GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My guess is most cars stopped stalling after a certain mileage, for the most part, and we all got the flash and reported that our cars that had already stop stalling weren't stalling.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Had mine stall at me at 800 miles the car was low on gas with 25 miles of range I was sitting at the pumping waiting in line and it just kept dieing. After I fueled her up drove her 600 miles back home from Vegas to Modesto I’ve never have had the issue since I’m currently at 2,800 miles 3 weeks of ownership.

Details on the car is it’s a 2019 6 speed S models and the color is great falls highland green.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
Although mine hadn't stalled for about 2,000 miles before the update, I did have occasional stumbles where the car seemed like it was about to stall/almost stalled under the same condition as my stalls (clutch in, car in gear, slowing to a stop).

I haven't had any of those in the several hundred miles since the update.

gobyfish

Howdy, all!

First time posting here and wanted to throw my experience in the ring as well, just in case. Just bought a brand new 2019 VW GTI SE 6MT a week ago. At roughly 130 miles it stalled 3 times while either slowing for red lights or already stopped. Those all happened within about 2 minutes.

Then again the other day slowing for a stop light it stalled again (@ 166 miles).

Just brought it to the dealer and the tech guy at the desk said the 24FD zap had already been done to my car back in December 2019. Will wait to see what the technicians say, but looks like I may be one of the unlucky ones for whom the flash didn't work.

I'll report back when I know more.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It'll be interesting to see if the 2020's continue to have the same stalling issue with brand new 6mt's.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Howdy, all!

First time posting here and wanted to throw my experience in the ring as well, just in case. Just bought a brand new 2019 VW GTI SE 6MT a week ago. At roughly 130 miles it stalled 3 times while either slowing for red lights or already stopped. Those all happened within about 2 minutes.

Then again the other day slowing for a stop light it stalled again (@ 166 miles).

Just brought it to the dealer and the tech guy at the desk said the 24FD zap had already been done to my car back in December 2019. Will wait to see what the technicians say, but looks like I may be one of the unlucky ones for whom the flash didn't work.

One would think a decent service writer would “reflash” just to make sure the flash was done in the first place.

Are you also having issue with the gear indicator being off in the 3/4 gear zone? Or, are you getting the stumble at ~3400rpm?

For the record, VW still shows my 24FD open, and I know I got it done.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Howdy, all!

hmm, same behavior as mine, but the Dealer ECU reset worked for me (this was back in ~June, well before there was an announced fix of any kind). The stalling for me was always there, paused for about 500 miles on a long road trip, then came back with a serious vengeance, and the stalls and rough idle disappeared immediately after the ECU reset.

I've not yet done the official fix, assuming there is actually a software patch rather than a simple reboot...as yes, it seems this isn't working for some.

please be sure to also submit an NHTSA complaint that the applied fix did not solve your stalling problem. ....I guess, is it also possible that the record of your ECU being patched is incorrect?

gobyfish

hmm, same behavior as mine, but the Dealer ECU reset worked for me (this was back in ~June, well before there was an announced fix of any kind). The stalling for me was always there, paused for about 500 miles on a long road trip, then came back with a serious vengeance, and the stalls and rough idle disappeared immediately after the ECU reset.

I've not yet done the official fix, assuming there is actually a software patch rather than a simple reboot...as yes, it seems this isn't working for some.

please be sure to also submit an NHTSA complaint that the applied fix did not solve your stalling problem. ....I guess, is it also possible that the record of your ECU being patched is incorrect?

Well, I'm not really sure what's happening. One of the tech guys said the ECU update was done in December. The main tech guy says it wasn't because they wouldn't have done that specific flash without a diagnosis first.

And they won't actually do anything for me right now. They want to drive the car around for X amount of miles until the problem shows itself again. I'm not sure I'm cool with that so I am calling around for second opinions.

Last edited:

gobyfish

One would think a decent service writer would “reflash” just to make sure the flash was done in the first place.

Are you also having issue with the gear indicator being off in the 3/4 gear zone? Or, are you getting the stumble at ~3400rpm?

For the record, VW still shows my 24FD open, and I know I got it done.

Not sure about the gear indicator being off because I never look at it.

RPM stumble...haven't really noticed that either. I have noticed that when I am at a light, put the car in neutral, and then take my foot off the clutch, I get a small little burp out of it. Just a tiny RPM surge when I remove my foot.

Other than that and the stalls, the car is a beast and I'm just crazy about it.

gobyfish

Appreciate that. I just called the tech guys to see if they can just do a default factory ECU reset and I'm waiting on a call back. I'd much rather have that done and get the car back, than have them driving my car around until the problem replicates.

Will see what they say and keep y'all updated.

Oh and yes I'll do the NHTSA report...thanks for the reminder.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
The issue still persist for my DSG GTI. I stalled 4 times today. I contacted VW of America Customer Service and filed a complaint and was given as case number for it. And within two days of my filing I stall 4x in one day. Three times in traffic coming to a stop, and once again at the stop sign entering my neighborhood. What pisses me off is its doesn't throw a code and the dealer couldn't reproduce on a test drive when I last brought it in. The dealer is almost 2hrs. round trip drive from my house. It not a convenient issue to chase and as a DD, I'm losing my patience quickly. Wonder if VW would be patient if I held off on my payments until they come up with a resolution for it?