GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden Perfume Smell

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Why not drive the car for a while and see if the smell goes away? Most smells will do just that....

Go pay $29,000 for a new car, drive it for three weeks, and then get smacked in the face with a Hobby Lobby potpourri aisle in a parking lot with no logical explanation.

Then, go to the dealer, call VW as instructed, and get in a loop of the stupidest nonsense you've ever heard. Then, be told incorrect information repeatedly as they throw a the dealer under the bus.

Now go drive your "new" car until the smell goes away because, you know... Reasons.

If that happened to you, I can almost promise you wouldn't be as cool as I've been about it; saving your griping for the net instead of laying it on the people involved. You'd probably be screaming on the phone instead of laughing like I've been this entire time.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Go pay $29,000 for a new car, drive it for three weeks, and then get smacked in the face with a Hobby Lobby potpourri aisle in a parking lot with no logical explanation.

Then, go to the dealer, call VW as instructed, and get in a loop of the stupidest nonsense you've ever heard. Then, be told incorrect information repeatedly as they throw a the dealer under the bus.

Now go drive your "new" car until the smell goes away because, you know... Reasons.

If that happened to you, I can almost promise you wouldn't be as cool as I've been about it; saving your griping for the net instead of laying it on the people involved. You'd probably be screaming on the phone instead of laughing like I've been this entire time.

"Because, you know... Reasons"? I just gave you a reason, because most smells, good or bad go away with time. That's the reason

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
This has evolved from a post to a book.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
You seem to have this big issue with vw when they in fact backup what the dealer just told you, as in the smell isn't there anymore. If my car got a random smell that wasn't a typical automotive smell i wouldn't have any issue with VW or the dealer because it would be my fault, not theirs

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
You seem to have this big issue with vw when they in fact backup what the dealer just told you, as in the smell isn't there anymore. If my car got a random smell that wasn't a typical automotive smell i wouldn't have any issue with VW or the dealer because it would be my fault, not theirs

No, they didn't. Read it again. There's certainly plenty of material.

What happens today isn't the same as what happens yesterday. I'm a super nice guy, and it takes a hell of a lot to push me this far.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I did

Unfortunately

Well, clearly you have a comprehension problem. It was all written in plenty of different ways for everyone to understand.

A VW representative made those guys out to be liars, fast-talked me with nonsense, threw them under the bus, and then broke the law in regard to transparency.

That's where all this came from. The rest of the thread was based on inaccurate reports from VW. I'm siding with the dealership on this one.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Unless this actually becomes a warranty issue what does VW corporate have to do with this anyway?

A smell introduced after purchase is the owner's issue. VW is in the exact same position as the dealer, they have no responsibility here either. VW saying other cars have developed odors is not an admission of responsibility on their part. Those could all be one off situations completely different from this one.

I think we all should -pray- the smell is gone so this can be put to bed.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Unless this actually becomes a warranty issue what does VW corporate have to do with this anyway?

A smell introduced after purchase is the owner's issue. VW is in the exact same position as the dealer, they have no responsibility here either. VW saying other cars have developed odors is not an admission of responsibility on their part. Those could all be one off situations completely different from this one.

I think we all should -pray- the smell is gone so this can be put to bed.

If some people would read more than an inch an hour this thread wouldn't be so long. I keep having to say the same thing, again and again.

At no point did I request warranty service. It was understood that I was willing to pay. I called because I was told to.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I agree, an exorcism is in order.

Yeah, an exorcism of people who can't be bothered to read something.

I keep typing the same thing... Again, again, again, and again. If those were tech questions they were posting, fifteen people would have told them to search by now.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
If some people would read more than an inch an hour this thread wouldn't be so long. I keep having to say the same thing, again and again.

At no point did I request warranty service. It was understood that I was willing to pay. I called because I was told to.
Who told you to call the dealer? Most people would never even consider the dealer for a random smell in their car. That's what everyone here is so confused about. A smell in your car that's not caused by the engine or fluids has nothing to do with VW or the dealership at all in any way so it makes zero sense to make the dealer responsible for finding it. Part out the car and start from scratch with a toyota. Change your cabin air filter and move on with your life, theres more important things to worry about