GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tires for GTI MK7

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've had the General GMax RS on my car for a good 15k miles now, they've been great and are even wearing very well. Excellent value for money at near on half the price of Michelin P4S.

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
I live in Michigan and have dedicated winter wheels and tires, but when searching for non-winter tires I wanted a balance of performance driving, wet traction, treadwear and price. After quite a bit of research I ended up with Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 from Tire Rack. I had them on my MK6 and just bought them again for my MK7. I’m impressed by them!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I am in ky and figured I'd attempt the summer only tire this winter. So far the temps haven't been terribly cold yet, so as long as I keep in mind I am on summer only tire they do great. I am running a 235/40r18 indy 500s on stock Austin's. Had them for about 10k miles so far. Super sticky and quiet. Just my .02c......

6Speed7

Car(s)
2015 GTI S
Hey guys, my name is Ben and i am new to this forum. i have a 2018 GTI and i am in the market for new tires.
I was looking at Goodyear Eagle Sport all season, they have many many good reviews plus the price is really good, so wanted to know if anyone here ever used them and can share their input.

Thanks !

Haven't seen anyone suggest Indyhawk 500s
They are summer performance tires with excellent grip, great in wet conditions and good treadwear ratings. I got mine for $400, and they are way nicer than the Pirellis that were stock for 2015.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Falken FK510 if you're looking for a good, everyday sporty driving kind of tire. If you're looking for max performance, Continental ExtremeContact Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Also why aren't you looking on Tire Rack?

Have to agree, dollar for dollar, these are awesome. Especially in the rain/wet. Have even driven in sub 40° weather and they still grip fine.

Only downside is wear. My first set only made it 15k miles. We'll see how the 2nd set do.

Last set, Discount Tire price matched Amazon and saved $20 a tire.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Have to agree, dollar for dollar, these are awesome. Especially in the rain/wet. Have even driven in sub 40° weather and they still grip fine.

Only downside is wear. My first set only made it 15k miles. We'll see how the 2nd set do.

Last set, Discount Tire price matched Amazon and saved $20 a tire.

I think I will be giving the FK510s a go once my GMax RS are worn out in order to see how they compare directly. Might be a while yet though as they seem to be wearing very well indeed.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I think I will be giving the FK510s a go once my GMax RS are worn out in order to see how they compare directly. Might be a while yet though as they seem to be wearing very well indeed.

Funny. That was my original plan to try the GMax RS after the FK510, but decided to stick with the Falkens.

Let us know how they compare when the time comes

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
As I recall, there were/are only 2 summer tires worth buying. Don't cheap out, you're betting your life and the lives of everyone in your car! I looked at Conti's ECS and Michelin PS4S. The PS4S seemed to be better on paper so I bought those. They stick like glue as long as you don't exceed the laws of physics.

As for tread wear, newbies need to realize that all ultra high performance tires are made with a soft rubber. And soft rubber wears much faster than hard rubber. If you bought hipo tires you bought them for performance, so don't expect to get more than 12K miles or so from them if you drive in city, where you're constantly stopping and starting. The fronts wear faster on a FWD car, and still wear faster with AWD. And I don't know about you, but I go with the study I read where once you get down to 4/32" depth your performance drops considerably, especially on wet roads. They only have about 9-1/2 32nds to start, so take that into consideration. You want long treadwear, go look what Gramps is rocking on his SUV.

I'm in the market for tires too and I hope my question might be helpful to the OP as well as myself. I know ultra high performance tires do not wear as well, and might not be as quiet or as smooth riding as a lower performance tire. My question is, if I am not needing extreme grip to keep me from sliding off the road, BUT still want the subjective feel of my ride to feel precise, sharp, with immediate steering response, you know, that riding on rails metaphor,,,,will that be best achieved with ultra high performance tires? My only experience with ultra high performance tires was back in the day with Potenza RE950's loved the way those tires handled but perhaps I could have gotten the the same out of a lower performance tire. They also lasted many miles for me. Too bad they don't make them anymore, and the 970s and 980s don't get the all that great of reviews.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I’ve had Indy 500 on three cars 2017 Alltrack, 2018 GTI and 2012 Mini, you might say I love these tires. Living in Maine we use dedicated setup wheels and tires for winter or summer. We do NOT use all season tires. Mostly Nokians, Michelin Xice, Sumitomo ice edge or Altimax. I prefer studded tires. Don’t buy all seasons for Florida!!!

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
My question is, if I am not needing extreme grip to keep me from sliding off the road, BUT still want the subjective feel of my ride to feel precise, sharp, with immediate steering response, you know, that riding on rails metaphor,,,,will that be best achieved with ultra high performance tires?

Yes, that is exactly what they are designed for. And will be plenty grippy if used within their specified temperature parameters. Like for like summer UHPs will outperform all season UHPs in all conditions unless its cold out.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the market for tires too and I hope my question might be helpful to the OP as well as myself. I know ultra high performance tires do not wear as well, and might not be as quiet or as smooth riding as a lower performance tire. My question is, if I am not needing extreme grip to keep me from sliding off the road, BUT still want the subjective feel of my ride to feel precise, sharp, with immediate steering response, you know, that riding on rails metaphor,,,,will that be best achieved with ultra high performance tires? My only experience with ultra high performance tires was back in the day with Potenza RE950's loved the way those tires handled but perhaps I could have gotten the the same out of a lower performance tire. They also lasted many miles for me. Too bad they don't make them anymore, and the 970s and 980s don't get the all that great of reviews.

You'll want to look at solid carcass construction and a single layer tread compound, as well as a decent amount of bead filler and fully wrapped plies with high turn up; and tread sections with solid bolstering plies. You want something manufactured on fully segmented molds, and a tread compound appropriate for your environment.

Ignore reviews, and look at how they're manufactured. That will tell you everything you need to know.

The General Grabbers on my Rover are more precise than many passenger car and even performance tires, simply because they're built properly.

Here's an example of the data you want to be looking at:

3 Continental ExtremeContact Sport Cutaway-X2.jpg

Look at how the plies wrap under the bead wire and all the way up past the shoulders under the tread section. Instead of filler, they're using an insert to bolster the above bead area. You'll see two little black things on either side of the bottom belt; those are tread section stabilizers, and they've used a number of cap plies to bond everything together up there for rigidity.

This is a tire that won't see a lot of lateral deflection, which in turn will increase steering response. I'm not saying other options aren't out there, this is just the first thing that came to mind, as I know they make the cutaways available easily enough for me to just find one to post.

You want to be looking at this stuff. Everything else can be ignored. Period. All that matters is how the tire is constructed, and whether or not they can keep to their own production standards. Doesn't matter who makes it, who likes it, what's it's fitted to from the factory... That's all irrelevant marketing nonsense and reviews by people who haven't used enough tires to know better.

Find out how they are built, and you will buy the tires you want.