GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
"a manual is not expected to be offered"

That conflicts with what VWoA has stated in the past. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Manual for NAR only? BMW has done stuff like that in the past (E60 M5 comes to mind).

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
First, thanks MIKE PP for the post.

I've said this before, but (IMHO) it's worth repeating: Criticism of the Mk8's appearance reminds me of comments prevalent in 1967 when VW replaced the bug's sloped headlight design with upright, sealed beam units. You'd had thought the world had shifted on its axis. See, for example, https://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/KnowledgeLibrary/exterior/Know-Your-VW-Headlights.

The design change is just not that significant in the scheme of all things Volkswagen. And then there's the fact these cars have always looked like a breadbox anyhow. The forthcoming R certainly looks better than I expected.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Oh I'm sure they will. Along with a non-leaking water pump/tstat housing. They'll definitely sort those issues by MK8, right guys?

*Guy who just replaced his water pump on his Mk6*

Yes, surely they will fix it this time!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Oh I'm sure they will. Along with a non-leaking water pump/tstat housing. They'll definitely sort those issues by MK8, right guys?

After DieselGate, I am fully expecting to see cost cutting evidence all over this thing. We've already seen pics of a prop rod for the hood, replacing the strut. They probably put a gun to the head of every single supplier and made them cut cost, or if they refused, switched to someone cheaper - as they apparently did with the pano roof in the middle of the Mk7 run, and clearly did with the stupid grab handles on the '19 R, which fail at a rate of about 100%.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Although they still appear to be sliding piston calipers.
Be careful what you ask for. My M Coupe sliding, two piston calipers worked so much better than the Brembo six piston fixed calipers on our 135i. I have no problem with sliders if you have good fluid, pads and the car isn't a fat pig.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I'm still mixed on the looks. he lights are the biggest factor I think. The back is fine but the sweeping and stretched look on the front Is a bit off.

I wonder if they'll push out an 8.5 facelift with all the criticism. I think a slight change in the front would be all it needs.

As funky as it looks, the new Rs should be much more fun. If I heard correctly, this is supposed to get something like 330bhp?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Some quick and dirty MS Paint work.

Quick removal of some vinyl.

Possibly more vinyl camouflage removed.

The thing I dislike the most about the MK8 is the odd shape under the headlamps, it definitely looks better with a clean line beneath.