GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

cb1111

The issue still persist for my DSG GTI. I stalled 4 times today. I contacted VW of America Customer Service and filed a complaint and was given as case number for it. And within two days of my filing I stall 4x in one day. Three times in traffic coming to a stop, and once again at the stop sign entering my neighborhood. What pisses me off is its doesn't throw a code and the dealer couldn't reproduce on a test drive when I last brought it in. The dealer is almost 2hrs. round trip drive from my house. It not a convenient issue to chase and as a DD, I'm losing my patience quickly. Wonder if VW would be patient if I held off on my payments until they come up with a resolution for it?
Did you also file a complaint with NHTSA?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The issue still persist for my DSG GTI. I stalled 4 times today. I contacted VW of America Customer Service and filed a complaint and was given as case number for it. And within two days of my filing I stall 4x in one day. Three times in traffic coming to a stop, and once again at the stop sign entering my neighborhood. What pisses me off is its doesn't throw a code and the dealer couldn't reproduce on a test drive when I last brought it in. The dealer is almost 2hrs. round trip drive from my house. It not a convenient issue to chase and as a DD, I'm losing my patience quickly. Wonder if VW would be patient if I held off on my payments until they come up with a resolution for it?

I'd try 5w-40 oil. ?

• Haha
Reactions: kak

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Well, I'm not really sure what's happening. One of the tech guys said the ECU update was done in December. The main tech guy says it wasn't because they wouldn't have done that specific flash without a diagnosis first.

And they won't actually do anything for me right now. They want to drive the car around for X amount of miles until the problem shows itself again. I'm not sure I'm cool with that so I am calling around for second opinions.

do what I did: you call them. tell them that when you arrive to drop off your car, you will then bring a tech along with you to show them how to reproduce it. that's it. don't leave until you have one of them there in the passenger seat when it happens. Make sure that they see the tach plummet to 0 with your clutch on the floor. Make it obvious.

I learned that after my first trip and they couldn't reproduce it on their own, after ~1 week holding it. Granted--that was earlier on and the stalling had basically stopped for me, as well. ...it didn't shock me. fast-forward 500-700 miles, and it was on like gangbusters. Maybe 25 stalls within 2 weeks, after making it easily reproduceable after a 10-15 min parking lock circuit of hard start/stops. Anyway, I was also fortunate with a shop that didn't ever give me pushback on this. ...though I did avoid a closer one that just wouldn't listen over the phone. Didn't even bother with those dudes, haha.

so after the 2nd drop-off, they called me back in 2 days, said they reset the ECU after speaking with VW, tested themselves (As per my instruction, lol), and said it was great. I told them I wouldn't sign off until I took it out myself, and they were cool with that. It's been flawless ever since, so 3k+ miles, summer and uh "winter" such that is around here right now...

I still haven't changed the oil, btw, but I'm just waiting for some more stuff to arrive in mail. I'm at 1.4k miles, but car just dinged one year on its official birthdate (1/19) and I'd rather make sure it gets swapped out in the 1 year time. ...yes, I've been slacking.

No, I don't believe this is really oil related (or fixable by oil--I think it's an ECU fix that makes a proper adjustment to oil-pressure readings or something...you know, something that simply replacing the oil could never actually fix) I do wonder, now, if I swap it to the 508 that I've ordered, fully assuming that this NA-made GTI was loaded up with regular Castrol 0w20 (at the time, I'm not sure that any 508 Castrol was commercially available?), that this non-508 to 508 swap will cause...issues.

Maybe I will even gain the 30 butt hps or something?

maybe?

Last edited:

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I would say just try a DSG but I don't want to start anything. ?

Uh, his is a DSG.

....this is interesting. I recall ~this time last year when this issue started gaining traction, that there were some reports of DSG that we never heard back from in any frequency. ...I wonder if cold weather = DSG stalling, and hot weather = 6MT stalling? I mean, 6MT stalling vanished in the late fall, no? :D

yeah I know, ECU fix still seems very successful outside of some edge cases--gobyfish^ case up there, I have my doubts that his was actually fixed, and just sales FUD from dealers that didn't know anything about...wonder if it was a VW dealership, actually? ...not that means anything towards competence on the issue. It's been a mixed bag up to this day

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Uh, his is a DSG.

....this is interesting. I recall ~this time last year when this issue started gaining traction, that there were some reports of DSG that we never heard back from in any frequency. ...I wonder if cold weather = DSG stalling, and hot weather = 6MT stalling? I mean, 6MT stalling vanished in the late fall, no? :D

yeah I know, ECU fix still seems very successful outside of some edge cases--gobyfish^ case up there, I have my doubts that his was actually fixed, and just sales FUD from dealers that didn't know anything about...wonder if it was a VW dealership, actually? ...not that means anything towards competence on the issue. It's been a mixed bag up to this day

Oops. Thanks.

gobyfish

do what I did: you call them. tell them that when you arrive to drop off your car, you will then bring a tech along with you to show them how to reproduce it. that's it. don't leave until you have one of them there in the passenger seat when it happens. Make sure that they see the tach plummet to 0 with your clutch on the floor. Make it obvious.

I learned that after my first trip and they couldn't reproduce it on their own, after ~1 week holding it. Granted--that was earlier on and the stalling had basically stopped for me, as well. ...it didn't shock me. fast-forward 500-700 miles, and it was on like gangbusters. Maybe 25 stalls within 2 weeks, after making it easily reproduceable after a 10-15 min parking lock circuit of hard start/stops. Anyway, I was also fortunate with a shop that didn't ever give me pushback on this. ...though I did avoid a closer one that just wouldn't listen over the phone. Didn't even bother with those dudes, haha.

so after the 2nd drop-off, they called me back in 2 days, said they reset the ECU after speaking with VW, tested themselves (As per my instruction, lol), and said it was great. I told them I wouldn't sign off until I took it out myself, and they were cool with that. It's been flawless ever since, so 3k+ miles, summer and uh "winter" such that is around here right now...

I still haven't changed the oil, btw, but I'm just waiting for some more stuff to arrive in mail. I'm at 1.4k miles, but car just dinged one year on its official birthdate (1/19) and I'd rather make sure it gets swapped out in the 1 year time. ...yes, I've been slacking.

No, I don't believe this is really oil related (or fixable by oil--I think it's an ECU fix that makes a proper adjustment to oil-pressure readings or something...you know, something that simply replacing the oil could never actually fix) I do wonder, now, if I swap it to the 508 that I've ordered, fully assuming that this NA-made GTI was loaded up with regular Castrol 0w20 (at the time, I'm not sure that any 508 Castrol was commercially available?), that this non-508 to 508 swap will cause...issues.

Maybe I will even gain the 30 butt hps or something?

maybe?

Great ideas here, but I've only had a two incidents of stalling within ~160 miles of driving. I actually took a really funny tech out today for a drive and we spent about a half hour in the car chit chatting. It was fun but unfortunately the car behaved like an angel. Not a single hiccough. As mentioned in one of my earlier messages, I did tell the tech guy on the phone to just do an ECU reset. They closed for the night right after that, so we'll see what they say tomorrow. Given the options of leaving the car with them for a week while they joy ride it, or taking it home to await a future time when it stalls more, uh, reproduce-ably, I'll opt for taking it home.

Was there something you were able to do to make the car purposely stall? I did a handful of starts/stops with the tech in the car, but nothing untoward happened.

Last edited:

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
My DSG stalled 3 times when I had auto start stop disabled via Carista. Ever since I set that back to factory I haven’t had any issues. (6k miles)

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got a postcard saying my plate is in at the dealer. I’ve stalled 7x so far I believe before I even got a plate in the damn car.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
It does it either way but was able to get back to back stalls after the first time while shifting manually and running out the gears.

gobyfish

It does it either way but was able to get back to back stalls after the first time while shifting manually and running out the gears.

What does "running out the gears" mean? If you've found a way to reproduce the issue at will, that'd be a great thing.