GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

yayareagti

Passed Driver's Ed
I like ot say thanks to all who contributed to the thread. I just did my swap this weekend. took longer than expected. spend sunday trying to figure out the wastegate. had to adjust, then run the adaptation then check voltage. i was checking voltage without running the adaptations and would range from 1.0v to 2.3 to 2.11.
I think i may have some coolant leak . Saw it this morning on the driveshaft. woops
DSC_0518.JPG

Steenbeek

Passed Driver's Ed
Adjusting the wastegate from above is cool. I almost broke my fingers but it is possible. :D

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wrapped this up today. It took me and a buddy about 6 hours really taking our time. We are both engineers, wanted to make sure we bagged and tagged everything.

One note if anyone wants to save a few dollars. The 8mm tripple square is interchangeable with a t40 bit it just has half the engament points.

Thanks to melted solid and Vigil for the detailed write up.now I just need to dial in my jb4

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
What did y'all do with your IS12's after the swap? Did y'all try and sell them, scrap them, or keep them around just in case?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
What did y'all do with your IS12's after the swap? Did y'all try and sell them, scrap them, or keep them around just in case?
I still have mine sitting in a box. The DV and actuator can be used on the is20, so it is good to keep around for those parts

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yup, mine is sitting in my spare parts storage box in the garage.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Really has little if any value to anyone so figured just keep it - has a perfectly good DV on it that I can use as well as the actuator. Nice to have it on the shelf.

Navi

Autocross Champion
ok guys, need some help... I'm having difficulty pulling this line out. I don't remember how I did it when I went is38. Ideas? Advice? Tech tips? Everything was going smoothly till this. Now I've wasted an hour on it.

Thanks

Navi

Autocross Champion
nice... I got it off. Thanks for the advice. Now I'm having a fun time with the bottom oil outlet line. I know some people say to rotate it for easy access. There doesn't seem to be much play in the line though (I am being gentle because I don't want to break anything lol). Is that the correct way? Rotate it clockwise? CCW? I remember this being a lot easier the first time lol

Navi

Autocross Champion
Yeah I was wondering if I should pull it from the block. I'll wait till tomorrow morning when my friend comes by. He helped me with the is38 the first time. Def need someone to hold the turbo while I mess with shit from below. Thanks for your help. Gonna finish it tomorrow (hopefully) because I have a tuning session with Ed on Thursday with the TPC20 turbo.

Cutting it close. I might not be able to button everything up till Wed bc I have new oil feed and oil outlet lines coming on Wed morning. :oops:

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Pulling that oil line off the block with the GTI is not bad, you have easy access to it. Anyone that is AWD though, pull it off the turbo, its a nightmare to get to