GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Performance Issues I'd Like to Correct

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I've been searching around, reading, testing, and collecting bookmarks, and have just ordered a VCDS interface to aid my explorations. Some of the information is scattered about far and wide, and some hasn't really been hashed out in quite some time. Some is really kind of all over the place, and when it's discussed in relation to tuned vehicles, it kind of throws the data out the window for stockers like mine.

Here are the issues I find to be extremely negative:

1: The throttle does not respond accurately or even consistently to my input. This is most noticeable when launching the vehicle from a stand-still, and I'm not talking about drag races, here; only general use and the occasional attempt to move along quickly when a light turns green, such as when people are impatient at certain times of the day. Nothing crazy; though this issue would certainly present itself in a more demanding scenario. This also affects quick blips and down-shifting.

It kind of feels like there's a very weak turbo the size of a trash can lid under the hood that needs to spin up before the car responds; tapping the throttle does nothing. This has been attributed to several different potential features on the web, and I think that's because people are going in with different explanations of the issue and using specific words rather than generalized questions; effectively "priming" the answers.

2: With that issue in mind, it's hard to tell if this next issue is actually causing a problem for me. The vehicle has some manner of feature where if I release the clutch at common "get it rolling lazily" rates, the RPMs will rise and aid the launch. That would seem like a decent enough idea, but that's going to build a bad habit, because whatever this system is doing does not play well with driving the vehicle properly. It's not consistent, either, and even when used deliberately sometimes it does it's job, and sometimes it chatters.

Without correcting the odd-ball throttle response, I can't know how big of an issue that really is.

Also, shifting from first to second, it's readily observable that the RPMs don't behave as expected, or consistently. That's the hardest first to second in any car I've ever driven.

When you're moving faster any issues are masked by inertia, but I will say that this vehicle launches like it's got 35bhp; unless you let it do it's thing, in which case it feels like it's got 47bhp. In first gear it is being nerfed severely; as if someone's shoved a potato in the intake. Something is telling this car not to go, and it's saying it in every language the vehicle speaks. To me, this feels like a protection method for shipping that dealerships are forgetting to disable, but apparently these are "features" somehow.

What we have here is potentially one of the best cars ever manufactured, but as delivered... Well, there's no other way to say this... It's one of the worst, because it's like window shopping. You can see this torque, but you won't get to use it.

Now, if it only felt 20 down, that would not be such a big deal, but this thing is less responsive off the line than a three-cylinder Fiesta which, to be entirely fair, is quicker than you'd think.

I can say this with absolute certainty: If I can't get this corrected, this clutch will not last very long. The vehicle's odd behavior will cause necessary actions and resulting dynamics that will prematurely wear it out.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Some of that may be solved by changing the way throttle input is measured, as I found suggested in another thread; moving from duration to angle, or something of the like.

There may be other factors at play, or that might be a slight effect. I'll begin to find things out soon, but in the meantime, suggestions are welcome.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Is your car stock? If so, all these issues may be solved with tuning which modifies or disables these “features.”

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Is your car stock? If so, all these issues may be solved with tuning which modifies or disables these “features.”

It is indeed stock. I've got a warranty to consider, but tinkering with a few settings that have been mentioned before shouldn't upset anything.

I do intend to call those APR folks and run down my observations, because I don't think this can be completely corrected simply by flipping a couple of digital switches. It feels too "baked in". I'm not after some performance tune to add power. I'm after correcting a vehicle design mistake. If this is sorted, no further power is required.

What baffles me is the fact that it's there at all, really. They've almost completely neutered the vehicle with that nonsense.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It is indeed stock. I've got a warranty to consider, but tinkering with a few settings that have been mentioned before shouldn't upset anything.

I do intend to call those APR folks and run down my observations, because I don't think this can be completely corrected simply by flipping a couple of digital switches. It feels too "baked in". I'm not after some performance tune to add power. I'm after correcting a vehicle design mistake. If this is sorted, no further power is required.

What baffles me is the fact that it's there at all, really. They've almost completely neutered the vehicle with that nonsense.

Since you're under warranty what does the dealer say about this? Maybe they would reflash the ECU.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I'll have a dealer appointment next week sometime, but this is one of those places that can't be trusted. They're almost universally reviled for hundreds of miles, but this is a college town with high turnover and short memory, and they sell on the web nowadays anyway. Otherwise, they'd have tanked years ago. I'm just using these guys to maintain the warranty by servicing at appropriate intervals; I can't trust anything that they say, unfortunately.

My health is too poor at this time to drive much further; which is why every mile of fun counts so much for me.

The fun is in there somewhere... It's just got to come out. Right now it's actually a bit of a hassle, but I do expect this can be sorted. I just want to correct the factory stuff first. I've seen many assertions of these issues with varying degrees of severity, and I think that's coming down to varying levels of familiarity with manual transmissions in regard to the owners, as well as what they've driven before. Either way, it's not in my head and I see no indication that it's vehicle-specific.

Just wish I understood why VW did it.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
How experienced are you at driving a manual car?? Sounds to me like you may be slipping the clutch, and for a prolonged period at that!!

this is not a dig at your driving ability,, but merely a genuine theory.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
How experienced are you at driving a manual car?? Sounds to me like you may be slipping the clutch, and for a prolonged period at that!!

this is not a dig at your driving ability,, but merely a genuine theory.

I can say with certainty that Volkswagen cannot build a car I'm not qualified to drive correctly. This car simply does not follow my instructions.

There's a difference between getting used to a different vehicle, and then testing the individual functions. I've verified that my inputs are not being applied in the manner they were delivered.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I can say with certainty that Volkswagen cannot build a car I'm not qualified to drive correctly. This car simply does not follow my instructions.

There's a difference between getting used to a different vehicle, and then testing the individual functions. I've verified that my inputs are not being applied in the manner they were delivered.
Good luck. I had a tune flashed to my car within 500mi because of how undriveable it was due to throttle mapping and rev hang. It was that or return/sell.

A7xogg

Passed Driver's Ed
Drive with esc off, then do those tests again. And I'd recommend doing some coding for the throttle response/ 1st gear dampening

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Good luck. I had a tune flashed to my car within 500mi because of how undriveable it was due to throttle mapping and rev hang. It was that or return/sell.

Yup. It's a big issue.

The combination of those two "features" is damning, from a drivability perspective.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Drive with esc off, then do those tests again. And I'd recommend doing some coding for the throttle response/ 1st gear dampening

Yes, I'm working through all the iterations slowly, so I'm sure to determine what's happening; seeing what stays resident, and what needs to be enabled upon start, etc... So far, nothing has removed the issues, and I certainly don't want to "get used" to this.

I will be limited in what I can personally do with programming, as I've never used this system before and reference information is a bit scattered about and doesn't always agree; then there's the "tunes". Well, that doesn't really tell me what the company actually tuned, and I don't expect they'll come clean, either. As noted, I'll call a few. I've got a short list here to ask the same questions, and see if I get the same answers from all of them.

I've found that's the best way to get past confusion in regard to highly popular vehicles with standardized modification practice.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
To use an example some may find more familiar, this is like me stepping over to your FPS computer and turning on mouse acceleration after lowering your DPI to 350.

Doesn't matter how fast that computer will run Quake 3 or CS: Source... You're still going to have a poor time and lose. :ROFLMAO:

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
CS 1.5 (I believe it was early 2000s) cal-m here so I get you game reference. Lol

Always made sure my mouse sensitivity was at 4.5 before playing.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
CS 1.5 (I believe it was early 2000s) cal-m here so I get you game reference. Lol

It's actually not too bad an analogy, when you think about it. The skill is there, the power is there, but the user interface is getting in the way. LMAO

There's no linear relationship between input and action.

I was going to say Doom '93 with a wireless keyboard, but only a handful of people would get that one. The mouse is a better analogy, anyway.