GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
So, then, IF the gutter has evidence of some sort of escaping vapor or liquid, what needs to be done? The "O" ring, the cap, or?

I don't know for sure, but I think the seal isn't the issue. There's a pressure rated valve in the cap. That is what coolant escapes thru. This valve bypasses the seal. Again....speculation.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
So probably best to replace both the cap and the o-ring if you don't want to deal with a dealer visit.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
So probably best to replace both the cap and the o-ring if you don't want to deal with a dealer visit.

The o-ring comes with the cap already installed. It would probably be wise to verify that the cap is failing with the pressure test specified in the Factory Repair Manual excerpt I posted, so you aren't just throwing parts at it blindly.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
So...been away for a while and not sure if this has been answered...

What's the cost to fix the water pump/thermostat housing issue if you're out of warranty? Curious, since I'm sure mine will need it at some point (have to top off fluid fairly regularly).

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Yeah I'll check with some of the local FB group guys who do side work. I don't think I could do it myself.
Yeah, I watched the DIY and it's pretty involved. Not something I'd personally want to tackle for my first time alone, never mind I don't have the time with my 3 year old in the mix. Thankfully I still have 2/20k of warranty left.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I wrench at night when people are asleep. No distractions. Also, you should be used to the lack of sleep with a 3 year old ;)
Hahah he actually sleeps pretty well and always has. Extremely fortunate in that regard, though we have been battling some pretty high fevers/sicknesses that have been coming and going since October. Kids are germ bags.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Hahah he actually sleeps pretty well and always has. Extremely fortunate in that regard, though we have been battling some pretty high fevers/sicknesses that have been coming and going since October. Kids are germ bags.
It doesn't get better for at least a few more years. Snot-nosed little turds. ?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah I'll check with some of the local FB group guys who do side work. I don't think I could do it myself.

Contact the good doctor when you need to. He's been booked up pretty consistently, so there is a wait time at this point haha.

Edit: If you don't know who that is, just search the ATL MK7 group and you'll find him, or PM me.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
It doesn't get better for at least a few more years. Snot-nosed little turds. ?
Yeah for real. I've heard. He popped a 103.4º fever last night at 11:30 out of absolutely nowhere and with no other symptoms whatsoever, he was his normal self until we put him to sleep at 8, and now has been running a low grade fever all day, still without any other symptoms.

They're almost as much a mystery as our coolant loss...