the shocks I asked him if we should replace DCC while apart. He felt if they were the non DCC shock then yes replace. Cost is lower. But with DCC one should run to failure at that cost point.
I do drive in a safe rural area. If I drove in a bigger city with bad roads I might not own a GTI or would run 17” wheels. Not sure how some of you in the East run day to day on roads.
So far I feel DCC is a good part and a great option for me. This is with a 1” lowering. More than this, then who knows what will happen.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I found a good Master Mechanic a year ago that owns his shop within an hour of my house. At the time I was having sound issues up front and I felt it was the spring mounts. 034. On the first visit we test drove and he investigated and made adjustments. He also agreed with the mounts. He was a user of 034 parts and suggested I stay with them bu install new. WhenI I ordered new 034 mounts they came with a washer in addition to the mounts. I contacted them to verify purpose. From their info and when my were removed, the top part of the shock was drilling a hole in the mount. This was the sound when turning and also caused spring to loose tension slightly. The washer fit between the shock and mount providing a smooth rotation. How it is wearing I am not sure but prior sound has not returned. As stated may have them removed and replaced at 80,000 to inspect. I want to see how they look.
On the shocks I asked him if we should replace DCC while apart. He felt if they were the non DCC shock then yes replace. Cost is lower. But with DCC one should run to failure at that cost point.
I do drive in a safe rural area. If I drove in a bigger city with bad roads I might not own a GTI or would run 17” wheels. Not sure how some of you in the East run day to day on roads.
So far I feel DCC is a good part and a great option for me. This is with a 1” lowering. More than this, then who knows what will happen.
The roads I drive on aren't terrible by any means, mostly suburban, sometimes in the city, sometimes rural when I visit the folks. A few small bumps but for the most part they're avoidable. Eibach doesn't have a crazy drop so I think they would be a good fit. Thanks for the tips about the 034 mounts. Really don't want to have to buy new shocks for a while given how expensive they are haha. But if I do have to change them, I'm going Bilstein DCC compatible for sure

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Yes!
Still running great.
Love the red.
Have had my license LED bulbs for 4 years. Original set replaced for free due to diodes going out. Have an alert. This was an older design. Over a year now on and I started getting a light warning. All look ok so might unplug, grease connections and reset codes.

Thanks. I sent them to the team to share. It looks great!

Stanislao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2018
Hi sandmangti, I have been reading your thread specially the bearing spring mount issue.

Recently I lowered a almost brand new gti mk7.5 with new bearings, after a week the car developed a clicking sound while turning the steering wheel.
I have read a lot of threads about this issue on this forum.
Everyone points at the bearings but Im taking other approach, I think the problem is that when the car is lowered the springs don't sit properly on the bearing and the load on the spring is not evenly distributed. This cause that the spring at first don't move the bearing when turning the steering then it corrects itself making a click sound.

This video explain it better.

The initial steering turning stress the mount cause the bearing is not moving, that's why the mount brakes in the long run.
The washer on the 034 mounts help to avoid this issue but still I think there is too much stress to the mount and the bearing.

I'm thinking maybe a thrust washer between the bearing and the springs would solve the issue .
Like the one swift sales for their coilovers.

https://amrengineering.com/product/swift-springs-thrust-sheet-kit-606570mm-id/

Edit: sorry for my English I'm not native speaker :)

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Thanks. I sent them to the team to share. It looks great!
My under dash RGB LED's failed recently. The Red LED's don't work anymore on one of them, but every other color works. Red flickers like a strobe light for a few minutes then completely dies out. Looking at the module, there are still LED's lit up but extremely dim so they don't put off any noticeable light

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
My under dash RGB LED's failed recently. The Red LED's don't work anymore on one of them, but every other color works. Red flickers like a strobe light for a few minutes then completely dies out. Looking at the module, there are still LED's lit up but extremely dim so they don't put off any noticeable light

Contact Deautoled, they will replace. You will likely have to return yours first. Give them a call. They will honor lifetime warranty. Sorry for your issue. Must have red!