GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Gotta say, I much, much prefer the looks of the Mk7.5 GTI and R compared to this. The Mk8 styling looks more "mini SUV/crossover" than "hot hatch" to me.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I don’t think it’s completely un disguised,
5EBBB480-0918-4F8B-B189-563A42AB4502.jpeg

the circled area appears to have white vinyl covering it, so other areas are likely to be covered too, including the mirror caps,
Going by the picture below there won’t be a body coloured section across the bottom of the bumper either,
144E9781-2013-45E4-A8F2-C4FF5612D8AA.jpeg
apparently it will have a new design of standard fit alloy wheel also!

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I like the shoulder line. I've always thought that the Mk6 profile looks better than the slab sided Mk7, and this returns it. I also don't mind the front. But the back is naff, at least in pics, just looks way too blocky, even for an intentionally blocky car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
View attachment 165207
the circled area appears to have white vinyl covering it, so other areas are likely to be covered too, including the mirror caps,
Going by the picture below there won’t be a body coloured section across the bottom of the bumper either,
View attachment 165208apparently it will have a new design of standard fit alloy wheel also!
Less to wax :) and we already have those wheels with black inserts.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I won't form an opinion until the official reveal in July.

If that really is the Mk8 R, I prefer the 7.5 design.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Meh, don't like the rounded back end(Mazda 3 hatch look)

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
View attachment 165207
View attachment 165208apparently it will have a new design of standard fit alloy wheel also!

The part I hate the most is the white slats giving it a huge mustache, but if the screen shot is right some of that has white vinyl on it too. I wonder how much it'll change it though. I'm in love with the front end on my 7.5R though so I guess I'm gonna be really critical. I feel like the 7/7.5 has the perfect ratio of bumper to grill and I dunno if I like how the mk8 and everybody kinda in general is pushing that ratio more towards the grill.