GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on tuning

Figuringitout

Hi Everyone. First post. I am picking up a GTI 16 Autobahn w/PP and DSG/w35k miles next week and was doing a little research before I get it. Looking at some other threads it seems that EQT and stratified are quite the tunes to be using for stage 1 and more? I previously had an MK6 I had to get rid of, I was on a unitronic Stage 2 before I parted ways. COBB was new on the scene then just a couple years ago.

Correct me if I am wrong, but these tunes from stratified and/or EQT are files you can load to the AP after purchase? It looks like the COBB AP is a good foundation to start with if you are starting fresh? Comparing the numbers of the OTS Cobb maps, they don't really compare to the numbers that are seen on stratified's pages or even EQT's. Lets say I went with one or the other's tunes, do you think its worth doing the ECU tune and the DSG right out of the gate? Or should I feel the car out with its stock DSG map for a bit so I can even tell what the difference might be? What are you recommendations in regards to a first tune for a fresh GTI?

This might be the wrong place for this, but my goals soon after purchase are a tune, a reduction of the stock ride height, and some lighter rims with some stickier tires. After searching around the forums, I kept seeing the MSS street kit as a good options for lowering? Any suggestions with that kit or alternatives (just springs)? Obviously with the DCC suspension, I would like to retain the stock feel, just about an inch lower or more. What tires and rims (lighter) would you recommend or using now that you are pleased with?

-Thanks.

Last edited:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The Stock Cobb OTS tunes are considered as "stand-ins" that you just happen to get with the cobb. They tend to run with quite a bit of knock. The real reason you get a cobb access port is for pro tuning, though you can also get OTS tunes from EQT, Strat, etc. I would go straight for a tune from a reputable shop vs running the tunes from cobb directly.

Installing an access port, and the first tune takes quite a bit of time, so also make sure you have a battery charger that can push out enough amps so that your battery doesn't drain during the flash process.

I'd say the best advice is to probably just drive your car for a few thousand miles. You're coming up on the DSG maintenance schedule (and differential), so maybe just get that all done, make sure the car is ok, then start worrying about tuning.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Might be worth the 3ish hour drive for you to go to EQT to get dyno tuned via Cobb AP. Dyno tune is going to be better than an e tune. A lot of the goombas on here will disagree, but both Ed from EQT and Jon from 5150 corroborate my statement.

Figuringitout

Might be worth the 3ish hour drive for you to go to EQT to get dyno tuned via Cobb AP. Dyno tune is going to be better than an e tune. A lot of the goombas on here will disagree, but both Ed from EQT and Jon from 5150 corroborate my statement.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about that too. I don't want to go APR because I don't want to have to KEEP driving that 3 hour drive if I want to change it. You might be right though, I may just wanna dyno tune it at the shop instead of guessing on an e-tune. Have you done a dyno tune before? I am assuming you schedule ahead of time etc, and come with your AP? I see EQT, for example sells the AP's too. They look about the same price with them or from COBB. Assuming it doesn't matter where you get it from.

In regards to the DSG maint and differential, I know the DSG maint is just a fluid flush, I did that on my MK6. I have to get the little tube that hooks up to the DSG and then just look for metal on the fluid that comes out?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about that too. I don't want to go APR because I don't want to have to KEEP driving that 3 hour drive if I want to change it. You might be right though, I may just wanna dyno tune it at the shop instead of guessing on an e-tune. Have you done a dyno tune before? I am assuming you schedule ahead of time etc, and come with your AP? I see EQT, for example sells the AP's too. They look about the same price with them or from COBB. Assuming it doesn't matter where you get it from.

In regards to the DSG maint and differential, I know the DSG maint is just a fluid flush, I did that on my MK6. I have to get the little tube that hooks up to the DSG and then just look for metal on the fluid that comes out?
Yes, I’ve been dyno tuned twice at 5150. You’ll be in great hands with Ed at EQT. You can check their site and contact them if you have any questions. Typically, tuners will give you a little better deal if you purchase an accessport and dyno tune from them.

I have no experience doing a dsg service, I’d rather pay to have it done. I’d assume Ed/EQT could do that for you while you were there.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Integrated Engineering seems to be very good and reputable. They allow you to flash at home as well.

Figuringitout

I called down to EQT and talked with Patrick. Essentially its not recommended to get a dyno tune until I have some bolt ons setup. Once I actually get the car next week, I don't really plan on getting any bolt on's for a couple months. Sounds like I will likely be getting the AP, and then purchasing a base tune from either EQT or Stratified and loading that until I start to install some bolt on's. Once that's complete, a nice trip out to the Bay will be nice to get a dyno tune taken care of.

I was looking at IE, but their tunes seem a little more conservative than I wanted to go. With the AP and all the logging features, it seems to be the better platform going forward along with the re-sell factor once I am done with this car and platform.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I called down to EQT and talked with Patrick. Essentially its not recommended to get a dyno tune until I have some bolt ons setup. Once I actually get the car next week, I don't really plan on getting any bolt on's for a couple months. Sounds like I will likely be getting the AP, and then purchasing a base tune from either EQT or Stratified and loading that until I start to install some bolt on's. Once that's complete, a nice trip out to the Bay will be nice to get a dyno tune taken care of.

I was looking at IE, but their tunes seem a little more conservative than I wanted to go. With the AP and all the logging features, it seems to be the better platform going forward along with the re-sell factor once I am done with this car and platform.

If you're buying the AP, I recommend just starting with EQT... Then grow from there

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Here is a video on the DSG service. It requires a VCDS or OBDeleven (which you should have regardless), and some additional tools to help.

Here is a video of the PP service which is roughly the same schedule.

Figuringitout

Here is a video on the DSG service. It requires a VCDS or OBDeleven (which you should have regardless), and some additional tools to help.

Here is a video of the PP service which is roughly the same schedule.

Thanks for adding these videos! Looks like I'll need to get some of those tools as well.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I agree. If I lived 3 hours from EQT I would definitely get a dyno tune. I'm trying to arrange a remote dyno tune with EQT.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Get the AP and do as you said with either a Stratified or EQT OTS tune until you get the bolt ons. There's other companies who tune via the AP also but I think those two are the best. I would also get the DSG tune. It completely transforms the driving experience.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I've made the drive many times.
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 8.01.22 AM.png

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Nobody does the DSG service by the book. Not your independent shop, not your dealership. It's a waste of time, and being off by an oz of fluid in an entire transmission is irrelevant.

Just dump 4.9qts in it and go. Most shops just do 5qts. You can fill it from the top with a funnel and a hose through the filter hole. Set it up so you don't have to hold it, takes awhile.