GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another failed thrust bearing victim :(

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
He's not correct but he is not wrong. I think what he was trying to get at is how the is20 delivers hp and tq is comparison to the is38. The is20 delivers more torque than it does power while the is38 delivers more power than torque. If you have an is20, if you want to get to 330 whp you'll be at almost 400 wtq. If you have an is38 and want 330 whp, you'll be pushing right around 320 wtq. With that in mind, you do in fact push the car harder with an is38 but you're pushing a lower amount of torque.

On my dyno print out when my car is hitting 330 WHP it's producing 401 WTQ. That's at 3200 RPM. That's with the IS38 so your theory is incorrect.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
On my dyno print out when my car is hitting 330 WHP it's producing 401 WTQ. That's at 3200 RPM. That's with the IS38 so your theory is incorrect.

very odd numbers coming from an is38.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
How not? Have you not seen is38 Dyno graphs?
Are you boosting 32 psi at 3000 and it drops to 14 psi by redline?

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Every dyno graph I look at always has is38 at slightly higher peak torque as compared to stage 2 is20, so I'm not sure. But then again I'm only looking at dyno graphs from canned tuning companies. But the numbers always seem close enough, regardless.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How not? Have you not seen is38 Dyno graphs?
Are you boosting 32 psi at 3000 and it drops to 14 psi by redline?
I read my dyno printout wrong. My IS20 produced slightly higher torque numbers below 3000 RPM. At 3250 RPM the IS20 and the IS38 are equal and then the IS38 is much higher the rest of the RPM range.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know if crankwalk damages the clutch, flywheel, or pressure plate at all? I'm curious if I can reuse them or not. Or if it's even a good idea at all.

It will not effect the clutch. I personally know of a DKM stage 3 car that suffered crank walk. The dealership re installed his clutch with the new engine

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
It will not effect the clutch. I personally know of a DKM stage 3 car that suffered crank walk. The dealership re installed his clutch with the new engine
Thanks good to know (y)

Does anyone know how much pressure the DKM stage 2 and DKM stage 3 twin disc pressure plates provide?
I'm trying to put the lightest pressure possible on the crank that will still reliably hold is38 torque.
Isn't the twin disc pressure plate supposed to be relatively light, considering all the extra surface area from the two clutch discs?
So far I'm thinking southbend stage 2 daily or BFI stage 2 should have a lighter pressure plate than the DKM stage 2, i think?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I've made over 430wtq on both IS20s and IS38s.

IS38 will make more when tuned the same, but a high TQ tune on either turbo is a negligible difference in stress on the clutch.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
What setup were you running where you were making 430wtq?

A few of them lol

IS20, FBO, stock fuel system on E50 (self tuned). Made 427wtq

IS38 FBO w/ HPFP on E50 (Cobb/Stratified) Made 434wtq

Vortex XL w/ MPI and E85 (Self tuned) Limiting the TQ to 420ish because stock motor, capable of a lot more.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
People put way too much thought into the clutch options for this car.

Crank walk is caused by improperly installed thrust bearings, not the clutch. I have been running my dkm MS twin disk for over 37,000 of my total 86,000 miles with zero issues.

I don’t think any clutch manufacturers even post pressure plate ratings for these cars. Diesel trucks and other popular platforms yes, but I’ve never noticed them posted for MQB

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
People put way too much thought into the clutch options for this car.

Crank walk is caused by improperly installed thrust bearings, not the clutch. I have been running my dkm MS twin disk for over 37,000 of my total 86,000 miles with zero issues.

I don’t think any clutch manufacturers even post pressure plate ratings for these cars. Diesel trucks and other popular platforms yes, but I’ve never noticed them posted for MQB

BFI posts their pressure plate ratings. They use a 2500 lb pressure plate for stage 2 and 3. How do you like the twin disc? Do you happen to know the rating of that pressure plate?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
BFI posts their pressure plate ratings. They use a 2500 lb pressure plate for stage 2 and 3. How do you like the twin disc? Do you happen to know the rating of that pressure plate?

I love it, zero issues on my daily commute and it takes track abuse like a champ.

No clue on the pressure plate rating, but just an FYI

-BFI clutch kits are built by Clutch Masters

-DKM is actually Competition Clutch (same address, phone number, ect).

You can look up specs and info easier going straight to the source if you feel the need, however I’d recommend sticking with what you’ve got unless it’s notably worn or otherwise having issues. A clutch is a wear item and worth peanuts used. You might as well get your moneys worth out of it as which clutch you’re running won’t effect the probability of crank walk happening again (IMO of course)

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
You might as well get your moneys worth out of it as which clutch you’re running won’t effect the probability of crank walk happening again (IMO of course)
How sure are you of that? So you're saying my clutch probably isn't ruined and my DKM pressure plate isn't increasing my risk of crankwalking again?