GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The dealer can see the TD1/TXD code before he even makes a claim. They can see is in the online tool 'elsa' where they check history and car info. There the Flagg wil be visible. When a car is scanned for normal maintaining work the engine 'life cycle' écu data is auto send to vw. Auto flagging running can take some time my old car gtd 7 got flagged after 1 year. But however if there is done some extra work the check happens instantly for example my gti is flagged within 1 min after updating mib firmware. Also the tech/dealers must start a guided programe 'waranty check' when big engine an drivtrain work is done. Then it also gets flags within minutes.

You're a VW tech if IIRC from another thread, correct?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes tech/workshop manager at dealer

What you're saying also is what my friends at my dealer are telling me too. The dealer can detect a tune and don't have to wait until VW denies a claim. Thank you for the verification.

When I take it in for an oil change, they're going to scan it and see if it flags after unmarrying my AP.

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
What you're saying also is what my friends at my dealer are telling me too. The dealer can detect a tune and don't have to wait until VW denies a claim. Thank you for the verification.

When I take it in for an oil change, they're going to scan it and see if it flags after unmarrying my AP.
Then be sure to not only do a scan, auto detect can take longer to be detected.
They have to do some coding of update (online) of other modules. Or do the warranty checker. Then if it doesnt get flagged your sure it want in the future

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I don't go to the dealer for oil changes but why does your dealer scan it for just an oil change?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't go to the dealer for oil changes but why does your dealer scan it for just an oil change?

They don't. Pay attention.

I have friends at the dealer, I'm asking them to do a full scan, for science.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They don't. Pay attention.

I have friends at the dealer, I'm asking them to do a full scan, for science.

I was paying attention. See your post that I quoted. You said when you take it in for an oil change. Regardless even though in case I'm wrong I'll be interested in the outcome.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was paying attention. See your post that I quoted. You said when you take it in for an oil change. Regardless even though in case I'm wrong I'll be interested in the outcome.

Let me say for at least the tenth time in this thread, I've asked my buddies, one a tech, the other a service advisor to scan the car for me so that the internet will finally have an answer to the question of whether an unmarried AP will flag TD1. They're going to do it at MY request as a favor when I take it in for an oil change.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Let me say for at least the tenth time in this thread, I've asked my buddies, one a tech, the other a service advisor to scan the car for me so that the internet will finally have an answer to the question of whether an unmarried AP will flag TD1. They're going to do it at MY request as a favor when I take it in for an oil change.

Great. I'm looking forward to the result. Please though understand that I saw your post saying when you take it in for an oil change and simply asked if that was common procedure at that dealership to scan a car when it's there just for an oil change. The post that I quoted and responded to didn't say that it was a special request by you to scan it. Thus the confusion.

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
It is normal practice to scan car when doing maintance/oil change. They check it for stored errors and do the oil change indicator reset.

cb1111

Great. I'm looking forward to the result. Please though understand that I saw your post saying when you take it in for an oil change and simply asked if that was common procedure at that dealership to scan a car when it's there just for an oil change. The post that I quoted and responded to didn't say that it was a special request by you to scan it. Thus the confusion.
The problem is, as I indicated earlier, that we can no longer believe what he says in this regard as we have essentially given him permission to lie.

Don't believe me? Now he is saying that he is doing this "so that the internet will finally have an answer to the question."

One scan, done by a buddy, will give a definitive answer for the entire internet? That sounds a bit arrogant so we already know what he is going to say the "result" of the scan was. He has no other option as he has painted himself into a very small corner.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The problem is, as I indicated earlier, that we can no longer believe what he says in this regard as we have essentially given him permission to lie.

Don't believe me? Now he is saying that he is doing this "so that the internet will finally have an answer to the question."

One scan, done by a buddy, will give a definitive answer for the entire internet? That sounds a bit arrogant so we already know what he is going to say the "result" of the scan was. He has no other option as he has painted himself into a very small corner.

You're such a douche. I don't care if they can tell if you unmarry an AP or not, everyone at the dealer knows my car is tuned. I've seen this debated on the forums and I know the answer when it comes to Subarus from experience, and I'm in a place to help answer the question for the mk7. That's it.

A VW tech in this thread has just confirmed that what my friends at the dealer told me, i.e. that they CAN tell if it flags, even after you repeatedly claimed they can't with zero proof. You're the problem here, you're the one that's spreading misinformation in this thread and can't be trusted.

And let's get to the bottom of what you're really mad about. You're really mad that the VW patch didn't fix the stalling issue and I might be right that they still don't know the conditions that cause the stalls and it still may involve the ECU not getting the correct oil pressure reading.

You're a piece of work.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
What I find interesting about this topic (how the TD1 flag works/gets applied) is that after all these years, we still see a variety of descriptions from folks at the dealers both techs and service writers/managers.

cb1111

What I find interesting about this topic (how the TD1 flag works/gets applied) is that after all these years, we still see a variety of descriptions from folks at the dealers both techs and service writers/managers.
That is in part because only the computer in the Fatherland knows all the specifics and isn't talking.

We know that the computer in Germany sets the flag based on the update count ("our computer says we flashed the ECU 3 times, but the ECU is reporting 5 times") and we know it is reported to the people authorizing or denying a warranty claim when it is submitted. What isn't so crystal clear is what visibility the local techs have.

From what I've been told by corporate, the dealers in the US can't see the flags on a scan. This makes sense as it takes them out of the loop. I don't know if dealers in other countries can see the flags - certainly not on a "normal" scan.