GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Took it on a long drive with the trailer to retrieve a large wine rack...

It looks a bit like a wrapped coffin in there. ;-)

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What brand shift knob is that? Not bad.
Sportshifters.com they are fully customizable also.

for me it’s the best knob on the market for our cars in regards to a full package of quality and fitment and detail... I was ready to pull the trigger on the BFI, and just deal with how the narrow shaft didn’t look right with our cars and especially how the stock boot looks with it , but luckily I came across this. Once I received it I realized how Much thought actually went into the design the boot shaft has a washer design that is even notched to clear the stitched lap joint on the boot to give it a smooth fit also the washer is setup with air gap design so the boot alway stays tight but is swivel after install so your thread stay lined up between the shifter and boot.
F26DF6BF-6526-4E7B-9C5B-4671753D4DD9.jpeg
C3B67D4D-A8AB-4FEA-A5EE-5EF6E7AEC204.jpeg

D095F17A-0FF6-48DF-BAFF-1F63DC0F91CD.jpeg
6AD088BA-5B7C-42BE-894B-73EED5A92E67.jpeg

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
You had better take care of that cut on your finger. :)
Amazing clarity. Was that picture taken with a real camera, or some kind of high falootin' $1200 cell phone?
Just an iPhone 11. Modern phone camera quality is pretty amazing.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
Sportshifters.com they are fully customizable also.

Very cool, thank you. I agree with all your points. I'm going to give them a try. The only thing that bugs me about this knob is that it's not double stitched like the boot, but all of the other points outweigh that minor flaw. I also like that the engraving isn't so in your face or a logo. Very clean. Thanks again!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Did you do the top fill method for DSG fluid change?
Well, funny thing is I intended to do drain/measure/top fill but ended up doing a hybrid.

When I began to top fill, I realized had not put the plug back in because I got distracted by my 3 year old who was in the garage with me while I was under the car, so I lost some fresh fluid back into my drain pan. I quickly realized my mistake, but not quickly enough to know how much fluid I'd actually lost so I just went ahead and put in the whole Pentostin jug, warmed the fluid to 36ºC per OBDEleven, and pulled the main plug again to "properly" level it off using the drain tube. Took longer, but no big deal.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about top fill method "taking forever". It only took about 30 minutes or so to get the whole Pentosin jug into the trans. Ambient air temp was 65ºF here in the Bay Area and the car had been sitting outside until I pulled it into the garage at 230pm.

I used the Hopkins Flo-tool funnel which does truly fit perfectly into the DSG filter hole. I removed the screen in the funnel, though that didn't seem to make a difference in flow speed), but what I found would help speed things along a bit was just squeezing the tube downward, like milking an utter if you've ever seen that done. Doing that would create a bit of a burp in the fluid and it'd go down a hair faster. I think it actually took longer to get the fluid up to temp if I'm honest. Like 35 mins to go from 22ºC where I started to 36ºC.

I'm going to do them every 30k if I end up keeping the car long term (I plan to take it to ~10 years/100k and maybe beyond) because it's not hard and the kit is super cheap from RockAuto.

The only thing I wish I could do is figure a pressurized pump method to go from the 5L Pentosin jug direct to the filter fill hole to speed up the fill and make this job even quicker. Since that kit is so cheap and is also the factory fill, I'd like stick with it. One guy in George AB's DSG DIY thread mentioned putting his the ball inflator needle from a powered tire pump through a penny nail hole in his 1L containers and being able to push it in that way, but he had a direct fit attachment for the 1L bottle mouths.
The Pentosin 5L jug is not a standard lid, it's one of the ones with the small pull out plastic pour spout like Liqui-Moly has on their 5L jugs, and I couldn't remove the main cap from the jug so getting some sort of adapter cap that fits specific to the bottle is likely out of the question. Building one from the current lid I have here is maybe a possibility, but I've gotta get the container sealed up to take it someplace to dump it first.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Very cool, thank you. I agree with all your points. I'm going to give them a try. The only thing that bugs me about this knob is that it's not double stitched like the boot, but all of the other points outweigh that minor flaw. I also like that the engraving isn't so in your face or a logo. Very clean. Thanks again!

welcome, yeah they have lots of engraving options too, and owner said you can request or even Flip it yourself if you don’t want the stitching visible. (Audi owners I guess)