GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big(er) turbos and the 1.8

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
This discussion has quickly gone above my pay grade but I’m curious to see how these builds pan out, especially the limits of the 1.8T’s cast internals.
What's cast? The crank is the only non forged. Its nodular iron. I'm guessing if everything else is tuned properly, that may or may not be the weak spot. Ringlands can go even on forged pistons though if they are the weak spot

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Excited to see what others do. I'm IS38 UM tuned currently and want to push it a bit more. I have a 2.0 HPFP and S3 injectors that I was looking to install along with UMs ProFkex kit but Fred told me he didn't think they would be able to support those mods, which is different from what I heard before. Not sure where to go with it now, try to get those items sorted out or just go MPI
I am using UM for my build. We are using PR MPI and Fuel Pump upgrade to get the 400+WHP I am after. I'll add the flex fuel sensor and tune for that as well. We are modifying the stock intake manifold to fit the MPI fuel rail, since it will take over a month for a Euro manifold to arrive and I need my car back ASAP. I am stopping by the shop today to inspect as it has been 4 days since I dropped it off.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
In the Dragy thread the experts said the 1.8T has cast pistons and rods.
Nikolai who now owns Chuck's car has had a few of the 1.8 engines apart. He said the rods and pistons are forged. I believe it is in VW specs that way as well. He said there wasn't too much difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 gti pistons and rods when side by side other than the little bit of length difference. The crank on the other hand has smaller journals and counterweights. It weighed 7lbs less. That is huge. The lighter weight, smaller counter weights and shorter stroke all mean that it will endure less stress on it. It is still weaker being nodular, but I ran over 500lbs of torque on a nodular crank before in a V8. Never had issues.

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Nikolai who now owns Chuck's car has had a few of the 1.8 engines apart. He said the rods and pistons are forged. I believe it is in VW specs that way as well. He said there wasn't too much difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 gti pistons and rods when side by side other than the little bit of length difference. The crank on the other hand has smaller journals and counterweights. It weighed 7lbs less. That is huge. The lighter weight, smaller counter weights and shorter stroke all mean that it will endure less stress on it. It is still weaker being nodular, but I ran over 500lbs of torque on a nodular crank before in a V8. Never had issues.
Dear lord, that is a huge sigh of relief!!! Can't wait to see how far we can push it.

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
I heard my car start this afternoon! It's leaving tomorrow to get tuned, and I should have it back on Friday! Also found an exhaust leak at the DP to Catback connection. Gotta find a solution for that.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
I heard my car start this afternoon! It's leaving tomorrow to get tuned, and I should have it back on Friday! Also found an exhaust leak at the DP to Catback connection. Gotta find a solution for that.
Nice, looking forward to hear your results

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
My Turbo is #137 and we did a huge group buy here in Maryland. I've spoke with Daniel several times about being the first 1.8T with his turbo. I went with Journal just to keep the engine mostly in one piece while we test the limits of this engine. Just to mention, I have a GTI block that I got for $350 from a 10k mile engine. So there is always that path should we get there.
Crxgator ran a DBV2 on his 1.8 alltrack like a year ago. So you wont be the first. I know he had a really hard rim with it spooling on the 1.8. I think they were suspecting that the no vvtl on the exhaust cam was the issue. Maybe a more aggressive lift on the exhaust cam could help. It's been mentioned that the last gen GLI exhaust cam may have more lift, but no one has actually confirmed it. It doesn't have vvtl.

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Crxgator ran a DBV2 on his 1.8 alltrack like a year ago. So you wont be the first. I know he had a really hard rim with it spooling on the 1.8. I think they were suspecting that the no vvtl on the exhaust cam was the issue. Maybe a more aggressive lift on the exhaust cam could help. It's been mentioned that the last gen GLI exhaust cam may have more lift, but no one has actually confirmed it. It doesn't have vvtl.

I am going to use the GLI exhaust cam when I go 2.0L and by then I'd like to upgrade to the TBB. I currently have a V1 Journal Bearing.

Yeah I had a dbv2 v2 over a year ago. See if you can get the v1 TBB instead.

https://datazap.me/u/crxgator/log-1537676551?log=0&data=1-3-4
I remember that you had it, but when your engine failed, you went with the GLI engine swap. Did you keep the DBV2?

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
FB_IMG_1581624387518.jpg

IMG_20200214_202039~2.jpg

IMG_20200214_202047~2.jpg

This thing hauls ass in boost. Haven't tried E85 yet. I have a half a tank of 93 right now. I'll probably give a few gallons a try when I fill up.

Anyone have the gen3 GLI exhaust camshaft part number? Looking to add more valve lift next winter, and I hear it's pretty cheap. Cheers gang!

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
I saw the post on fb this morning, very nice! So with the UM flex does it automatically adjust the tune for varying mixes of 93oct and varying amounts of actual ethanol content in the e85?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
View attachment 165543

View attachment 165544

View attachment 165545

This thing hauls ass in boost. Haven't tried E85 yet. I have a half a tank of 93 right now. I'll probably give a few gallons a try when I fill up.

Anyone have the gen3 GLI exhaust camshaft part number? Looking to add more valve lift next winter, and I hear it's pretty cheap. Cheers gang!
Do you know for sure that the gli cam has more lift? I've never been able to find the specs for the cams for any of the engines

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you know for sure that the gli cam has more lift? I've never been able to find the specs for the cams for any of the engines
According to Nikolai it is a different P/N. And because it's a "performance model" I would think it has a bit more lift and possibly more duration. I had asked him to dig up the P/N next time he was at the shop. I'll bug him again this week and report back.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
According to Nikolai it is a different P/N. And because it's a "performance model" I would think it has a bit more lift and possibly more duration. I had asked him to dig up the P/N next time he was at the shop. I'll bug him again this week and report back.

Maybe I'll bug him some too. Lol. Let's get an answer on it. If so, it would help with any low end spool issues on the bigger turbos and could just make the 1.8 all around more fun with even is20 and is38