GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

J.D Power's Reliability Survey

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
It seems hard to believe, but J.D. Power has ranked Volkswagen 6th in its new car/12-month reliability rankings among a field of 32 brands.

The devil's in the details, of course, and the linked article isn't specific enough regarding individual cars/models, etc., to know what or where the supposed flaws are in any given vehicle. For example, I know that Honda's reliability problems these days are tied to the brand's infotainment/ audio/phone systems in all the cars, and the 1.5L turbo motor in the CR-V (but not the Accord; go figure). But the real surprise from my perspective is V-Dub's ranking -- 115 issues per 100 cars (exceptionally good, in other words). That's -- ahem -- remarkable to say the least. It's also at odds with several years of Consumer's Report's owner surveys. (These days VW are almost always at the bottom of CR owners' surveys, and Subarus are at the top. J.D. Power reverses them.) And it seems almost incredible that you'd tell someone: "You want a really great car? Get a Buick!

So, as I said initially, the devil's in the details, and we don't know what they are.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...e-dependability-study-trucks-suvs/4722896002/

The most dependable brands (problems per 100 vehicles):
Genesis (80)
Lexus (100)
Buick (103)
Porsche (104)
Toyota (113)
Volkswagen (116)
Lincoln (119)
BMW (123)
Chevrolet (123)
Ford (126)
Mazda (130)
Cadillac (131)
Hyundai (132)
Kia (132)
Audi (136)
Nissan (136)
Acura (139)
Honda (139)
Ram (140)
Mitsubishi (146)
Mini (147)
Mercedes-Benz (152)
Subaru (154)
Infiniti (155)
Dodge (158)
Jeep (159)
Fiat (160)
GMC (162)
Volvo (185)
Jaguar (186)
Chrysler (214)
Land Rover (220)

toMsons

Genesis... Wow! That;s surprising to me at least. And I see Porche, doing it's thing as always as the most reliable sports car brand out there.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I did one of the JD Power new car surveys once and it's very involved and time consuming to do.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
The main problem I've always had with them is that J.D doesn't weight mechanical failures. A crashing head unit is treated with the same severity as a transmission exploding.

That's not to excuse sloppy software development, but there's certainly room for nuance here.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I always throw out those surveys (and I am sure many do) so it’s really meaningless.

I think only folks that are excited about their new cars like a newbie fills those out. I buy a new car every year and those things got old real quick

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The main problem I've always had with them is that J.D doesn't weight mechanical failures. A crashing head unit is treated with the same severity as a transmission exploding.

That's not to excuse sloppy software development, but there's certainly room for nuance here.

That's because it's just for problems period. Not the severity of the problems.

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
I always throw out those surveys (and I am sure many do) so it’s really meaningless.

I think only folks that are excited about their new cars like a newbie fills those out. I buy a new car every year and those things got old real quick
I did fill out several surveys, including the J.D. Power. Mostly because of the offers of a random person getting $50k on some, but also because I bought 2 of more or less the same car. Traded my 2015 GTI S 6 speed manual for a 2019 GTI Rabbit 7 speed DSG. They are super time consuming but I felt that the documentation might be helpful to others. I was extremely detailed, down to panels that rattled being fixed with a piece of electrical tape on the clips. Most of them had a dollar in the envelope for your time as well. Check them before tossing.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Those studies are not as authoritative as they are presented.

1: You're only getting responses from people who respond to surveys. That's a smattering of people who own driving gloves and those who think Kenmore is a manufacturer of appliances. You'll get the odd man out, like me; someone who is fair, but overly detailed and just likes filling out things like that. Otherwise, it's the guy who bought a Land Rover thinking it was a Toyota that should ride like a Cadillac, "perpetual activists", and people who have no idea how a car works.

2: As noted, the problems aren't weighted; and that matters. Those little wind noise complaints in proper SUVs matter; and when combined with the knowledge of who's actually filling these out... You've got a number that's made of ratings by people to whom you simply would not listen in reality, based on issues that may or may not even be issues at all.

Look, if I were to fill out a survey regarding the MK7.5 Golf... The result could potentially look terrible for the vehicle, and it wouldn't be fair at all. It's dangerous in heavy winds, unpredictable at the limit, it's loud, idles like a diesel, doesn't do what you tell it to do... The side mirrors are too small, the climate control rings feel cheap, piano black is stupid on a dash, big brother is watching you... It's an outstanding way to be denied your wishes and exposed to increased risk in daily life.

Is that all there is to it, though? Why haven't I just gone and traded it for something else already?

There's more to the story. Automobiles are about compromise; they all are. Even the Mclaren Senna, Jeep Wrangler, and Bugatti Veyron. The Golf GTI is a good car with some hiccups. The severity of those hiccups is subjective until applied to marketing and how it's interpreted, with an eye on whether or not the actual buyer understands it.

A car like the Golf GTI can easily run into trouble here, because it's got a laundry list of things to complain about, yet an inexplicable charm and overall impression of outstanding quality and performance. I can say the differential sucks, the throttle sucks, the rev hang sucks, the stability sucks... And then I can say it's a really high quality automobile that's worth twice the price of entry.

That last point; the most important, and the point that makes the thing worth buying to begin with pales in comparison with the sheer volume of complaints I'd have, but my complaints aren't important; or at least shouldn't be considered important. Nothing's actually broken, but still... I think the car is "broken", or at least dangerously neutered. Would you agree? Probably not; and if that survey was a "battle royal" debate, I'd be under a dog-pile in a split second for my contentions.

Rightfully so, as well.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

1: You're only getting responses from people who respond to surveys. That's a smattering of people who own driving gloves and those who think Kenmore is a manufacturer of appliances. You'll get the odd man out, like me; someone who is fair, but overly detailed and just likes filling out things like that. Otherwise, it's the guy who bought a Land Rover thinking it was a Toyota that should ride like a Cadillac, "perpetual activists", and people who have no idea how a car works.

2: As noted, the problems aren't weighted; and that matters. Those little wind noise complaints in proper SUVs matter; and when combined with the knowledge of who's actually filling these out... You've got a number that's made of ratings by people to whom you simply would not listen in reality, based on issues that may or may not even be issues at all.

Look, if I were to fill out a survey regarding the MK7.5 Golf... The result could potentially look terrible for the vehicle, and it wouldn't be fair at all. It's dangerous in heavy winds, unpredictable at the limit, it's loud, idles like a diesel, doesn't do what you tell it to do... The side mirrors are too small, the climate control rings feel cheap, piano black is stupid on a dash, big brother is watching you... It's an outstanding way to be denied your wishes and exposed to increased risk in daily life.

Is that all there is to it, though? Why haven't I just gone and traded it for something else already?

There's more to the story. Automobiles are about compromise; they all are. Even the Mclaren Senna, Jeep Wrangler, and Bugatti Veyron. The Golf GTI is a good car with some hiccups. The severity of those hiccups is subjective until applied to marketing and how it's interpreted, with an eye on whether or not the actual buyer understands it.

A car like the Golf GTI can easily run into trouble here, because it's got a laundry list of things to complain about, yet an inexplicable charm and overall impression of outstanding quality and performance. I can say the differential sucks, the throttle sucks, the rev hang sucks, the stability sucks... And then I can say it's a really high quality automobile that's worth twice the price of entry.

That last point; the most important, and the point that makes the thing worth buying to begin with pales in comparison with the sheer volume of complaints I'd have, but my complaints aren't important; or at least shouldn't be considered important. Nothing's actually broken, but still... I think the car is "broken", or at least dangerously neutered. Would you agree? Probably not; and if that survey was a "battle royal" debate, I'd be under a dog-pile in a split second for my contentions.

Rightfully so, as well.
You like to write a lot of words. Quantity certainly isn’t quality in your case.

1) Defend your statement that the survey is not “as authoritative as presented”. Cite your proof and another IQS that is.
“You'll get the odd man out, like me; someone who is fair, but overly detailed and just likes filling out things like thatYou'll get the odd man out, like me; someone who is fair, but overly detailed and just likes filling out things like that?“. Two out of three is normally OK. Not here.
2) “You're only getting responses from people who respond to surveys.” I’m just going to let that speak for itself.
3) “As noted, the problems aren't weighted; and that matters”. So what? That’s not the intent of the survey. Want details? Consumer Reports is for you then. That’s a whole other debate.
4) “Look, if I were to fill out a survey regarding the MK7.5 Golf... The result could potentially look terrible for the vehicle, and it wouldn't be fair at all. It's dangerous in heavy winds, unpredictable at the limit, it's loud, idles like a diesel, doesn't do what you tell it to do... The side mirrors are too small, the climate control rings feel cheap, piano black is stupid on a dash, big brother is watching you... It's an outstanding way to be denied your wishes and exposed to increased risk in daily life.” These are ridiculous conclusions, include fringe conspiracy whack, and basically render all your other writings meaningless.

The balance of your comments are equally unintelligible. I happen to be convinced you are a troll. In any case it’s time to use the ignore function. Good day and goodbye.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Rightfully so, as well.

You mean this
??? ?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
You like to write a lot of words. Quantity certainly isn’t quality in your case.
1) Defend your statement that the survey is not “as authoritative as presented”. Are you accusing them of lying in their results? “You'll get the odd man out, like me; someone who is fair, but overly detailed and just likes filling out things like that?“. Two out of three is normally OK. Not here.
2) “You're only getting responses from people who respond to surveys.” I’m just going to let that speak for itself.
3) “As noted, the problems aren't weighted; and that matters”. So what? That’s not the intent of the survey. Want details? Consumer Reports is for you then. That’s a whole other debate.
4) “Look, if I were to fill out a survey regarding the MK7.5 Golf... The result could potentially look terrible for the vehicle, and it wouldn't be fair at all. It's dangerous in heavy winds, unpredictable at the limit, it's loud, idles like a diesel, doesn't do what you tell it to do... The side mirrors are too small, the climate control rings feel cheap, piano black is stupid on a dash, big brother is watching you... It's an outstanding way to be denied your wishes and exposed to increased risk in daily life.” These are ridiculous conclusions, include fringe conspiracy whack, and basically render all your other writings meaningless.

The balance of your comments are equally unintelligible. I happen to be convinced you are a troll. In any case it’s time to use the ignore function. Good day and goodbye.

Would you happen to be a female customer care representative for VW? I mean... I'm just checking. ?

1: The statement has already been defended, and I didn't say they lied. It's technically your move if you disagree, but I guess you're not going to make one. Oh, well.

2: That is the most important statement you'll ever read in regard to this subject, and perhaps one of the most important concepts a human can learn in life.

3: Failing to weight these issues is a damning failure of the process on the whole, and Consumer Reports has the same issues combined with having been shown to manipulate data several times in the past.

4: Every last one of those statements in regard to the GTI is true; though the climate control knobs are subjective; and that's the whole problem with the survey to begin with.

All you've done is prove my point, in the end. You don't like what I have to say, and yet by adhering to the data in those surveys, you're bowing to the pressure of people just like me.

Last edited: