GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tires for GTI MK7

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I'm in Austin and use summer tires year round. Just don't act like a Goofball when it's freezing outside. I use Indy 500's

^ This. Lived in Dallas for 12 years and Austin for the last 8.

I never wore all season rubber, summer tires is where it’s at.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
You're in a warm enough climate you could probably get away with running summers all year long.

I've got Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my car and they've been fantastic. They're not bad in the rain either.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
The Conti ECS mentioned is a good summer tire though I only got 13,500 miles out of my set in the Bay Area, so that may happen to you too. I'm thinking they wore quickly due to overall time spent on the low end of their rated temperature abilities.

I am running the Conti DWS06 as of two weeks ago. So far loving the tire.

To your original question: The Eagle Sport All Season... we have those on my wife's MK7 Golf and they have been a VERY good tire. I got them on double stacked rebate for $86/tire, too. No complaints.

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you looking for ultimate grip or just good tires that perform well? While you can run summer tires all year long that give you the best grip/performance, keep in mind they generally don't last as long as all-season tires so your "bang for the buck" is as good as going with most all-seasons. You have to consider your priorities. I would suggest doing additional research on tirerack.

richief556

Passed Driver's Ed
I've used those tires before, same size too.

They're good tires. Tread life isn't great if you drive hard, so don't wait to rotate ?
thx JC, thats good to know!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
1. decide what you want to use them for (all seasons, track, high performance, winter)
2. If its hot all the time where you are and you want good tires that are costly (go with michelin Pss)
3. if you want good, but cheaper tires there are tons (indy 500's, dws06) are the 2 other main contenders
4. All seasons everyone gets michelin A/S 3+ or whatever

goodluck

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I also live in a warm climate. I went with continental extreme contact sport and in a larger size of 235s. They're really good even in semi wet weather. Definitely go with summer / hi performance tires if you live in a warm climate imo.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
As I recall, there were/are only 2 summer tires worth buying. Don't cheap out, you're betting your life and the lives of everyone in your car! I looked at Conti's ECS and Michelin PS4S. The PS4S seemed to be better on paper so I bought those. They stick like glue as long as you don't exceed the laws of physics.

As for tread wear, newbies need to realize that all ultra high performance tires are made with a soft rubber. And soft rubber wears much faster than hard rubber. If you bought hipo tires you bought them for performance, so don't expect to get more than 12K miles or so from them if you drive in city, where you're constantly stopping and starting. The fronts wear faster on a FWD car, and still wear faster with AWD. And I don't know about you, but I go with the study I read where once you get down to 4/32" depth your performance drops considerably, especially on wet roads. They only have about 9-1/2 32nds to start, so take that into consideration. You want long treadwear, go look what Gramps is rocking on his SUV.

Last edited: