GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big(er) turbos and the 1.8

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Subbed just for the hell of it

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Damn, you're always on top of the pulse! Mabo has a HPFP and LPFP working in Maestro?? Where can I keep up to date with that build? FB?

The only real issue with the HPFP is at idle. So I'm not sure if he has encountered it yet or if even aware. When it's not cold out, there is no problem. Under driving there is no problem. The idle pressure fluctuates and when you are trying a cold start below 50F, it will cause an EPC. The tune that fixes that gets rid of the fluctuation and also some other communication things with the ECU, HPFP and LPFP. I think that some inexperienced tuners just tried to put the GTI fuel tables into Maestro thinking that would be the fix. It just made it worse. I drove with the HPFP for about a month with no problems other than cold start. My AFR and trims were great, but it showed that injectors were definitely needed as well.

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping this thread from the dead.

Unfortunately, my IS12 has siezed it's waste gate actuator at 53,634 miles. Fortunately for me, I have been holding onto a DBV2 journal bearing turbo for nearly 9 months and this presents the perfect time to get this installation done!!

IMG_20190614_124533.jpg

The existing modifications to my 2017 GSW 4motion 6mt are as follows:
  • Revo 3" catted downpipe
  • IE intercooler
  • IE Carbon intake
  • South Bend Stage 2 Enduro SMF clutch kit
  • APR IS12 stage 2 ECU tune @20k miles
  • Porsche 996 Carrera Brakes/ 330x28mm Mercedes vented and cross-drilled rotors
A potential list of necessary modifications to run properly include:
  • Precision Raceworks 925cc MPI kit
  • Precision Raceworks Stage 3 LPFP kit
  • GTI/R 2.0L direct injectors?
  • GTI/R 2.0L HPFP?
  • Flex Fuel sensor
  • United Motorsport ECU and Haldex tuning
I am highly concerned with the strength of the internals. But I have a contingency plan to swap a GTI block and retain the 1.8 head for management reasons if things go sour.

Does anyone know why Chuck G's IS38 4mo GSW failed? Was it fueling? Does anyone know the power limit of this engine?

I am well aware of the capital infusion I am dumping into this car, but the idea of a stupid fast wagon has always been on my list, and now is the time! I have been in touch with Fred@UM and he is ready to make it happen.

Navi

Autocross Champion

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Chuck's failed because he was running R injectors on the stock hpfp. He was is38 100 octane with jb4 stack and e30

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Chuck's failed because he was running R injectors on the stock hpfp. He was is38 100 octane with jb4 stack and e30
Thanks, Dad!

So his was never properly tuned?! I should expect some more reliability out of my car with a UM tune, and just work with the stock HPFP and injectors until y'all can sort out the cold start idle issues with the 2.0 HPFP.

Just 7 more business days and I'll have my car back!!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, Dad!

So his was never properly tuned?! I should expect some more reliability out of my car with a UM tune, and just work with the stock HPFP and injectors until y'all can sort out the cold start idle issues with the 2.0 HPFP.

Just 7 more business days and I'll have my car back!!
He was pushing more fuel through the injectors than the stock hpfp could keep up with. He was only using the jb4 for logging and it doesn't log enough parameters to pick up the one injector going lean.
Seeing that an Alltrack with heavy ass tires pushed 390awhp, I would think that a light wheel set up would easily see 425whp and less strain on the drivetrain and engine than those heavy ones

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Bumping this thread from the dead.

Unfortunately, my IS12 has siezed it's waste gate actuator at 53,634 miles. Fortunately for me, I have been holding onto a DBV2 journal bearing turbo for nearly 9 months and this presents the perfect time to get this installation done!!

View attachment 163751

The existing modifications to my 2017 GSW 4motion 6mt are as follows:
  • Revo 3" catted downpipe
  • IE intercooler
  • IE Carbon intake
  • South Bend Stage 2 Enduro SMF clutch kit
  • APR IS12 stage 2 ECU tune @20k miles
  • Porsche 996 Carrera Brakes/ 330x28mm Mercedes vented and cross-drilled rotors
A potential list of necessary modifications to run properly include:
  • Precision Raceworks 925cc MPI kit
  • Precision Raceworks Stage 3 LPFP kit
  • GTI/R 2.0L direct injectors?
  • GTI/R 2.0L HPFP?
  • Flex Fuel sensor
  • United Motorsport ECU and Haldex tuning
I am highly concerned with the strength of the internals. But I have a contingency plan to swap a GTI block and retain the 1.8 head for management reasons if things go sour.

Does anyone know why Chuck G's IS38 4mo GSW failed? Was it fueling? Does anyone know the power limit of this engine?

I am well aware of the capital infusion I am dumping into this car, but the idea of a stupid fast wagon has always been on my list, and now is the time! I have been in touch with Fred@UM and he is ready to make it happen.

Contact DBV2 and make sure that turbo is good. Had a local around here that got an early DBV2 that had problems. Doesn't hurt to check before putting it in.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
I’m planning a similar route in a ‘19 1.8T 4mo GSW with a TPC20 (IS20 hybrid), ROW intake manifold with MPI rail, PR450 LPFP & harness, and Bosch 980cc injectors for the secondary fuel rail.

My understanding from doing a lot of reading here (and talking to Fred & others) is that MPI/LPFP is really what you need on the 1.8T to run a hybrid with full fueling. I don’t think the 2.0 HPFP & R injectors are needed, at least Jaryd’s AT has been running 10k+ miles just fine without them.

Other supporting mods: Macan brake upgrade, Milltek catted DP, AMS IC, BFI S1 engine/tranny mounts, powerflex DB insert, R RSB/Moog endlinks, MSS Sports springs, wheels/tires, TTRS clutch.

Currently everything is sitting in the garage off the car, other than the wheels/tires/RSB/MSS kit. I’m totally stock power-wise at around 8.5k miles. I’m waiting to see if EcuTek supports the 1.8T so I can potentially get a remote dyno tune via EQT. Otherwise sounds like we’re planning a similar project via UM, yours being more urgent due to your OEM turbo blowing up.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! Not many people have gone this route yet and several of us are waiting on the sidelines.

I was also reading comments on TPC’s social pages that they’re planning a smaller “Stage 1” IS20 hybrid for the 1.8T (the “Stage 3” TPC20 that I bought apparently maxes the wheel sizes in the IS20 housing), which might not require this degree of fueling mods...

Might be worth giving them a call.

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
He was pushing more fuel through the injectors than the stock hpfp could keep up with. He was only using the jb4 for logging and it doesn't log enough parameters to pick up the one injector going lean.
Seeing that an Alltrack with heavy ass tires pushed 390awhp, I would think that a light wheel set up would easily see 425whp and less strain on the drivetrain and engine than those heavy ones

Excellent to hear. I have Neuspeed RSE10 18x8 and 225/40/18 PS4S for summer. Should be a riot when all is said and done.

Contact DBV2 and make sure that turbo is good. Had a local around here that got an early DBV2 that had problems. Doesn't hurt to check before putting it in.
My Turbo is #137 and we did a huge group buy here in Maryland. I've spoke with Daniel several times about being the first 1.8T with his turbo. I went with Journal just to keep the engine mostly in one piece while we test the limits of this engine. Just to mention, I have a GTI block that I got for $350 from a 10k mile engine. So there is always that path should we get there.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Excited to see what others do. I'm IS38 UM tuned currently and want to push it a bit more. I have a 2.0 HPFP and S3 injectors that I was looking to install along with UMs ProFkex kit but Fred told me he didn't think they would be able to support those mods, which is different from what I heard before. Not sure where to go with it now, try to get those items sorted out or just go MPI

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Excited to see what others do. I'm IS38 UM tuned currently and want to push it a bit more. I have a 2.0 HPFP and S3 injectors that I was looking to install along with UMs ProFkex kit but Fred told me he didn't think they would be able to support those mods, which is different from what I heard before. Not sure where to go with it now, try to get those items sorted out or just go MPI
I'm on the 2.0 hpfp with Reflect tuning. I'm not sure if he has tuned beyond is38 for the 1.8 though. If you go port injection with UM though, you won't need the larger injectors and hpfp. The mpi will be delivering the extra fuel needed. So it just depends on what fuel delivery method you lean on for the demand

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Oh, and a fuel “T”. Unless you want a shiny billet CTS/PR secondary fuel rail, in which case the holes are already drilled into the ROW manifold to install.