GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover install price?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well for now, I highly doubt these will sell and I don't drive my car a lot. It's a 17 with 13k miles on it.
I'm guessing in the next 5-6k miles I can afford something better so i'll just do that when the time comes.
Who knows, maybe these will last longer than expected?

If that’s the plan reuse your OEM mounts, the 034 can be used as a paperweight or door stop if they can’t be returned or resold.

If I was 17 and had a mk7 I’d be doing the exact same thing so no shame in running your Raceland. That just doubles down on my advice for learning to do it yourself as that skill set will help you for the rest of your life and owning tools is important.

I have no clue where you live, but as others said people do suspension installations on the side all the time (myself included. I’m an aircraft mechanic & charge $250).

At the very least going that route you could learn from watching them do it and then diy next time.

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
not sure what you guys are carrying on about, I've had the 034 Camber plates on my car for almost 2 years and have never needed to re-tighten them. Maybe its different for the 034 shock mounts but to say 034 stuff isn't good quality is simply ridiculous, as they were one of the first in the business to supply aftermarket parts to the vag community.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
not sure what you guys are carrying on about, I've had the 034 Camber plates on my car for almost 2 years and have never needed to re-tighten them. Maybe its different for the 034 shock mounts but to say 034 stuff isn't good quality is simply ridiculous, as they were one of the first in the business to supply aftermarket parts to the vag community.
This. I didn't want to argue on here but I didn't understand the hate for 034. I've only heard great things about them.
Their strut mounts have great reviews and seemed like the obvious choice because i've read that OEM mounts tend to make noise with aftermarket coils. I've read that their swaybar and end links is the BEST option out there for swaybars for the mk7.
I'm still convinced on that one and will be at one point def. buying that.
I tried to look up what these guys are talking about and can't find anything.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This. I didn't want to argue on here but I didn't understand the hate for 034. I've only heard great things about them.
Their strut mounts have great reviews and seemed like the obvious choice because i've read that OEM mounts tend to make noise with aftermarket coils. I've read that their swaybar and end links is the BEST option out there for swaybars for the mk7.
I'm still convinced on that one and will be at one point def. buying that.
I tried to look up what these guys are talking about and can't find anything.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/034-strut-mounts-not-impressed.349622/
There’s literally tons of threads out there about 034 failures for parts across their whole line up. My phones acting up, but out of the dozens of cars I’ve lowered on OEM mounts regardless of which brand coilovers were used none of them ever made noise.

You want the best, here you go. (Speaking from decades of Volkswagen experience and 4+ years owning mk7 as well as running a side business dedicated to mk7 performance).

Suspension mounts = OEM

Endlinks= Moog

Engine and transmission = BFI

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I'll throw up real world experience and wisdom. If it sticks to someone, then they've benefited.

1) Shop labor will vary by geography and economy. In Central TX, we're at $160-190/hr right now. Smaller shops with less overhead can and do charge less, but this is the real-world range for a quality shop that does Euros and has the proper tools and training to work on them.

2) Even it it's low at $130/hr in your area, the book time for struts and springs on our cars is around 4.5-6hrs, depending on the method employed.

That's 6 x 130 + the cost of a proper 4-wheel alignment after ($100 minimum in most areas for a Euro). You're already at $880 on labor alone. And this is IF you find a shop foolish enough to accept a customer's Chinese e-bay parts.

3) All Coilovers will require at least 1 height adjustment. You're essentially "guessing" the first time you put them on.

You take your before measurements of the car at all 4 corners with a metric tape measurer, write them down.

Re-take measurements after the coiler install, including some time to roll the car around and let the new springs "settle" to their initial position. Write those down.

If the car is drivable, it'll need some miles on it for the coils to fully compress to their final resting height. Take measurements again.

4) If there are any "close" clearance issues between the tire(s) and fender; if the roads are extra crappy where you live; if you and your passengers are frequent eaters at Whataburger and weigh over 220lbs each...all of this will factor into the need to make a height adjustment of the Coilovers.

Now you're beginning to see why labor is what it is. You're not working on a mid-90s Honda Civic or Chevy truck where a strut can be removed in under 20 minutes. And you have to pay for quality work with a warranty,

5) Now back to what everyone else is telling you:

Raceland Coilovers and their competing Chinese lines have almost zero quality control or testing behind their products.

They are not DOT approved for use on public roads. This is all clearly stated in your half English, half Chinese instructions they provided you.

I have repaired and replaced MANY failed components on their kits before. I always tell customers the same: start saving for an actual quality suspension kit, because this one is going to continue giving you headaches.

6) What is your rationale for buying the 034 strut mounts? Have you researched these at all? Did someone convince you to purchase them?

I ask #6 because these have a well-documented reputation, going back 4-5 years, of customers complaining about clunks, noises, harshness etc after installing these mounts.

Most owners with these mounts removed them to go back with stock components, which do an exceptional job at keeping the strut and tires where they belong, without kidney punching the driver and occupants like a Mike Tyson comeback fight.

Let me know if any of this helps clarify.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
And OP (as well as onlookers)...if you're new to the community, at least 90% of what GTI Jake says is bang-on accurate, from many years of experience, testing, and research (just like myself).

The man speaks in truth and deals in tough love.

You can save a lot of time and headache if you listen to the elders...

Love you, Jake!

#nohomo 😎❤️✌️🍻

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
And OP (as well as onlookers)...if you're new to the community, at least 90% of what GTI Jake says is bang-on accurate, from many years of experience, testing, and research (just like myself).

The man speaks in truth and deals in tough love.

You can save a lot of time and headache if you listen to the elders...

Love you, Jake!

#nohomo 😎❤️✌️🍻

Nobody bats 1000, but I do my best to save the masses from wasting time & money 🍻

The last few years I’ve started putting more of this out there on YouTube since not everyone used the forums.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Installing coilovers is simply a PITA unless you have done it before or mechanically-inclined (and even then it can be a beast). Install price is dictated by location. No way are you finding a reputable shop to do it for $300 if labor rates are $150/hr etc. It's multiple hours worth of work just to get them installed, then all the time monkey-ing around fine-tuning ride height on coils. Now, there are some guys who can do this whole thing in < 2 hrs but that is absolutely NOT the norm...especially if you are working on jack-stands. This job could easily take a novice an entire weekend (ask me how I know from the first time I went through it). Even the rears can be a total PITA if you have never done it before / don't have the right tools etc. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself what your time is worth and go from there.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have until just recently used shops to install coilovers. If you go to a qualified and experienced VW/Audi shop they will quote you a flat rate not an hourly. Last time I had coilovers installed the cost was 400 and that was in Southern California, Orange County 2021.

The next 2 times I decided to do it myself. I am no mechanic but I know which end of the ratchet to hold. Watched a couple of Youtube vids just to familiarize myself with the tools and the process and it all went fine. I took my time and did it over a weekend . I am in the process of doing it again, and it is even easier the second time. This is a good project even for a first timer. Its just not that hard. I am a really old guy, if I can do it anybody can, An impact gun greatly speeds the process (not to be used on the shock tube top bolts).

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Installing coilovers is simply a PITA unless you have done it before or mechanically-inclined (and even then it can be a beast). Install price is dictated by location. No way are you finding a reputable shop to do it for $300 if labor rates are $150/hr etc. It's multiple hours worth of work just to get them installed, then all the time monkey-ing around fine-tuning ride height on coils. Now, there are some guys who can do this whole thing in < 2 hrs but that is absolutely NOT the norm...especially if you are working on jack-stands. This job could easily take a novice an entire weekend (ask me how I know from the first time I went through it). Even the rears can be a total PITA if you have never done it before / don't have the right tools etc. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself what your time is worth and go from there.
Truth by the f***ing godfather of helpful suspension write ups on our board.

Love you, Hammer! ❤️🙌🍻

(Seriously, you’re awesome. And your write ups have been zen for me in my research phases)

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Truth by the f***ing godfather of helpful suspension write ups on our board.

Love you, Hammer! ❤️🙌🍻

(Seriously, you’re awesome. And your write ups have been zen for me in my research phases)
Ah shucks…well glad whatever I’ve done has helped. I went way way way too deep down the suspension rabbit hole, that’s for sure!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Just went through this. Went to my local A2B shop and paid around $1150 total. This included alignment, headlight tweak and my follow-up visit for additional adjustment (haven't gone yet, waiting 1 more week for that). Granted, I live in Northern Jersey in areas where property taxes go for around 9-12k, lol.