GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Picking a wheel that will clear the brakes ('19 GTI)

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
So this is something Ive never had to consider before on a car. But I have been checking this site below while trying to shop for wheels:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=45&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=8&offset2=45
Basically I am looking for a 17x7.5 or 17x8 wheel that I can use with all seasons in the winter months while keeping my SE wheels for use with summer tires (our winters arent that bad here to warrant winter tires and if it is REALLY bad my company puts us up in hotels so I generally wont need to worry about driving in ice or snow anyways).

Some wheel sizes that I look at on that site say "Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 2.3mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 10.4mm more than before.

Would that wheel clear the R brakes on the '19 GTIs? In that example I was looking at a Konig wheel ( I dont want to spend more than $200-$250 a wheel) in 17"x8". Or are there other factors I need to look at? Am I doing this wrong and need to look at using the SE wheels for winter and looking at another wider 18" wheel for summer rubber? I liked the idea of going down a size because all the potholes pop out around here in the winter. I guess I should add that I dont want to run spacers.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So this is something Ive never had to consider before on a car. But I have been checking this site below while trying to shop for wheels:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=45&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=8&offset2=45
Basically I am looking for a 17x7.5 or 17x8 wheel that I can use with all seasons in the winter months while keeping my SE wheels for use with summer tires (our winters arent that bad here to warrant winter tires and if it is REALLY bad my company puts us up in hotels so I generally wont need to worry about driving in ice or snow anyways).

Some wheel sizes that I look at on that site say "Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 2.3mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 10.4mm more than before.

Would that wheel clear the R brakes on the '19 GTIs? In that example I was looking at a Konig wheel ( I dont want to spend more than $200-$250 a wheel) in 17"x8". Or are there other factors I need to look at? Am I doing this wrong and need to look at using the SE wheels for winter and looking at another wider 18" wheel for summer rubber? I liked the idea of going down a size because all the potholes pop out around here in the winter. I guess I should add that I dont want to run spacers.

There's thread about this. But I will tell you that I got Motegi MR131 wheels but had to use 10mm spacers to clear the calipers and I'm glad because the spacers align the wheel with the fender.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Konig Runlites in 17 x 7.5 fit over PP brakes.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I would use your ugly stock wheels for the winter tires, because they are less suceptible to pothole damage. That way you can buy nice looking wheels for 3 season use.
The primary reason i shopped for a Rabbit was because of the wheels on the SE. I really like the Austins but the Dallas? Blechhh!

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
There's thread about this. But I will tell you that I got Motegi MR131 wheels but had to use 10mm spacers to clear the calipers and I'm glad because the spacers align the wheel with the fender.
Which thread was it? Ive looked at a few and have an idea of what wheels I like but generally people are just posting pics and not saying if they are using spacers or not, etc.. But I'd like to stay away from spacers and have a hubcentric wheel also. But I am willing to get hub rings because I doubt ill get what I want unless I compromise a little.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I would use your ugly stock wheels for the winter tires, because they are less suceptible to pothole damage. That way you can buy nice looking wheels for 3 season use.
The primary reason i shopped for a Rabbit was because of the wheels on the SE. I really like the Austins but the Dallas? Blechhh!

That stung a little. lol kidding.. but I do like how the Dallas wheels look and I dont need two sets of wheels in 18" when 1. the tires cost more in 18 vs 17 sizes and 2. the larger sidewall on the 17s would help with absorbing / rolling over the ridiculous potholes around here in the winter.

Two years ago I had two sets of wheels for the car I was driving (my first Fiesta ST) and kept the all seasons on there from November to April. So for almost half the year. The temps do get a little low around here and I do a LOT of driving at night when it is colder. You dont want to run summer tires below 40 degrees.

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Fast Wheels have the FC04 and Switch models in 17” size that clear the PP calipers. I have the latter for my winter wheels.
13358699-760C-4508-AF69-04F28D9E86DE.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Those look pretty good. Holy hell theyre cheap.

I was also looking at their Rennform wheels in 17x8 as well as Enkei Kojin.

They held up fine to 2 years of autocrossing and are now my daily wheels.
20200202_172836.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Make sure that you have new brake pads installed when you fit the new wheels. I found that out the hard way.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
For fitment. Worn brake pads don't push the caliper out as far as new ones. In other words, your new wheels may fit until you put new pads on.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not sure I really understand the point of swapping pads every time I swap wheels.

When I got my Motegi wheels they cleared the calipers in the front. When I then needed new brake pads it pushes the caliper further out and wouldn't clear the caliper. That's how I eneded up with spacers but like I said I'm glad that I got the spacers because of how the wheel is now even with the fender. Looks much better.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The Runlites fit with new pads.