GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another failed thrust bearing victim :(

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
And how many people have ragequit VW after it happened and wouldn't be around to see the poll?
I just want to point out that most of these cars are still relatively new and haven't been on heavy clutches long term.

There are exceptions of course, but many more will fail.
Good points. Yep I guess only time will tell. I was hoping it was a defect and limited to early MY cars, but apparently even '17's are affected.
Sounds like VW is helping you out some on the cost of repair. That's good to hear.
Yep definitely happy about that (y) I was on the edge of my seat waiting for an answer.
Where is this data from? The other survey on the vortex shows 2 failures out of 40 responses. One 2016 GTI and a 2017 Golf R.
2016 GTI engine failed at 36,000 miles using a Sachs with OE DMF
2017 Golf R engine failed at 37,000 miles using a Black Forest Industries Stage 3

The mileage that the failure happened is interesting though pretty close in mileage.
I'm going off what my VW tech friend is telling me and some quick googling. He said he's only seen '15 and '16 failures but it looks like there's still reports of '17 apparently. I thought it was a defect isolated to early MY engines, but looks like this might just be a case of aggressive pressure plates and unlucky engines? I guess there wasn't a defect that has since been fixed or anything?

Interesting point about the mileage though. I was at 66k miles but only about 30k of those were on the DKM clutch. Similar numbers to those other cars, assuming they installed their clutches ASAP.
I really don't understand why so many of you guys who want dragsters don't just buy something with RWD and a big V8. Buying a hot hatch, throwing gobs of money at it to make monster power, voiding the warranty in the process, then spinning your front wheels all day is just a silly exercise in futility.
I didn't want a dragster. I just want my GTI to be more fun than it already is. You won't find a new V8 RWD dragster close to the price of the GTI. Let alone the practicality, etc. GTI does everything I need in a daily driver and throwing a couple grand to get it to Golf R power levels is not monster power.
because the is20 makes more torque down low where it affects the clutch more.
It might make torque sooner or down low, but still not more torque than the IS38 is going to help produce.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
because the is20 makes more torque down low where it affects the clutch more.

600 RPM sooner with the torque isn't going to cause as many problems with the clutch as the IS38 which spools 600 RPM higher but has more overall torque. 600 RPM's takes a fraction of a second to reach.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is the clutch and pressure plate in the R different than the GTI?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
600 RPM sooner with the torque isn't going to cause as many problems with the clutch as the IS38 which spools 600 RPM higher but has more overall torque. 600 RPM's takes a fraction of a second to reach.

it absolutely can make a difference.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
idk, but if it's low in the rpm range 600 rpm is a big % (IE 1500/2100 rpm) where it will take time to spool up. Not confident enough to say with certainty but a bigger turbo on what seems to be a marginally rated clutch would be a real concern for me. I've slipped stock clutch before I learned how it doesn't like heavy acceleration at lower rpms. Once it starts slipping you need to back off the go pedal. I drive commute speeds most of the time and if clutch goes I might look into a slightly stronger set up....TTRS? Not going to worry about it now. I am bone stock power and no need to for me to have more

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
it absolutely can make a difference.

When I had the IS20 installed i hit peak torque of 360 at 3300 RPM. With the IS38 installed at 3300 RPM I'm at 380 torque and hitting maximum torque of 408 at 3900 RPM. Which do you think would be harder on a clutch?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Looking at these two graphs, if you floor it at 2500 in 5th gear, which one would cause clutch slip first?

Attachments

• 9DB0B193-9F1F-4117-87D7-495D0AA25F42.jpeg
    9DB0B193-9F1F-4117-87D7-495D0AA25F42.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 174
  • 29A089BA-06FF-48FC-A4C6-BADE9D3787A8.jpeg
    29A089BA-06FF-48FC-A4C6-BADE9D3787A8.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 170

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Why the hell would anyone floor it in 5th gear at that RPM?

Doesn’t matter. Most people seem to do this.

Same question but in 4th gear then.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Doesn’t matter. Most people seem to do this.

Same question but in 4th gear then.

Same answer. If someone is flooring it at 2500 RPM and they're too stupid to have it in an appropriate gear that's their problem. Of course it depends on the speed that they're going also. What speed would they be going at 2500 RPM in 4th gear?