GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sudden Perfume Smell

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I find this whole thread to be wildly entertaining, but at the same time I feel sorry for you and your troubles. I have only met a very small handful of people in my travels that have had this hypersensitivity to scents, and I can only imagine their pain when they are in public.

I hope they either find the offending item, or are willing to replace the vehicle.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Agree though I think agreeing to take it back and/or trade is a long shot. Good luck though.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
to me your smelling the washer fluid it smells great

According to every tech at that dealer, that's not what it is. I'm not bothering with it personally. They seem to be doing things properly and in a friendly manner so far, and VW did say they were looking into it.

HOWEVER: VW just called me and said the dealer claimed they smelled nothing; when I spent quite some time out there speaking with the guy, who was sitting in it claiming he actually liked the smell, who stuck his head in the engine bay trying to trace it right in front of me, before he (claimed to have) sent those techs to look over the entire car to see if they could find a point of ingress.

I'm hoping the lady on the phone simply misinterpreted their conversation; because if not, this becomes a much bigger issue.

NOPE: I just got a callback, and had the most illogical conversation I've ever encountered. The dealership is lying now. I don't see how it could possibly be in their best interest, but they're lying. The lady with VW didn't understand basic causal links; such as, one can't know if there is a problem unless that problem has been investigated. I say it hasn't been investigated, and she says they've found no factory problem. I say it hasn't been investigated again...

It's a "hole in the bucket" scenario. Then, she said I'd never get the transcript of the recorded call which, so far as I am aware, they are compelled to provide by law.

I started all these conversations laughing and joking and being super patient. It sounded like everyone was on board to help. As evidenced in this thread, I'm open to any solution. I never once requested a warranty claim, because I figured eventually someone would dig up something smelly that got stuck in the engine. I assumed I'd be paying for it, and may have to trade up to get out of the car if it wouldn't go away; losing money in the process. That would be fine. At least I'd be rid of the smell.

Everyone involved changed their stories several times today, and VW told me the only person I was allowed to speak with was this specific lady.

Eventually, I just hung up. Now this becomes a legal issue, I suppose; something as simple as "find the odor, and then we'll see what needs to be done" has become a massive problem. WTF is wrong with the world?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I find this whole thread to be wildly entertaining, but at the same time I feel sorry for you and your troubles. I have only met a very small handful of people in my travels that have had this hypersensitivity to scents, and I can only imagine their pain when they are in public.

I hope they either find the offending item, or are willing to replace the vehicle.

I am indeed hypersensitive, but it's also true that the potency of the odor was verified right in front of me. Yeah, it's terrible in public; especially around here. In the bush, my sense of smell and irritatingly unique eyes give me a distinct advantage; especially at night. It's just a useless hassle in the civilized world; and I happen to be stuck here now. :ROFLMAO:

It really sucks this has happened, because I was starting to become more used to the car's quirks and how to drive around them. Now I want nothing to do with it, as if this is the manner of service I receive from Volkswagen, I should avoid their products.

That said, I'm still willing to find a solution, but nobody's listening to me on their end. They just keep parroting the same nonsense that's entirely illogical. I tried for about half an hour to help her understand where the confusion was, but it was just a broken record on the other end of the line. Turns out, buying this GTI has been the worst purchase experience I've ever had; and I've bought cars from back alleys in fucking Nairobi.

To sit there and repeatedly tell me I was demanding the dealership take the whole car apart, and that I was demanding it be done under warranty... That conversation NEVER happened. I was told to call VW to see if there were other cars with the issue to make sure I wasn't going to "PAY MORE THAN I NEEDED TO" for diagnosis. I did not tell anyone I was trying to get anything done for free.

Obviously the assumption must be that something got stuck in the engine. What kind of asshole to they think I am? I'm not going to demand they pay for that. I want it fixed, or I'd want to trade out if it didn't go away, but I'd never demand any money from them unless it was found to be a production issue or something the other dealer left in the car.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
why not try and find it yourself? Yes it would be nice if the dealer just said "fixed" but it doesn't seem to be likely. I'd start with fluids (washer/anti-freeze/etc) then cabin air filter, under hood, etc. Effort that you shouldn't have to do but alternative won't be any easier/cheaper.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
why not try and find it yourself? Yes it would be nice if the dealer just said "fixed" but it doesn't seem to be likely. I'd start with fluids (washer/anti-freeze/etc) then cabin air filter, under hood, etc. Effort that you shouldn't have to do but alternative won't be any easier/cheaper.

It went beyond that the second these phone calls happened. They stepped over a line.

I'm still recovering from severe injuries. I can't be tracing this crap, and I was willing to pay for it if it turned out to be something I just ran over.

Too late. I may call the selling dealer and see if they'll just... Buy the damned car back at a loss on my end. Whatever. I don't care, at this point.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
All we have here is your version. Not implying there’s no issue but you seem like an extremely difficult customer to deal with.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
All we have here is your version. Not implying there’s no issue but you seem like an extremely difficult customer to deal with.

True, you only have one side.

I'm actually a great customer, though. I'll overlook quite a few issues, I'm friendly, I'll take a hit without complaint... What more can someone ask for? I don't go hanging all over dealerships when something goes wrong; I take a car there, and if I have to pay I have to pay. It's all written down in the terms, and I'll never go against a solid piece of paper. Anyone else smelling this would have been flipping out at this point, but I'm just going to get some legal backup to find the best course of action.

I'm even willing to lose money trading it in, because I'm not convinced it is actually a defect. All I wanted was someone to look at it, but they just clammed up and started lying. To be fair, it's known that this dealership is a bit... not good, but still; how does this work in their favor? I was willing to pay for the service if it was determined something got stuck in there, but they specifically stated nothing got stuck. The only reason I called VW is because I was told to. Didn't really see the point, but whatever. I do what I'm told, and I communicated what I was told to communicate.

People love dealing with me. I'm just stuck with either liars or someone who doesn't listen; and a smelly car. I don't see how this is in anyone's best interest.

I do type a lot; but that's because I'm stuck without much to do, and I'm in webernet stuff for money, at the moment. My words may seem cold, but that's the only way I can type.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
plz say gored by elephant. ;)

sorry, hope the situation improves

Jim

Well, that was a possibility, but the last one to chase me down was defeated by a prospecting trench. I'd just read a book that said elephants can't jump, too... Thank the powers for that. :ROFLMAO:

I don't know if it's true or not, but it worked. That was all I had up my sleeve, and I was out of energy from zig zagging.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
wtty is from VW not the selling dealer (assume you know). That being said this is a bizzaro one and I wouldn't want to be the tech for this one.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
wtty is from VW not the selling dealer (assume you know). That being said this is a bizzaro one and I wouldn't want to be the tech for this one.

Yeah, I know. The dealer claimed I was demanding warranty service. I can't and wouldn't demand warranty service, because the issue hasn't been found... They say they have investigated, and yet they also say they haven't. Whatever.

There's someone out there that won't care, so trading is a possibility. The service adviser said he liked the smell, actually.

I've just called the selling dealer to see if trading out of it is financially tolerable. They're running some numbers now. I'd rather lose a few thousand trading for an R than lose a few thousand plus a few months to a lawyer. I like lawyers, but it's the time thing, and a bit of propriety. Not everyone involved is at fault for anything improper, and I'd rather avoid a bunch of people who were just going about their business being wrapped up in nonsense.

Someone lied. I don't know who or why, and to find that out would be a rough experience for everyone. I'm prone to believe VW was operating on falsified information, and if so, they did nothing wrong. They acted appropriately if that was the information they actually received.

If it looks like trading is a possibility, I'll sell my '67 Impala 4DHT to make up the difference. Some Supernatural fan will snap that up in a heartbeat if I under-price it. I'd rather avoid VW right now, but trading for one would be the easiest move, and I actually rather like this community.

Community is a part of the ownership experience, and this is one of the best I've encountered.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm chasing a smell in my car as well, only mine is a bad smell. OP you're lucky you don't have that problem. I left a flavored coffee in the cupholder while at topgolf one day and the smell has not gone away. I've parked the car in the garage with the windows down for weeks on end since I don't drive it in the winter, I've closed up the car and poured 5 pounds of baking soda into cookie sheets and placed them all over the car for days on end, nothing gets rid of it. It's stuck in the leather and cushions and floormats and everything. Didn't even spill it. My next step is to grab a bottle of Ozium and tie the nozzle down, throw it in the car, and run like hell. If that doesn't work, I'll rent an ozone generator for a day or two. I suggest you ask them to do the same.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I'm chasing a smell in my car as well, only mine is a bad smell. OP you're lucky you don't have that problem. I left a flavored coffee in the cupholder while at topgolf one day and the smell has not gone away. I've parked the car in the garage with the windows down for weeks on end since I don't drive it in the winter, I've closed up the car and poured 5 pounds of baking soda into cookie sheets and placed them all over the car for days on end, nothing gets rid of it. It's stuck in the leather and cushions and floormats and everything. Didn't even spill it. My next step is to grab a bottle of Ozium and tie the nozzle down, throw it in the car, and run like hell. If that doesn't work, I'll rent an ozone generator for a day or two. I suggest you ask them to do the same.
Skip the air freshener sprays, they'll just mask the odor. Go right to the ozone generator.

OP should do the same. I genuinely feel for you. I have a freakish sense of smell and I don't blame you at all.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Check for hookers in the trunk