GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne Updates

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Try logging in M mode from 3,000rpm in 3rd gear going into 4th gear. See if it knocks as bad.

I rarely downshift in D or S (with the kickdown). I usually downshift manually with the paddles in a lower gear and then go WOT.

GolfMk7R1

Try logging in M mode from 3,000rpm in 3rd gear going into 4th gear. See if it knocks as bad.

I rarely downshift in D or S (with the kickdown). I usually downshift manually with the paddles in a lower gear and then go WOT.
Yep I was gonna give that a try tonight. Just don't have my laptop with me :(
I normally do as well, but I don't always drive in M mode and this caught my attention

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Its clean as hell until up top when boost tapers and timing is at wash.

Usually the opposite point in the powerband is when slight knock is dismissed (peak tq, spool)

Having it all up top and nasty like that looks like octane just isn't supporting the timing. It's winter and a lot of stations are running really bad gas right now.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Its clean as hell until up top when boost tapers and timing is at wash.

Usually the opposite point in the powerband is when slight knock is dismissed (peak tq, spool)

Having it all up top and nasty like that looks like octane just isn't supporting the timing. It's winter and a lot of stations are running really bad gas right now.
Yup - the difference between winter and summer gas can be quite shocking. Def have to make adjustments with the timing.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Ok sorry it took me a bit. Had some snow so I couldn't log and had a lot going on this weekend. Here are 3 more logs starting in 3rd and going to redline.

https://datazap.me/u/golfmk7r/2102020-1?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/golfmk7r/2102020-0?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/golfmk7r/2102020?log=0&data=1
Same tank of gas as the last 3 logs from before. Bumped up the octane to 93.
The first log, you went WOT in 3rd gear and back into 3rd gear again? I'm guessing this a manual car. Looks good - nothing alarming IMO.

The 2nd log it pulled a bit of timing and knocked slightly. Maybe it was adjusting.
The 3rd log look good with 0 knock and a steady timing curve.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
So, I keep getting error messages for log viewer. I thought I saw a fix for this to make it work. Any ideas?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Log viewer is so bad. Just use Datazap as an easy solution that you can also share easily. I use Megalogviewer HD personally, but it's not a free app.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
I have a data zap account. Where do I look for the file? As in what is is labeled so I can upload?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I have a data zap account. Where do I look for the file? As in what is is labeled so I can upload?
You take your Excel .cvs file and upload it on Datazap

So go on Datazap, upload datalog and select the file

GolfMk7R1

The first log, you went WOT in 3rd gear and back into 3rd gear again? I'm guessing this a manual car. Looks good - nothing alarming IMO.

The 2nd log it pulled a bit of timing and knocked slightly. Maybe it was adjusting.
The 3rd log look good with 0 knock and a steady timing curve.
Nah that log just has two separate pulls in it.

So there is something about the downshift before the pull that the car doesn't like and it pulls timing. What could that be?
Just the jolt from the downshift and the engine thinks it's knock? I guess I will take the dogbone out and see what it does

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Nah that log just has two separate pulls in it.

So there is something about the downshift before the pull that the car doesn't like and it pulls timing. What could that be?
Just the jolt from the downshift and the engine thinks it's knock? I guess I will take the dogbone out and see what it does
Oh ok. Why not go into 4th gear then if you're doing two seperate pulls in the same log / in the same gear?

I get that you're trying to reproduce the issue. But if you're going to do a pull, might as well do a 3rd to 4th gear pull to see what 4th gear looks like since it has a higher load. The two last logs are only a 3rd gear pull to redline. One has slight timing correction (without the downshift involved), the other doesn't have any timing correction.

I'm guessing you're referring to the 1st log regarding the downshift? -1.3 or even -1.5 is nothing alarming in terms of knock ...