GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strut tower cut-off for camber adjustment

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I have Koni yellows and just bought SuperPro camber mounts. The combo is going to require cutting. The camber mounts have a 3" circular plateau. Considering cutting a 3" circle for the plateau to fit through. Considering...

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
That plateau will not likely require any kind of modifications as they are pretty much a carbon copy of the 034 plates.

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
Understood. I think the 2" punch out would be plenty for that.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Helped a friend who bought Tein adjustables and SP mounts. The cutout had to be modified due to the angle and piston/adjuster length. No doubt I will face the same with the yellows. Anyway, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Helped a friend who bought Tein adjustables and SP mounts. The cutout had to be modified due to the angle and piston/adjuster length. No doubt I will face the same with the yellows. Anyway, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

I don't understand why more manufactures don't just mount the adjuster on the bottom of the shock. Some even have both compression and rebound on the lower knob. It especially makes sense on the rears to mount on the lower portion of the shock. I can reach all of mine by just reaching under the car and around the wheel/tire.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I don't understand why more manufactures don't just mount the adjuster on the bottom of the shock. Some even have both compression and rebound on the lower knob. It especially makes sense on the rears to mount on the lower portion of the shock. I can reach all of mine by just reaching under the car and around the wheel/tire.

I know right?! I bet it’s cost related.

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
One final follow-up here.... I ended up getting a manual 2" ducting punch which can be purchased new for $40 and using that to open up my shock towers to support the GC camber plates. I also purchased the GC coilover kit that will work with stock or aftermarket shocks. GC allows you to pick spring length and rate, combine that with the articulating rear perch and it clearly leads the way in both performance and cost.

Here is a picture of the punch out tool as I was opening up the towers. Total time was about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Hey EVILAUDI, obviously total time from wheels up to down wasn't 10 minutes, but that's okay ? love the car! Goddamn Audis sharp af.

I'm gravitating to printing a jig like burgerkong's since it doesn't require strut removal, but for reference, did the punch leave any sharp points?

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
I agree if you can avoid removing the strut that saves a bunch of time. Below are pics of the results. Overall its fairly smooth but I do plan to file it a bit smoother and hit the edges with some primer. The cool part is there is no debris just the single piece you punched out. No matter what approach you take, I think a dremel tool with sanding disk would make quick work of any sharp edges. You can click on and zoom in on these pics.

Last edited:

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone here have any experience with vwr tracksport coilovers or ASTs in this platform? Really considering this as the rear is a "true coilover design" eliminating the inboard spring

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
Be sure the mount point for the shock is designed to take on the added load and stress of the spring. On my car the upper mount is not designed to absorb and dissipate the added stress that the spring puts on the upper mount.